User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

What's the fastest way to clone a drive?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: What's the fastest method?
Disk Utility 0 0%
SuperDuper 4 33.33%
Finder copy 0 0%
Command line (cp, rsync, or other) 1 8.33%
Carbon Copy Cloner 7 58.33%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

What's the fastest way to clone a drive?
colivigan
Veteran Member

2009-01-23, 19:51

I have a PM G5 that currently has an 80GB startup drive and a 300GB Seagate SATA internal expansion drive. I just bought a 1TB WD Caviar SATA internal to upgrade my storage. What I would like to do is make the 300GB drive my startup disk, and move all the data that is currently on it to the new 1 TB drive.

I have an external FW drive, and I am right now cloning my startup disk to it using SuperDuper. It's taking kind of a long time. My plan is to then swap the internal drives, boot from the external, copy the 300GB data to the 1 TB drive, and clone the external boot partition back to the 300 GB drive.

So what's the fastest way to copy 200+ GB of data from one disk to another? Data only, it doesn't have to be a startup disk. I don't really want to be up all night doing this.

I am home alone for the weekend, so all options obviously include plenty of beer.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-01-23, 19:56

I added CCC and modified your command line option to be a bit broader.

That said, I haven't used all of the above and I've only once or twice ever copied a whole drive, but I'd guess using the Finder is probably the slowest of all options.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2009-01-23, 20:04

Thanks Brad, I momentarily forgot about CCC. And I'm sure Finder copy is the slowest option.

I guess ditto might be another command-line method.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-01-23, 20:11

You can't really use a Finder copy to properly clone a startup drive - that's why utilities like CCC and SuperDuper exist.

I'm a SuperDuper fan, myself - I've used it onsite twice this week alone, and I use its Smart Update function in addition to Time Machine so that I have redundant and multi-format backups as well as an emergency startup drive.

As far as data-only speed goes.... if you're command-line comfortable, I'd use one of those, in single-user mode. Otherwise, I'd probably just use the Finder.
¡Damned!

2009-01-23, 20:23

I'm a fan of CCC, fwiw. I'd say it's 6 of one, half-dozen of the other between SuperDuper and CCC, but I like CCC a bit better. Neither of them are going to be particularly speedy, especially since this is the initial backup.

And I just now got why it's called SuperDuper! D'oh!

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-01-23, 21:12

I just used SuperDuper! to upgrade my two MBs and Intel Mini's HDD. MBs are at 500GB now and the Mini is at 320GB. The longest part is the USB transfer limitations. I should have a FW enclosure for this type of work.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2009-01-23, 21:16

I'm using a FW400 enclosure, and it's none too fast. Copying 60GB of data from my internal to the FW drive is going on two hours now. Almost done, though.

I'm hoping the internal disk-to-disk copying goes a LOT faster.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-01-23, 21:50

Just to mention that I used CCC to make a clone of my drive before I upgrade it. I didn't test it much (my bad) before moving back the data. It was booting, everything was there so I changed the hard drive. But when I booted from the clone, no application would launch... I mean none. Safari, Terminal, Disk Utility, photoshop, etc.

In the end, it was caused by a corrupted preference file of "plugsuit". Don't know if CCC caused this but in one way, it was working before and after it wasn't. http://discussions.apple.com/thread....07109&tstart=0

So I would say SuperDuper FTW (I never used it). Just sayin...

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
colivigan
Veteran Member

2009-01-23, 22:33

So far so good. Startup drive to external took about two hours for 60GB. Booted off external, all looks OK. Now I'm copying old data drive (internal) to new big drive (internal) using SuperDuper - it's done 88GB in 40 minutes, about 1/3 done.

I'll probably make another backup of the original data drive to the external, before I clone the startup disk back onto it. Just in case the new one croaks. Most stuff is already backed up elsewhere, but you can't have too many backups.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-01-24, 06:17

Cloned my 500GB TM external to a new 1TB drive using Disk Utililty Restore.

Takes longer that a pure copy operation, but does include a verify run, and being a clone via DU, gets some files that might otherwise cause freakout over permissions or owner flag (Apple Support forums advised the SuperDuper and CCC sometimes didn't like cloning TM).

If it's your only critical backup, don't sweat the time. Were you planning to use the overnight hours while you sleep and the machine clones itself for something else?

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-03-18, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
You can't really use a Finder copy to properly clone a startup drive - that's why utilities like CCC and SuperDuper exist.

I'm a SuperDuper fan, myself - I've used it onsite twice this week alone, and I use its Smart Update function in addition to Time Machine so that I have redundant and multi-format backups as well as an emergency startup drive.

As far as data-only speed goes.... if you're command-line comfortable, I'd use one of those, in single-user mode. Otherwise, I'd probably just use the Finder.
I now have SuperDuper, and I now have an external drive. I want to keep an up-to-date, bootable clone of my iMac for disaster recovery.

Do I just select the "Backup All Files" option and turn on "Smart Update" to accomplish this? I don't need to use Sandbox to meet my needs - correct?

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-04-02, 14:46

I feel like a noob and tend to be slightly bullheaded when reading other peoples threads because I need some sort of personalized verification to make my OCD feel ok.

I have an extra 2.5" 230 or so gb hdd and my old Macbook that I'm using as a desktop has a 160gb.

Can I use SuperDuper! to copy my MB hdd to the new drive then swap the new one in? Will it be like nothing ever happened except for now I have more room?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-04-02, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I feel like a noob and tend to be slightly bullheaded when reading other peoples threads because I need some sort of personalized verification to make my OCD feel ok.

I have an extra 2.5" 230 or so gb hdd and my old Macbook that I'm using as a desktop has a 160gb.

Can I use SuperDuper! to copy my MB hdd to the new drive then swap the new one in? Will it be like nothing ever happened except for now I have more room?
Anyone? *crickets*
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-02, 22:08

Yes you can. Upsizing made easy with SuperDuper!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-04-02, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Yes you can. Upsizing made easy with SuperDuper!
Awesome! Thanks a lot.

I just wanted to make sure because I formatted the drive today and now am doing a full backup with SuperDuper!. Hopefully tomorrow I have enough time to swap them out and start installing and updating some stuff I need since I don't have the room.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey