Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Am I the only one who really dislikes the new cmd+f in Safari 3.0

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Am I the only one who really dislikes the new cmd+f in Safari 3.0
Wrao
Yarp

2007-07-20, 18:48

The old one may not have given you the ability to update your query as you searched the page, but the old one was far less intrusive and it didn't alter the window view with a text input bar. Additionally, there is no hotkey to leave the cmd-f view and you have to click on the 'done' button to get rid of it(at least as far as I can tell).

I do appreciate the greater degree of contrast/highlight that has been added, but it feels like the rest of it is overkill and distracting.

Is there a way to change it? or otherwise a hotkey to quickly leave the 'find' menu?
rasmits
rams it

2007-07-20, 18:54

I like it a lot - I think it's infinitely more useful. With the old implementation I could hardly tell where the highlighted word was most of the time.

As for a hotkey to leave the 'find' menu, hit esc.

You had me at asl
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-07-20, 19:04

While I have to say I do like how the text is highlighted more clearly than other implementation; Firefox does highlight, but when it's a wall of text, it can be quite hard to find the green highlight, I can't help but feel a bit annoyed when everything else is darkened.

Yes, I can use esc key and have done so, but it's not the usability; it's the visual appeal that bothers me. I'm not sure why, though.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-07-20, 19:20

I *much* prefer the look and feel of command-g by itself. It's not as obtrusive but is still just as noticeable. Often I find myself command-f-ing to start a search, escaping out of it, and then using command-g to go through the page.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-07-20, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
I *much* prefer the look and feel of command-g by itself. It's not as obtrusive but is still just as noticeable. Often I find myself command-f-ing to start a search, escaping out of it, and then using command-g to go through the page.
Good call. I agree, I still think the whole search field thing is a bit of a distraction and it slows what should be a very quick and streamlined process down.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2007-07-20, 21:43

I'll come right out and say it. I love it. I use Camino, but I think it's a treat using Safari with this. I don't think it makes things too dark, helps to find other occurrences, and immediately lets you know where you should be looking.

Edit: I can see how it should be an option though whether it throws up a the grey or not.
Jasoco

2007-07-21, 02:00

I love it. I've wanted it like this since I tried out FireFox.

All they need now is FireFox's "Start finding when you start typing" option where as soon as you start typing in the page (While not in a text field) it'll begin looking for the text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
or otherwise a hotkey to quickly leave the 'find' menu?
Escape key.

Last edited by Jasoco : 2007-07-21 at 02:11.
rasmits
rams it

2007-07-21, 04:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
All they need now is FireFox's "Start finding when you start typing" option where as soon as you start typing in the page (While not in a text field) it'll begin looking for the text.
It does do that, though.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-07-21, 04:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
It does do that, though.
Nope.
rasmits
rams it

2007-07-21, 04:32

Oh I get it now, I read his post wrong.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-07-21, 12:20

Hey, that's neat. I just accidentally hit Cmd+esc. I had no idea.
rezwits

Send a message via ICQ to rezwits Send a message via AIM to rezwits Send a message via MSN to rezwits Send a message via Yahoo to rezwits Send a message via Skype™ to rezwits 
2007-07-30, 19:19

No I hate it too... 90% hate 10% like
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-30, 21:00

I thought I was going to hate it at first, but it quickly grew on me. I don't love it, but I certainly don't hate or dislike it. I'm not a big fan of the orange, though.

I think the fact that it highlights all instances at once is the biggest perk.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-30, 21:04

I like the new search. I think it makes it easier to see on the page what you are looking for.
chris e boy

2007-07-31, 09:30

love it. i've always had problems finding the search term before.
Jerman

2007-07-31, 15:42

I like it too! I have had issues with finding text, especially short items, as it was so hard to see the highlight. This makes it much easier for me. I am still confused about whether you can use a hot key or not to exit the search, but I still think it is a good upgrade.
chris e boy

2007-08-01, 07:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerman View Post
I am still confused about whether you can use a hot key or not to exit the search
Try the Escape key
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-08-01, 08:33

The confusion probably stems from the fact that escape doesn't always work. You must have the search field focused by the keyboard first. (If you click out of it during the find mode, find mode is still active but the search field is not). The only reliable way to always do that is to hit command-f and then escape immediately after.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-08-01, 11:18

I think its alright. I have found little if any use for it, though so I'm not concerned about it one bit even it if isn't the best possible implication.