AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

PSN Outage

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PSN Outage
Page 2 of 4 Previous 1 [2] 3 4  Next Thread Tools
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-04-27, 08:36

The amount of user data stolen in this breach is crazy. Every account, and every bit of information associated with that account, including the security questions/answers (which are very similar across many banking sites).

Was Sony just arrogant, stupid, or both???
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2011-04-27, 12:07

PSN users begin reporting fraudulent charges. Go change your card numbers if you haven't already. I'll be changing mine ASAP.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-27, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
PSN users begin reporting fraudulent charges. Go change your card numbers if you haven't already. I'll be changing mine ASAP.
Holy shit. What the hell, Sony.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-04-27, 12:20

Quote:
Wow, this is turning into a huge clusterfuck. I hope everyone can get new cards and don't fall victim to any fraud.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-04-27, 12:31

Quote:
I bought a Ratchet & Clank game on PSN a few months ago, but have no idea which card I used to buy it.

Sounds like I'll find out soon enough though.

On the plus side, my PSN account has my old address. Hopefully that'll save me from bad stuff happening.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-04-27, 12:39

I've never bought anything through the PSN, so I should be good.

I'll have to check and make sure that my CC isn't in there when I get home.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-27, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I'll have to check and make sure that my CC isn't in there when I get home.
If the service is down, can you even check?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-04-27, 12:52

That's what I'm concerned about.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2011-04-27, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
If the service is down, can you even check?
No, you can't. And that's a big part of the problem. To figure out which card you used, you have two options:

1) Wait until someone steals from you.
2) Go through every card statement during a period in which you may have bought something and figure out which one you used.

If you gave them a card number but haven't used it yet, there's no way to know which card they have on file. So you're stuck with option #1.

I know which card I use on PSN, so I just need to change that one.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-27, 13:27

Quote:
A total of $300 was taken from my debit card on Saturday. However, my bank called me to notify me of a suspicious transaction and they confirmed it was indeed a fraudulent withdrawal. I’ve had to cancel my card and order a new one which the bank will transfer my previous account’s money into. The thing isI worry that many users who linked their bank accounts with their PSN account are in serious danger; I hope they all call their banks to immediately take action and prevent any fraudulent withdrawals.
How do you use a debit card on the PSN ? And how do you link your bank account to your PSN account ?

But if true for credit card... Sucks.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-04-27, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
How do you use a debit card on the PSN ? And how do you link your bank account to your PSN account ?

But if true for credit card... Sucks.
I have a debit card with a VISA logo. Works just like a credit card, except I'm limited to funds in my checking account.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-27, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
I have a debit card with a VISA logo. Works just like a credit card, except I'm limited to funds in my checking account.
Oh I see... Not something I would like to use.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-04-27, 13:40

It's annoying, and inconsiderate, that Sony took their sweet time in releasing a public statement on this clusterfuck. Luckily, the debit card I used for PSN purchases has been expired for almost a year now.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-04-27, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Same here. I think I might be lucky enough to have had my card reissued since the last time I tried to use it on PSN (tried being the operative word; it doesn't seem to like me very much, I've noticed, given how much trouble I've had adding funds to my account every time I used the service).

I haven't so much as turned on my PS3 since...probably before the school year started back in August, or shortly after. Even so, I'm keeping an eye on accounts (what little I've got in them, anyway).
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2011-04-27, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
It's annoying, and inconsiderate, that Sony took their sweet time in releasing a public statement on this clusterfuck. Luckily, the debit card I used for PSN purchases has been expired for almost a year now.
It's quite possible that your new one (if you have one) has the same card number, with a different expiration date. That part's pretty easy to guess.

Also: If you use the same password for PSN as you do other services, go change those passwords now. Based on the way I'm reading this, these fuck-ups are storing passwords in plain text, which means the attackers have your password now too.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-27, 13:57

I simply cannot believe that Sony, one of the worlds largest electronics manufacturers, is storing passwords in plain text. I wonder how many other large tech companies that I'm supposed to trust are doing the same?

I trust Amazon, Apple, Google and MS to hash my passwords (and based on their password recovery processes, I am led to believe they do) but now I'm not so sure about basically everyone else. If you'd asked me last week I would have guess that Sony was big and smart enough to get this, but I would have been wrong

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2011-04-27, 14:08

Actually, I misread it earlier. It's worse than passwords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excerpt from Sony statement
It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained.
If your bank uses the same security questions (which wouldn't be surprising), the data they obtained is enough information to steal your identity.

This makes me fucking sick.

Anybody want to buy my PS3?

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-04-27, 14:19

Yea, hopefully you didn't use the "What is your mother's maiden name?" one.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-27, 14:23

Good lord, did interns design their password security? Or are they just that incompetent?

Looks like I'm never buying a Playstation again
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-04-27, 14:41

Quote:
It's quite possible that your new one (if you have one) has the same card number, with a different expiration date. That part's pretty easy to guess.
It's definitely not the same. About 2 months ago, the new card that I received last summer was compromised (someone bought $80 worth of Xbox Live shit). ING sent out a new card, and it has a completely different number.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-27, 14:53

I actually had to change my PSN account password and email changed. I set up my PSN account to use my Gmail account and didn't realize until this compromise that I had in fact used the same password on my Gmail account as I had my PSN account where my username was my Gmail account email address!

I can just imagine the other number of users who have done that. Since really focusing on network security as a career I has been going through my old accounts and fixing the error of my ways. Shame I missed that one though! I've fixed most of the other.

I hope those reading this think to change theirs if they are in the same boat as I was.

Oh, and this is also why iTunes, PSN and Wii (whatever they call it) only get gift cards but no credit card registered with them. They can't compromise my card if they don't have it. I "trust" Amazon because it's their business, these other companies it's just additional revenue.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Foj
Veteran Member

2011-04-27, 15:02

It's a good thing for me that I've only used PSN gift cards to buy stuff through my PS3.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2011-04-27, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj View Post
It's a good thing for me that I've only used PSN gift cards to buy stuff through my PS3.
If I keep mine, I'm going gift card from now on too.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2011-04-27, 15:12

I make all my iTunes and (most of) Amazon purchases through gift cards, because I absolutely can't stand having my card info saved anywhere online. This is reinforcing my feeling on that.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-04-27, 15:15

I checked my online American Express activity and luckily no usage so far. I use it mainly for things like iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, ect, because AMX and Discovery both have great customer service with stuff like this.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
I make all my iTunes and (most of) Amazon purchases through gift cards, because I absolutely can't stand having my card info saved anywhere online. This is reinforcing my feeling on that.
Well, I don't think this needs to be a time to withhold your card from everyone because this company got hacked. I'm sure cardholder data wasn't a priority to them. A company like Amazon, PayPal, or NewEgg would be sure their card security is a step above since it is their livelihood. Yeah, PSN, iTunes etc. all get gift cards from me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

Quote:
If I keep mine, I'm going gift card from now on too.
Ditto. In a very small way it helps support the businesses that sell the gift cards, too.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2011-04-27, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Well, I don't think this needs to be a time to withhold your card from everyone because this company got hacked. I'm sure cardholder data wasn't a priority to them. A company like Amazon, PayPal, or NewEgg would be sure their card security is a step above since it is their livelihood. Yeah, PSN, iTunes etc. all get gift cards from me.
I've been doing it for years because I have limited financial means and acknowledge that, and I am also somewhat impulsive, so if I only have $15 in an Amazon gift card, I can't go buy $35 of Kindle books in one day based on impulse one-click purchases. I know what my weaknesses are and I compensate for them by being responsible and limiting how much I can spend at once. It is a side benefit of this habit that it's harder for my personal financial information to be stolen and frauded. (That did not stop changing all my stuff when a college I had applied to had a data breach, of course; you can't protect everything.)

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2011-04-27, 15:38

Well i just phoned Credit Card company and they highly recommended that the card was cancelled (and replaced with a card with different numbers). They seem to believe that the credit card details were more than likely to have been stolen.

So that cheered me up. Now the next huge problem is how am i going to pick up my hire car when the card i have booked it with has no been deactivated! Thanks again Sony.

I mean I am no network engineer or security person but I would have thought the PSN network and the system that hold the credit card info would be comely separate. The PSN system would then ask the credit card server to action the purchase without even having to hold the actual card info.

Last edited by nikstar101 : 2011-04-27 at 15:46. Reason: Making it a tad more readable
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2011-04-27, 16:10

How about giving your Dev. network access to 70 million credit card numbers.

Who in their right mind would even consider that?