Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Another Safari / STP Issue

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Another Safari / STP Issue
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2020-08-18, 19:55

Can't open preferences, just get a beachball. Started with opening preferences and clicking the privacy tab. Now beachball whenever I open preferences. Losing my shit with this - "just works" my ass. Seriously at the end of my rope with Safari, and Apple software in general...

User formally known as Sh0eWax
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-08-19, 03:08

It happens in both Safari and STP?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-19, 09:16

I use Safari daily with many tabs opened all the time and haven't had that issue. What site is giving you the problem? I mean, if we can replicate it or something it would help figure out what is going on. Also, what version of Safari and macOS?

I do run a Pi-Hole ad blocker on my network and I know that saves me tons of processing power with the tabs I do leave open.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-19, 11:31

1) Download and run Malwarebytes. I think we've been down this road before, but you would be surprised what the crap world of malware can accomplish.

2) Find Library/LaunchAgents and Library/LaunchDaemons and nuke absolutely everything in those folders. Remember that there are two Library folders, one in your user directory and one in Root. Restart after everything is trashed.

3) You might also try downloading the latest Safari build.

4) Make sure software updates are up-to-date.

Just some ideas.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2020-08-29, 09:57

Yeah. It was happening in both STP and Safari. It was willlldddd.

It resolved itself after the next system update. I also noticed that there was an STP update queued up after the OS update (which was conveniently hung up in the “preparing update” phase after downloading) - so I wonder if that had something to do with it.

I will run Malware Bytes today.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-08-29, 13:42

What is STP???
Should I get it?
HOW COME???

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2020-08-29, 19:55

Safari Tech Preview. I honestly can’t remember why I downloaded it. I think it had some feature I wanted to use, that has long since been added to regular Safari but I’m still in the habit of using the purple icon.

I don’t know if any reasons not to use it.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-08-31, 03:56

Not really. It's basically Safari, but in perpetual next version's beta.

I haven't found it to be less stable than the regular version. (I haven't found the regular version to always be particularly reliable, alas.)