AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Office 2004

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Office 2004
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Sarek

Send a message via MSN to Sarek  
2005-09-26, 05:00

I am a Windows user. Sorry. I am gonna order my first Mac this week, a Mini and am really excited. I will also get Virtual PC and Office 2004 and need a bit of help.

With Microsoft products for Windows, I needed internet access to validate / activate installations and issues arose as I did not have the router configured correctly etc., my questions are;

When installing VPC and Windows XP within, do I need to go through the Windows activation procedure for either piece of software?
When installing Office and entering the CD key, I understand you then get the PID, is there a point that either needs internet validation?

If yes to either, then I need to get ready in advance with router settings etc as the thought of phoning Microsoft does not fill my heart with happy thoughts.

Any help to this nearly Apple user would be appreciated.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-09-26, 05:15

Office 2004 doesn't require activation.

As for Windows in XP, as packaged in VPC… I'm not sure.
Sarek

2005-09-26, 05:43

Thanks. I am now confused. Maybe piracy is not as much of a problem in the Apple world, but how does that stop you installing a single copy on multiple macs?
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-09-26, 05:44

Hi Sarek and welcome to Applenova.

When I installed VPC with XP I am fairly sure it did NOT need to phone home to the Redmond mothership to complete activation. As staph says, Office 2004 too requires the product key, rather than online registration.

I would strongly recommend that you do not use VPC unless you absolutely need to - it will be slow and memory intensive on your Mini and there are better solutions available. If you are using it for Office 2004, you would be better advised to get the Mac version which is fully compatible.

You may also want to look at Pages and Keynote - these are the Apple equivalents of the Word and Powerpoint. They are better written and much easier to use and documents can be exported as Word and Powerpoint documents repsectively.

edit re multiple installations: it doesn't. Do bear in mind that we take a very dim view of piracy here.

Last edited by Franz Josef : 2005-09-26 at 05:46.
Sarek

2005-09-26, 05:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
Hi Sarek and welcome to Applenova.

When I installed VPC with XP I am fairly sure it did NOT need to phone home to the Redmond mothership to complete activation. As staph says, Office 2004 too requires the product key, rather than online registration.

I would strongly recommend that you do not use VPC unless you absolutely need to - it will be slow and memory intensive on your Mini and there are better solutions available. If you are using it for Office 2004, you would be better advised to get the Mac version which is fully compatible.

You may also want to look at Pages and Keynote - these are the Apple equivalents of the Word and Powerpoint. They are better written and much easier to use and documents can be exported as Word and Powerpoint documents repsectively.
Hi, this is a great forum. As i said before, I can't wait to be an Apple user.. I was thinking of VPC with XP for a couple of applications that are Windows only, such as MS Money and DVD Profiler. What other solutions are available for running Windows apps in OSX? My other option is to VNC into the Windows box and do it that way. With regards to Office, I will go for 2004 for Mac.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-09-26, 06:03

I wouldn't recommend simply trying to replicate the Windows world on a Mac - much better to use natively designed Mac apps to achieve your required goal.

For DVD profiler may you wish to look at Delicious Library - http://www.delicious-monster.com/ - it's an exceptional piece of software. I don't use MS Money so I'll let other suggest what's best on a Mac to achieve the same ends.

If you don't know them already - www.macupdate.com and www.versiontracker.com - are useful resources for finding appropriate software and do feel free to ask here what people use.
staph
Microbial member

2005-09-26, 07:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarek
Thanks. I am now confused. Maybe piracy is not as much of a problem in the Apple world, but how does that stop you installing a single copy on multiple macs?
Bingo. There is a reasonable culture of honesty amongst Mac users though, because the rational ones realise that if they don't pay for software, the vendors might actually stop producing software for the platform.

If you're ready for another flipout, Mac OS X doesn't even have a serial, let alone activation.

Very few Mac applications require activation. The only ones I can think of are Adobe Creative Suite 2.
Sarek

2005-09-26, 10:27

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend simply trying to replicate the Windows world on a Mac - much better to use natively designed Mac apps to achieve your required goal.

For DVD profiler may you wish to look at Delicious Library - http://www.delicious-monster.com/ - it's an exceptional piece of software. I don't use MS Money so I'll let other suggest what's best on a Mac to achieve the same ends.

If you don't know them already - www.macupdate.com and www.versiontracker.com - are useful resources for finding appropriate software and do feel free to ask here what people use.
I tend to agree and will certainly not try and replicate my Windows box in a Mac. Thanks for the Delicious Library link. Looks good enough for me.
Sarek

2005-09-26, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
Bingo. There is a reasonable culture of honesty amongst Mac users though, because the rational ones realise that if they don't pay for software, the vendors might actually stop producing software for the platform.

If you're ready for another flipout, Mac OS X doesn't even have a serial, let alone activation.

Very few Mac applications require activation. The only ones I can think of are Adobe Creative Suite 2.
Amazing. I look forward to being an honest user of an honest OS. I have already seen that developers don't feel that the Mac community is big enough to warrant development. Seems such a shame.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-26, 11:15

By the way, nice screen name.

Sarek

2005-09-26, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
By the way, nice screen name.

A logical response
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-09-26, 14:49

Quote:
This Delicious Library looks really cool. I didn't know there was anything like this out there!!

I'm looking for a MS Money for Mac is anyone knows anything of it too. I don't like Quicken and I know that is one that comes with the Mac.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Sarek

2005-09-26, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
This Delicious Library looks really cool. I didn't know there was anything like this out there!!

I'm looking for a MS Money for Mac is anyone knows anything of it too. I don't like Quicken and I know that is one that comes with the Mac.
Turtle, I would be happy with Quicken, but they have pulled out of the UK for Macs and even though Apple have confirmed this, they seem unable to update the UK site to show that you DO NOT get this item of software with the UK Mini.
*Joe*

Send a message via AIM to *Joe* Send a message via MSN to *Joe*  
2005-09-26, 16:53

One method I have found microsoft to use to circumvent licence breaching on macs which they never adopted on PCs rather scared me.

Me and my mother both have office 2004 installed, but rarely use our computers at the same time, the other day I got a message when opening MS Word which said "this copy of microsoft office is currently in use on another computer. Your licence only allows one copy to run at a time"
staph
Microbial member

2005-09-26, 19:59

*Joe*, that's a technique Mac developers have been using since the dawn of time — off the top of my head, OmniGroup and Adobe have also used it before.

If it really worries you, you should think about installing an enhanced firewall on one or both computers, like Little Snitch.
SledgeHammer

2005-09-26, 20:40

I love Delicious Library. I have a lot of books and movies and my collections will only grow. I don't really use it that much at present, but scanning all of my stuff in with my iSight was just so damn fun.
Sarek

2005-09-27, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer
I love Delicious Library. I have a lot of books and movies and my collections will only grow. I don't really use it that much at present, but scanning all of my stuff in with my iSight was just so damn fun.
Sledge, do you know if Delicious Library will import my DVD Profiler database? If the software came with a user manual in pdf, can you mail it to me. Thx.

The needs of the many......
Sarek

2005-09-27, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph

I am lost. Having spend years in the Windows World and everything recently needing activation, is an Office product really that easy to pirate? Just so I am clear in my mind;
1. You install Office 2004 using the CD Key and that gives you a PID
2. Open an Office application and enter the PID - Bingo - all working

Is the PID generated from the CD Key? What is stopping you from installing the same disc / licence on multiple machines if there is no phone home to Redmond.

People warned me about Apple, it really is a different world.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-09-27, 08:54

Quote:
What is stopping you from installing the same disc / licence on multiple machines if there is no phone home to Redmond?
Your conscience? Your worry about breaking the law?

Pirating software is illegal. But technological means of preventing that is very, very tedious. On macs, we're lucky enough not to have to jump through so many hoops.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-27, 08:56

Quote:
What is stopping you from installing the same disc / licence on multiple machines if there is no phone home to Redmond
Not much.

On that note, I must say that I own more legitimately licensed software now for my Mac than I ever did for my PCs. And it's not because of anti-piracy schemes. Using well-written, non-invasive programs makes me feel warm inside.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-27, 09:00

Quote:
1. You install Office 2004 using the CD Key and that gives you a PID
2. Open an Office application and enter the PID - Bingo - all working
Actually, it's just step one. Once you've entered the CD key, you don't have to do anything else.

Quote:
What is stopping you from installing the same disc / licence on multiple machines if there is no phone home to Redmond.
As the other guys said, Mac developers are generally more trusting of their users. Maybe since we're in a minority, a greater proportion of users actually pay for their software because otherwise development would dry up and the Mac platform would disappear.

Or maybe it's because Mac users are just better human beings in general.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SledgeHammer

2005-09-27, 09:03

Well, I can't find any information that specifically mentions DVD Profiler, but the following is from the Delicious FAQ
Quote:
Q: I already use another product like this, but yours looks so much cooler. Can I import my stuff from my old program into Delicious Library?

A: You sure can! When you first start up Delicious Library, it will scan your hard drive for other Library-like databases and give you the option to import any databases that are found. If you have already started importing stuff into Delicious Library, don't worry about it! Any time you want to, you can go to the File > Import > From Other Applications… menu to do the same thing. If you are upgrading to Delicious Library from another application, be sure to put in your serial number from the old application when buying the program. We will happily knock off a couple bucks to help pay for any therapy you might need from having to use the other guy's application.
And from Delicious Library Help:
Quote:
If you have information from another program, you can easily import it into Delicious Library.
To import from other supported applications:
From the File menu, choose Import > From Other Applications…
Select your application.

If you already have items in a tab-delimited file (or you can export to a tab-delimited file from another application) you can import your items into Delicious Library.
To import from a tab-delimited file:
From the File menu, choose Import > From File…
Select your file.

Last edited by SledgeHammer : 2005-09-27 at 09:05.
Sarek

2005-09-27, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
Your conscience? Your worry about breaking the law?

Pirating software is illegal. But technological means of preventing that is very, very tedious. On macs, we're lucky enough not to have to jump through so many hoops.
You may laugh, but I have been caught out in the past buying what I thought was legitimate software on eBay, to find copied software arriving through my letterbox. My interest is mainly to see what hoops need to jumped through to validate software on a Mac.

Sarek

2005-09-27, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer
Well, I can't find any information that specifically mentions DVD Profiler, but the following is from the Delicious FAQ
And from Delicious Library Help:
Thanks Sledge, that helps.

I must say that this forum is one of the most helpful and friendly I have ever used.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-09-27, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Joe*
One method I have found microsoft to use to circumvent licence breaching on macs which they never adopted on PCs rather scared me.
Heh, yeah, I received a panicked phone call from my Mom and brother one time, they did the same thing on their LAN.

The software looks to see if any other copy is running on any reachable machine on your local LAN. It doesn't call Redmond or anything like that.

It's actually rather a clever way of handling it, since it lets you install it on as many machines as you have, but you can only *use* it on one machine at a time. They enforce their license, you get convenience. Nice compromise, IMO.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-09-27, 11:18

Quote:
Sledge, do you know if Delicious Library will import my DVD Profiler database? If the software came with a user manual in pdf, can you mail it to me. Thx.
Just drop a mail to Drew Hamlin at delicious@delicious-monster.com - they're helpful guys and will come back to you in an hour or two with a definitive answer.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-09-27, 19:17

Quote:

[...]

Or maybe it's because Mac users are just better human beings in general.
Speak for yourself....
Actually, I think that these forums prove your point.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-27, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
Quote:
Mac users are just better human beings in general.
Speak for yourself....
I was! Who else do you think I could be referring to? You?
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-09-27, 22:01

Quote:
I was! Who else do you think I could be referring to? You?
I thought you meant g. A [scooter-riding] prince among [old] men. :smokey:
jimbo123

2005-09-28, 01:16

Quote:
I am a Windows user. Sorry. I am gonna order my first Mac this week, a Mini and am really excited. I will also get Virtual PC and Office 2004 and need a bit of help.

With Microsoft products for Windows, I needed internet access to validate / activate installations and issues arose as I did not have the router configured correctly etc., my questions are;

When installing VPC and Windows XP within, do I need to go through the Windows activation procedure for either piece of software?
When installing Office and entering the CD key, I understand you then get the PID, is there a point that either needs internet validation?

If yes to either, then I need to get ready in advance with router settings etc as the thought of phoning Microsoft does not fill my heart with happy thoughts.

Any help to this nearly Apple user would be appreciated.
Do not get VPC... I was a long time windows user then jumped shiped. VPC is so slow. I have found however that Mac Office 2004 is superb and I prefer this to anything Apple has to offer ie Pages etc. Apple might have the OS but can't touch Office for your everyday work.