AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Lunor eyeglasses (Steve's brand)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Lunor eyeglasses (Steve's brand)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-10-28, 16:39

I just bought myself a pair of Lunor Ideal I 381 glasses. Steve wore the Lunor Round, that classically simple throwback round look we all knew. It struck me the other day, thinking about his Gipetto-esque glasses, that Steve chose that style because they fit with that idea; that Steve was able to bring inanimate objects to life, so he may as well look the part.

I chose the glasses, not because Steve wore them (in fact, mine are not even close to his style), but because Steve chose them. His taste was just awesome, and I'll find out soon enough if it was $1,035 well-spent or not.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-10-28, 16:54

Prepare for 99%ers to be camped on your lawn by Midnight.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-10-28, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Prepare for 99%ers to be camped on your lawn by Midnight.

Lol

Why, because I have no debt (literally none), paid my college loans and fought in the war in Iraq? I drive an old car and save my money, so when the wife or I want something, we discuss it and weigh it out.

I don't have much great stuff except for an iPad and these handcrafted glasses.

Also, I think you mean the 9.1%ers. That's the unemployment rate, right?

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-28, 17:04

Every other post of yours is "look at how rich and indiscriminate in my spending I am". Maybe you aren't actually like that, but that's how you come across. Unless you're trying to satirize the stereotypical Apple fan, I'm not sure why you'd want to do this.

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2011-10-28, 17:12

Haven't we been here before!

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-10-28, 17:16

No? Why is it even an issue what someone spends or does with their money, if they earned it and they aren't being parasitic?

You guys are really getting carried away with the class warfare stuff. It's really easy, folks, you either sit around and complain or you stand up and take action. The only action I know of that solves anything is hard work.

All I wanted to do was discuss this eyewear brand, to hear people thoughts on my choice or on luxury glasses as a whole. Much in the same way we did with watches a few months back.

By the way, I wear a $7 WalMart watch. I love it. It's just so basic and simple.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-10-28, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
Lol

Why, because I have no debt (literally none), paid my college loans and fought in the war in Iraq? I drive an old car and save my money, so when the wife or I want something, we discuss it and weigh it out.
jesus christ... you make the military look so bad.... constantly.... entitled brat

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-10-28, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
jesus christ... you make the military look so bad.... constantly.... entitled brat
How am I acting entitled? Seriously.

I wear a Walmart "timepiece" and my only cool possession is an iPad and pair of glasses. That makes me a brat?

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-10-28, 18:12

Quote:
How am I acting entitled? Seriously.

I wear a Walmart "timepiece" and my only cool possession is an iPad and pair of glasses. That makes me a brat?
you are anything but humble when it comes to your service. (which we are all grateful for btw)

really pretty sad, and I'm disappointed in your training and superiors for making you that way.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-10-28, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
you are anything but humble when it comes to your service. (which we are all grateful for btw)

really pretty sad, and I'm disappointed in your training and superiors for making you that way.
I'm disappointed in our culture for making you the way you are.

I have a combat action badge and nearly lost my life for what? Disrespect, I guess. Also, your comment sheds light on the fact that you believe that military personnel (including those with degrees) are all of the same mind. That's a horribly closed-minded belief.

I'm leaving active duty in a week. I already have a job. How entitled.

You derailed this and sidetracked it due to some kind of inferiority complex. Jeez. I just wanted to talk about a nice noun (thing).

All I wanted to do was discuss!!!

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2011-10-28 at 18:33.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-10-28, 18:36

I want to see the glasses, by the way.... I love eyeglasses and telephones.

Got a link or a photo?

(told you to be prepared for the onslaught... one day you'll learn how to post on here without drawing fire )

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-10-28, 18:46

Quote:
I want to see the glasses, by the way.... I love eyeglasses and telephones.

Got a link or a photo?

(told you to be prepared for the onslaught... one day you'll learn how to post on here without drawing fire )

I like you. Let's discuss these. I'll post pics in a moment.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-10-28, 18:49

Man, I thought my (as-yet unfulfilled) desire for a pair of ic! Berlins was extravagant.

I'm trying to justify the Berlins to myself on account of their near-indestructability, but, still...

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-10-28, 18:52

I don't even want to think of $1000+ glasses with the thought of what mine go through...>_<

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-10-28, 18:58

http://www.lunor.de/lunor/images/sto...-2011-web2.pdf

Page 26.

I got mine with grey transitions lenses, and the works when it comes to lense treatments. I chose antique silver for the frames.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-10-28, 18:59

I like rimless glasses. My last pair were rimless across the bottom of the lens, and I'm constantly looking for better solutions.

Although I could never justify a grand for eyeglasses, I might have them if I had a cool billion in the bank!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-10-28, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I like rimless glasses. My last pair were rimless across the bottom of the lens, and I'm constantly looking for better solutions.

Although I could never justify a grand for eyeglasses, I might have them if I had a cool billion in the bank!
Steve's cost half as much as mine! I bet his had some kind of annodized aluminum in them though, or some laser precision, custom fit...I mean, it was STEVE. lol

I don't even think it is something to be concerned about, so long as they last 15-20 years. They are under an extremely nice warranty, as well.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-10-28, 19:44

The most expensive glasses I ever bought were a pair of Takumis back in the mid-90s. They were the bleeding edge at the time.... magnetic sunglasses clipped on. Today that's a common option, but these were SO much cooler because the clips FOLDED IN HALF. Beautiful precision. I still have them but retired them because I don't want to lose them. I count them as "precious" artifacts of the 90s. They don't make them like this anymore... at least I don't think they do.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-10-28, 19:48

Quote:
The most expensive glasses I ever bought were a pair of Takumis back in the mid-90s. They were the bleeding edge at the time.... magnetic sunglasses clipped on. Today that's a common option, but these were SO much cooler because the clips FOLDED IN HALF. Beautiful precision. I still have them but retired them because I don't want to lose them. I count them as "precious" artifacts of the 90s. They don't make them like this anymore... at least I don't think they do.

Damn! They sound cool. Any pics?

I hope the ones I ordered just last and last. Glasses like the Lunors are not necessarily an investment, but if treated well, certainly could hold their value better than most eyeglasses out there.

I think I'm most excited for the anti-glare and reflection. Just an extremely functional and yet streamlined design. A hugely steep price, no doubt, but I'll baby them forever.

They'll be my artifact from the 2010-2030 era.

I wonder what the cheapest way to order a brand like Lunor is?

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2011-10-28 at 20:04.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-10-28, 21:47

Not many "cheap" ways, especially if you want to make sure that they're fitted to you with any skill. I'll look for some photos of my Takumis or else pull them out and shoot a few pics.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-10-28, 22:10

Quote:
Not many "cheap" ways, especially if you want to make sure that they're fitted to you with any skill. I'll look for some photos of my Takumis or else pull them out and shoot a few pics.
Sounds good, and can't wait to see. I'll put up some pics of mine once they arrive in mid-November. They're being handmade right now, somewhere in Germany.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-10-29, 06:21

Quote:
No? Why is it even an issue what someone spends or does with their money, if they earned it and they aren't being parasitic?

You guys are really getting carried away with the class warfare stuff. It's really easy, folks, you either sit around and complain or you stand up and take action. The only action I know of that solves anything is hard work.
And the countless supporters of the Occupy movement who have jobs, and are standing up and taking action against the massive financial inequity here, you would have us forget them?

As Moogs, I believe, said elsewhere, it takes more courage to stand against a flawed system than to ignore the problems and go with the flow. You are going with the flow. The Occupy movement folks are standing up to the system.

murbot
Hoonigan

2011-10-29, 09:25

I imagine they look better in person? Just going by that photo in the pdf, they look like an exact replica of some $5 WalMart reading glasses my MIL wears in the office. I should take a picture of them. Not trying to shit on your parade, but it really struck me as such. I'm sure they feel great, comfy, etc.

A grand for glasses. Damn, dude. That's one hell of a killer long weekend away with lots of booze and shenanigans. (heh. shenanigans. funny word.)

ronmexico

2011-10-29, 10:16

What you do with your money is your business, my friend. Some people complain about what you spend on glasses, but drool over photos of others with 6 computers cramped onto one desk. C'est la vie

I appreciate your service

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-10-29, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
And the countless supporters of the Occupy movement who have jobs, and are standing up and taking action against the massive financial inequity here, you would have us forget them?

As Moogs, I believe, said elsewhere, it takes more courage to stand against a flawed system than to ignore the problems and go with the flow. You are going with the flow. The Occupy movement folks are standing up to the system.
Oh shut up.

Was I "going with the flow" when I joined the 1% (that other 1%) that ever serves in our nation's military? Was I "going with the flow" when most of my generation was spending night after night in the bars while I was in Iraq, training a sovereign nation's military forces in our tactics, techniques and procedures? Was I "going with the flow" when I received my CAB for the events of 6 June, 2011 in Sadr City? You're the blind, ungrateful, little sheep that you think I am. And this needs to be said because people like you need to be pushed back against, because your mind has been freakishly demented by a failed education system (both in your own home and the public school system) and yet you try to tell me "how it really is." I don't care if you went to Harvard (I doubt it) because you're just really nothing special. I'm not either, but I am certainly not a twisted, coddled, "gimme now" fuck from my frighteningly misguided generation.

And by the way, you're on an Apple (AAPL) forum. You know, Apple...one of the most cash rich corporations in the world? This is a forum that exists because of that corporation. Sort of like how jobs exist because of those corporations, how lives are enriched because of (some) corporations, and especially how innovations are made due to them.

Maybe speed-read Atlas Shrugged this weekend, listen to a Dick Morris speech, and then crack open your $1,500 computer and update your Facebook status to: "Okay...I think I've been confused." Of course, you won't do that because you're smarter than just about everyone.

Don't worry, I won't be reading your reply to this, in the case that you or your other "buds" post one. A nice feature of my $1,000 glasses is that they filter out bullshit.

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2011-10-29 at 10:43.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-10-29, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico View Post
What you do with your money is your business, my friend. Some people complain about what you spend on glasses, but drool over photos of others with 6 computers cramped onto one desk. C'est la vie

I appreciate your service
My thoughts exactly, and thank you.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-10-29, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
I imagine they look better in person? Just going by that photo in the pdf, they look like an exact replica of some $5 WalMart reading glasses my MIL wears in the office. I should take a picture of them. Not trying to shit on your parade, but it really struck me as such. I'm sure they feel great, comfy, etc.

A grand for glasses. Damn, dude. That's one hell of a killer long weekend away with lots of booze and shenanigans. (heh. shenanigans. funny word.)
Well, they have telescoping frames, transitions lenses, an extremely high build quality, and crizal lens treatment, etc. Def not walmart. But then again, the only person who will know that the glasses are anything special are my wife and I. I wouldn't tell my family what they were unless they asked, which they probably won't, as they too will probably see them as "hmm, okay."

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-29, 10:59

Call me crazy, but I'm noticing a pattern here...

Chris, we all (I think) appreciate your service. It's when you constantly bring it up/point it out, unsolicited, that it kinda feels "Nick Burns-y" to some ("...you're welcome!").

There isn't a soul here at AN who doesn't know what you've chosen to do the past few years. And I'd say 97% are appreciative and grateful.

Let that be enough and don't worry about throwing your resumé/deeds in the face of the other 3% every time the opportunity presents itself.

You have to admit, you do tie in that topic with any thread your start (or in any thread where you have a heavy presence). We've talked about this before...someone who's done great or meaningful things doesn't need to crow about it to strangers. The people who truly need to know, and who appreciate it, already do. You know that. It can come across as a bit "chest-thumping" or self-important when you use the least little provocation as a launching pad to list your accomplishments when nobody's really asking (or even doubting). It would be different if everyone here was slamming you for it, or saying you were making it all up or whatever. Nobody is. Or would.

That you managed to somehow insert it into a thread about eyewear took some skill and thought and raises the bar!

But seriously, enjoy your glasses. I can't believe I've made it to 42, doing what I do, and still don't need them (and still have really super good vision...knock on wood)! I imagine the day will come when I will be making a trip to Lenscrafters...I hope they have some nice frames to fit this biscuit head.

For the record, I don't give a damn what anyone pays for something with money they earned. It's not my business if I'm not footing the bill. I admire their ability to do it, and I don't envy their success or wealth (it makes me want to work harder/smarter so I can treat myself sometimes too).

In fact, buy a Hummer, a couple of assault rifles and a subscription to The Weekly Standard and really get the joint stirred up...don't stop at expensive eyeglasses!

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-10-29, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I'm noticing a pattern here...

Chris, we all (I think) appreciate your service. It's when you constantly bring it up/point it out, unsolicited, that it kinda feels "Nick Burns-y" to some ("...you're welcome!").

There isn't a soul here at AN who doesn't know what you've chosen to do the past few years. And I'd say 97% are appreciative and grateful.

Let that be enough and don't worry about throwing your resumé/deeds in the face of the other 3% every time the opportunity presents itself.

You have to admit, you do tie in that topic with any thread your start (or in any thread where you have a heavy presence). We've talked about this before...someone who's done great or meaningful things doesn't need to crow about it to strangers. The people who truly need to know, and who appreciate it, already do. It can come across as a bit "chest-thumping" or self-important when you use the least little provocation as a launching pad to list your accomplishments when nobody's really asking (or doubting).

That you managed to somehow insert it into a thread about eyewear took some skill and thought and raises the bar!

But seriously, enjoy your glasses. I can't believe I've made it to 42, doing what I do, and still don't need them (and still have really super good vision...knock on wood)! I imagine the day will come when I do...

For the record, I don't give a damn what anyone pays for something with money they earned. It's not my business if I'm not footing the bill. I admire their ability to do it, and I don't envy their success or wealth (it makes me want to work harder/smarter so I can treat myself sometimes too).

In fact, buy a Hummer, a couple of assault rifles and a subscription to The Weekly Standard and really get the joint stirred up...don't stop at expensive eyeglasses!

On the contrary, if you read my original post, I don't think I mention anything related to it. But you are right, and I do realize that the "other 3%" is literally the malcontent, vocal fringe. But my resume? I don't even touch on that. If you really wanted to see it though, it would probably rile up these people as much as posting a video of me getting out of a yellow Hummer to gas up, leaned up against it, while reading the Weekly Standard.

Your last comment is pretty funny. Maybe a subscription to GBTV, too? lol

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-29, 11:11

No, but your second one did (you delayed it by 23 minutes ), in response to Drew's "99%-er" (which I didn't even get or understand).

EDIT: Nevermind, I see now...

I still maintain you could've just and carried on (and ignored the temptation).