Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone Hacking: Ringtones

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone Hacking: Ringtones
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-07-30, 18:07

I was looking at this article on TUAW about how to put custom ringtones on the iPhone and it seems rather simple but I am not very comfortable with Terminal. Also it seems to assume that you have already started hacking and know how to get iPhoneinterface working.

Has anyone performed this hack or any others on the iPhone? If so could someone provide some help and guidance for installing custom ringtones on the iPhone to someone who is not very savvy when it comes to command line? Also, will enabling any of this void my warranty if something bad happens to my phone and I need it repaired or replaced?

Also, any other suggestions for hacks or things to do with the iPhone that involve a little tweaking are welcome!
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-07-30, 18:33

I'm with you, macleod. I'm not really comfortable with Terminal. Thus, I don't see myself EVER hacking the iPhone if it comes down to something like that. Putting my own ringtones on my phone are not worth it to me, I guess..

I have heard, however, if you mess up the process, you can restore the iPhone through iTunes.

iFuntastic is another solution for putting ringtones on your iPhone. <-- only works for Intel Macs

Deal with it.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-07-30, 18:41

Yeah normally I wouldn't hack it but I am really being prodded by my roommate to hack it and as a first gen adopter I feel somewhat obligated to oblige.

I personally don't like custom ringtones that much but think of it as a novelty thing to play around with never actually using one in a public setting. I also hoped that this would let me get a little closer to being comfortable with Terminal and maybe some more useful iPhone hack even though I am not aware of any thus far (suggestions welcome ).
sirnick4
I was knighted

2007-07-30, 19:14

Okay, for the hell of it, I tried out iFuntatstic. It worked. I have custom ringtones and I was even able to rearrange the icons on the home screen. I even replaced "AT&T" with "iPhone" at the top left.

I'll post a picture as soon as I can host it.

The program was very easy to use.

Deal with it.

Last edited by sirnick4 : 2007-07-30 at 19:29.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-07-30, 19:18

With iFuntatstic can you still sync with iTunes? I heard that it removes that ability somehow.
sirnick4
I was knighted

2007-07-30, 19:40

Yeah, you can still sync it with iTunes. Maybe an earlier version didn't allow you to. But yeah, you can.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-07-30, 19:49

I always loved custom ringtones, makes ignoring people so much more convenient. Music you like and don't even have to pull out your phone to see who it might be.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.