Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
LoCash
Page 9 of 13 First Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  Next Thread Tools
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2005-06-02, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
I logged on Weds. evening and the first thing I saw was the notice on the front page. I couldn't take it in at first.

I hadn't been online at all for many days. Kickaha and Alcimedes both had sent me e-mails, but I came to AN first, as I always do.
Sorry this is very rushed.

Yeah, I figured as much. Just trying to lighten things up by pretending to be aghast at them being such insensitive oafs (surely not!). You should keep in touch with them Carol, drunk or otherwise.

Like the the new title thingy. Very ooh la la. Look after yourself.

I was wondering if maybe his folks should be sent a copy of this thread.

The stuff about his mom is horrible. The cry of a mother who's lost a child is like no other. The few times I've heard it, it's chilled me to the bone. Like it's unearthly or something. Or like the sound waves actually carry some of the mental and physical torture the mother feels with them. So sad.
¡Damned!

2005-06-02, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I don't expect to ever take it down. +++
You know, I don't quite agree with this. God help me, because I'm going to speak my mind. IMO Jack is looking up/down on us and smiling...and probably laughing his ass off.

In my heart of hearts, I feel that Jack would want things to go on as they were. In fact, even knowing him as little as I did personally, I feel like he would have scoffed at any permanent memorial (or at least, so visibly). Seriously. It's just not his style.

Leave the banner up however long you want. It's a fitting tribute to the man we all loved. But no, I disagree with leaving it up forever. Jack would be laughing his ass off at us. He just wouldn't want this. He was more modest than that...and at the same time.......not. You all know what I mean.

I've shed too many tears over this. I'm dry. I'll remember my friend Jack forever.....but now I've got my eye on the future. We. Us. The 'community' as he would say. Let's keep the spirit that we started with.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-02, 23:15

I didn't mean leaving all the banners up; I agree that he wouldn't want AppleNova turned into his personal shrine. I meant leaving a tribute page to accept charity donations in his name up. If people still want to offer and it's going to a good cause, I see no reason to take it down.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2005-06-02, 23:20

Oh, hell no...any good we can do on Jack's behalf...you know I'm in.

Thanks for the clarification though, Brad.
Darwin
SysAdmin

2005-06-03, 00:22

If I ever leave this world alive
I'll thank for all the things you did in my life
I'll come back down and sit beside your
feet tonight
Wherever I am you'll always be
More than just a memory

I'll take on all the sadness
That I left behind
The madness that you feel will soon subside
So in a word don't shed a tear
I'll be here when it all gets weird

So when in doubt just call my name
Just before you go insane
If I ever leave this world
Hey I may never leave this world
But if I ever leave this world alive

She says I'm okay; I'm alright,
Though you have gone from my life
You said that it would,
Now everything should be all right

She says I'm okay; I'm alright,
Though you have gone from my life
You said that it would,
Now everything should be all right
Yeah should be alright
RaSol

2005-06-03, 01:18

Anyone go to the service? How was it?
schalliol

Send a message via AIM to schalliol  
2005-06-03, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSol
Anyone go to the service? How was it?
check back one page
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-06-03, 03:11

+

+

=

LoCash

All men and women are born, live suffer and die; what distinguishes us one from another is our dreams, whether they be dreams about worldly or unworldly things, and what we do to make them come about... We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents. We do not choose our historical epoch, the country of our birth, or the immediate circumstances of our upbringing. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live. - Joseph Epstein

To the choices he made which has left it's eternal mark on all of us he's touched.

And All That Could Have Been
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-06-03, 07:44

Great post.

Drew: thanks for posting re: the service and for going in general. That means something to all of us I'm certain.
WhiskyBob

2005-06-03, 09:49

Sorry to read about Jack - my deepest sympathy to his family and friends.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-03, 10:00

Yeah, Drew, thanks for going as a friend and as the physical presence of applenova. The anguish of a mother crying for her lost son is something I have heard before and it is heartbreaking. My prayers are with his family.

Argento very creative - I'm sure taft would approve.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
SledgeHammer

2005-06-03, 12:44

I stopped checking back here for a couple weeks and came back to find this. I don't know what to say.
Res

2005-06-03, 21:15

Great post Argento.

24 is just too young, I feel so bad for his family.
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2005-06-04, 01:08

This is horrible news. I didn't know him very close but 24 is just too damn young. Only a year younger then I!? Shit. Goodbye LoCash, you will be missed.

/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
ironlung

2005-06-04, 07:17

Rest in peace LoCash...
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-06-04, 09:34

Unfortunately I'm old enough to have gone through a situation like this a few times.
Although I confess this is the first time I've felt this way over someone I never met. The only time I had a personal interaction with him was about cycling. I never realized he was such a kid.
I haven't been coming to Nova for a while because of personal things but for some reason I came by the day this thread started. I was flummoxed, and didn't post anything, just read this thread as it's wound it's way to here.

Jackson Browne's LATE FOR THE SKY album always seem to be therapeutic for me in times like these, but the song FOR A DANCER really hits home......

FOR A DANCER

Keep a fire burning in your eye
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down
I don’t remember losing track of you
You were always dancing in and out of view
I must have thought you’d always be around
Always keeping things real by playing the clown
Now you’re nowhere to be found

I don’t know what happens when people die
Can’t seem to grasp it as hard as I try
It’s like a song I can hear playing right in my ear
That I can’t sing
I can’t help listening
And I can’t help feeling stupid standing ’round
Crying as they ease you down
’cause I know that you’d rather we were dancing
Dancing our sorrow away
(right on dancing)
No matter what fate chooses to play
(there’s nothing you can do about it anyway)

Just do the steps that you’ve been shown
By everyone you’ve ever known
Until the dance becomes your very own
No matter how close to yours
Another’s steps have grown
In the end there is one dance you’ll do alone

Keep a fire for the human race
Let your prayers go drifting into space
You never know what will be coming down
Perhaps a better world is drawing near
And just as easily it could all disappear
Along with whatever meaning you might have found
Don’t let the uncertainty turn you around
(the world keeps turning around and around)
Go on and make a joyful sound

Into a dancer you have grown
From a seed somebody else has thrown
Go on ahead and throw some seeds of your own
And somewhere between the time you arrive
And the time you go
May lie a reason you were alive
But you’ll never know

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Jack3

2005-06-04, 12:33

I want to tell everyone at applenova how much we appreciate all the nice things said about our son, and your friend, Jack. We followed the posts about him all week and it has been a great help in dealing with our lost. Jack had so many great friends both online and around town. He will be greatly missed. I will stay in touch. Thanks again.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-04, 12:49

Mr. Frost,

Thanks for letting us know that you've been around. Your son was a remarkable person and he'll be missed.

-Sammy
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-06-04, 15:51

Dear Mr. Frost:

I would like to offer my deepest sympathy. Jack was a good man; he was one of this community's most valuable citizens, and he has made a positive impact on thousands' lives, more so than any of us comprehend. Jack will never be forgotten here.

Chris

You ask me for a hamburger.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-04, 21:32

Dear Mr Frost,

I would like to offer my deepest sympathy as well. This site came about in no small part thanks to Jack and as you now know, his vision and commitment helped establish an online community that has had an impact on countless members and lurkers here.

His creativity and aesthetic sense were gifts, as too his humor and generous spirit. The way he carried himself during sticky or tense situations should also be an example to all that post here. I really cannot recall a harsh word or angry post on his part. He always had his eye on the bigger picture. We will miss him dearly, but he will not be forgotten.

Thankyou for letting us know that you have been here - I don't know what else to say, except I am sorry for your loss and my prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Anthony.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
mark

Send a message via AIM to mark  
2005-06-05, 09:39

I've really been putting off writing some memories of Jack down, because it kind of hurts. Maybe that sounds ridiculous because I wasn't as close to Jack as some. He still meant a great deal to me.

I've known Jack since I was 14 or 15 from a hotline server named the Pimp Shack. For those of you who do not know, hotline is a p2p type program, where users would connect to a server, and you could chat, post news, and share files. Pimp Shack, hosted by Utterer, was home for a lot of Macintosh gamers who loved Quake and the liking. They posted game demos (ingame Quake recordings), Mac-quake utilities, and the infamous sick folder (what was the actual name..?) That sick folder was just that.. sick.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Anyway "corner" was one of the regular users... I think he started going there because of Utterer.. or it could have been Taft (who also hosted a infamous movie & picture set on that server...perhaps he will explain ). From the get go, I started liking some of the things corner liked... such as his hotline icon . Anyway, I come to find out that corner and Utterer are running a Macintosh site, Mac 3D Dot Com. I quickly ask if I could help at all, and thats where the friendship of me and Jack started.

I'd post daily Macintosh industry/gaming news for Mac 3D Dot Com. However, with Mac3D, I talked with Jack daily on AIM. Over the years, we went to two Macworlds together. We've had countless talks on the phone. I went to him for a lot of advice, with the majority of it involving girls

One time flying back from MWNY, I missed my flight in Atlanta. I called Jack very confused, and he immediately said I could fly standby, and stay the night at his house in Atlanta. This was relieving, and he quickly picked me up and saved the day. He took me to some places he enjoyed in Atlanta, like this improv comedy place, and we had a quick late night meal at Waffle House. He introduced me to his mother, and showed me his bike gear that he was very proud of (He would constantly send me Ebay links to items he was bidding on). I remember being so envious of all of the Apple gear in his room, and now messy it was I remember sleeping on the couch, and us waking up *30 minutes* before my flight. Somehow we tore ass in that truck of his, and made it to my flight in time. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW. Either way, our friendship grew so much.

I'm really going on here, so I'm gonna add some memory that always made me smile and laugh out loud. While in MWNY, I was going through his 2400(? i think) powerbook that he loved--it was very small. Anyway, I'm snooping through his laptop for stuff he's trying to hide (i know.. haha). Among other items, inside I believe the "Apple Extras" (Mac OS 9..) he had the Venga Boys song. "The Venga Boys are coming.." I think thats how it goes. I know Six Flags has been using it as their theme song. I immediately questioned Jack about this, and I could not stop laughing. I have no idea why that is so funny to me, but I just loved how he hid it, and what a ridiculous song that is. Everytime I hear that song, I think about him and smile

This post jumps all over the place, but I just wanted to share that I continually think about memories of Jack, and I loved him so much, and I'll definitely miss him. He was definitely a mentor type figure for me growing up, and I've learned and gained so much by his friendship.

Mark Stultz

If there are typos or anything, I hastily wrote this at 9:15 on this Sunday morning.

:mad: mark
RaSol

2005-06-05, 16:58

I just wanted to take a second and thank everybody here for posting and talking and sharing memories with everyone. This past week has been really rough, and I only really stayed in touch with a few of mutual friends Jack and I had. Its been a comfort to hear all the things people had to say, and I'm glad I could be a part of your forums for this short while.

My life will definitely never be the same without Jack in it, but I've got to remember that it would have never been the same in the first place if I hadn't of met him, and been friends with him. And its seems that is the general sentiment here as well.

Once again, thank you all, thank you to Jack's family for sharing him with all of us, you're in my thoughts. And thank you Jack, wherever you are now...

_derek bongaarts
Darwin
SysAdmin

2005-06-05, 23:12

i saw the flowers, i've read your posts. thank you thank you.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-06-06, 19:58

I've just been going through this thread again... thanks to everyone for sharing their "real life" stories about Jack. They are very much appreciated.

They all just confirm to me what a really great guy Jack was.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-06-06, 23:43

Wow... hell of a way to end my day today. I log onto AN for the first time in a few weeks, and one of my favorite posters has died, and he was only four years older than me... good God, this is a shitty way to end my day... It makes me very sad, but I enjoyed reading everyone's stories about him. Makes me wish I could have met him in person. I think we would have had some good times.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-07, 00:14

I’ve been sitting here for a long time trying to think of what to say. For the last year Jack and I worked closely together on AN, then due to our similar schedules and personalities spent a lot of time talking, either online or over the phone.

I’d hear about his day, his work, his pranks he was pulling at work, and more importantly we’d talk about life. Jack always had a unique outlook on life. Nothing was just taken for granted. Jack lived his life in ways more people only read about. He was fearless, hilarious, crass, caring and daring all in one. I’ve known few people in my life like Jack, but he made me a better person.

As I was reading through some our conversations tonight I was struck with how amazing Jack was. As some of you know he’d recently lost his job and was in the process of looking for another one. Yet we were talking about ways he could give back to the community, and use the work he’d put in at AN to give to other people. Here he is going out on interviews to find work and he’s worried about how he can help others. It can be easy to lose sight of that side of Jack between the wild nights and humor filled days, but Jack really did care about others, which is hard to find in people.

I’m sorry you were taken so young Jack. I miss you.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
shatteringglass

2005-06-07, 02:39

I just found out today.

I haven't been on the boards much lately, and when I would be on, I would just quickly browse through a couple of threads in the rumors forum. But, I sat down today to read all the threads from the last few weeks to catch up. That is, until I stumbled on this. I clicked the header on the forums that was dedicated to Jack, which, at first I assumed was just some obscure reference to something I didn't know about. It never occurred to me that someone, especially LoCash, passed away. I clicked the header, and I just went numb. Everything became irrelevant. My stupid rant on AN about Apple's switch to Intel processors. My opinions of Roz Ho, the manager at the MS Mac BU in some thread. Everything.

I did not know Jack personally, but I always sensed his presence here, as trite as that may sound. He was one of those regulars, like pscates, or brad, whose opinions I have come to value highly since I became a member. I always felt that the boards here were special because it was him and all the other warm people that took time out to respond to whatever I had to say, no matter how insignificant or irrelevant.

It's these tragic events in our lives that make me think about how random and short life can be. It's forcing me to think now whether I'm living life to the fullest, whether I should enjoy life more instead of dwelling over my past failures, and whether I can be a better person to those around me.

I want to thank everyone who knew Jack personally and shared an anecdote or story about him. I feel like I know him a little better now, have seen the amazing person he was, and regret not having the pleasure of conversing with him on the boards or over IM.

I'm not sure what else I have to say. I feel awful for all that has happened. I also feel awful for being so irrevelant to all this until now. Everything seems to be in perspective suddenly.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-19, 02:42

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry to dig this thread back up since many of us are finally getting over Jack's passing, but I thought this would be worth sharing with everyone. I've been cleaning out some files on my hard drives and I found some writings that Jack sent me some time ago. I believe he said he wrote these years ago when he was in high school.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Jack Frost - Passageway of Forever.pdf (13.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: pdf Jack Frost - Skies of Forever.pdf (9.4 KB, 23 views)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-06-19, 08:38

The last one comes up as blank for me.
schalliol

Send a message via AIM to schalliol  
2005-06-19, 10:54

Can we get a report on how much was raised for Jack here and what has been done with it? It seems fair to know this for those who donated. If it's still up in the air what to do with it, let's have a poll.

Jack, rest in peace. I know you sold your HDTV, and I'm sure you're using a 200 incher right now!