User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Sky Captain video game?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sky Captain video game?
SledgeHammer

2005-06-20, 22:22

I know Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is old news, but I just saw it for the first time. My take: eh. Not unwatchable, not great (by any means), but what I couldn't get out of my head the entire time, was, "this would make a better video game than a movie." It kind of reminded me of Crimson Skies, that game that comes free with an XBox Live subscription kit (the whole alternate past/flying through cities thing). The thing is, outside of some free online sim/contest to win a trip to the premier, I can find no evidence that a tie-in game exists. What's the deal? I guess I'm just surprised that there's no video game of a movie that looks like a video game anyway. The whole thing was put together in a computer anyway; couldn't you basically take the models that were used for the film and work 'em into a game? I don't really know anything about 3d modeling or computer game design, but it seems like it would be possible.
MacIntel

2005-06-20, 22:53

They're waiting to switch to NURBS based modeling for Angelina Jolie's lips instead of using a bazillion polygons.

Just a guess...

But yeah, it'd make a swell game.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-21, 00:06

Maybe if the movie was successful they'd put out the game.

I'll bet that they had a game in development just in case the flick took off, too.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-21, 00:18

Meh, I loved it. Then again, I love the old pulpy serials that it was themed after, so on that level, it was highly successful, down to the wooden acting on the part of the heroine. :P

But man, the *design* of it was sheer geek pleasure for me.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-21, 10:19

I know what you mean, as I thought Hitchhiker's Guide was "successful" in the same way -- but it bombed at the post office, and bombed hard. In monetary terms, neither HHGTTG nor Sky Captain were very successful, and neither one could guarantee good video game sales outside of their fan base.

If it went the other way around -- if Sky Captain started out as a great video game and later launched onto the big screen -- things would be different.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-21, 10:30

I was in total heaven watching this movie (the visuals, FX and campy retro sci-fi look had me from the get-go) and I was always surprised it didn't spawn a game.

I know it didn't do super well, but can't games sometimes stand on their own, done well? Surely there have been some shitty movies that have spawned a few popular games? Or maybe not...I don't keep up with that stuff.

But flying one of those old 40's fighter planes, battling those robots, shooting that cool ray gun, pushing Gwyneth out of the way so I can grab Angelina's butt, etc. would be quite a hoot!

Might've actually been my first video game purchase.
autodata
hustlin

2005-06-21, 11:01

I totally wanted a game for this film and got a bit of a fix from crimson skies, although that game was too short