User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Had to force quit OS X 10.4.4, problems?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Had to force quit OS X 10.4.4, problems?
Mac Adam

2006-01-16, 03:57

*** EDIT- I mean I had to Force Quit OS X 10.4.4 UPDATE (whilst updating) ***

Hi,

Software Updater detected some new updates, I attempted to download Quicktime, iTunes and the OS X 10.4.4. Got the spinning beach ball during the final update- 10.4.4, eventually I Force Quit Software Updater. The update was over 95% complete when I did this (it had been that way for over 20 mins), if the blue bar is an accurate gauge.

The version of OS X is displayed as 10.4.4 (the updated version) in About This Mac but I've had to force quit Safari once today (something I've not had to do with any program in four months of owning this computer), and generally the comp just feels a bit slower. It's an iBook G4 1.33Ghz 12" btw.

Do you think the update was not correctly installed? If so is there a way of uninstalling it and trying again? I don't have a back up of everything (ie music) so I'd rather not have to reinstall the OS. To be honest I'm not sure if it's just my imagination if it's slower or is definitely slower. Something just feels wrong, know what I mean?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-01-16, 04:10

Try downloading the combo updater (warning: 120MB), see if it installs completely. Repair permissions before and after the update, just to be on the safe side. (not something you should have to do on a regular basis, but it's one of the basic troubleshooting steps to follow if something goes pear-shaped).
Mac Adam

2006-01-16, 04:38

Thanks for your input

This might be a stupid question, but can you tell me what the difference is between the Combo update and the 'regular'? The Combo is twice the size of the regular, what else does it include?

I am going to try installing again, but do I need to uninstall the first attempt before I get started? I have repaired the permissions in any case, and will do the same after a successful update install.

Thanks for your help. As ever, answers breed more questions....
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-16, 04:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Adam
This might be a stupid question, but can you tell me what the difference is between the Combo update and the 'regular'? The Combo is twice the size of the regular, what else does it include?
The Combo update (or "Combined" update) includes all previous point release updaters. I.e., the 10.4.4 Combo update combines the 10.4.1, 10.4.2, 10.4.3 and 10.4.4 updates into one.

This is useful
1) if you are on an older version and want to skip updaters (obviously).
2) if you run into trouble while updating.

Quote:
I am going to try installing again, but do I need to uninstall the first attempt before I get started?
No, just download the Combo updater and install it on top of what you have now.

Quote:
I have repaired the permissions in any case, and will do the same after a successful update install.
Can't hurt.
Mac Adam

2006-01-16, 04:45

Great, thanks.
Mac Adam

2006-01-16, 05:11

Ok, I've downloaded the Combined update, and have it and and a disk image on the desktop.

Which one do I work with and what do I do now? I can't seem to find the information on the support pages. Basic stuff I know but I want to get it right.

Thanks again.
Mac Adam

2006-01-16, 05:14

Duh, figured it. Next time I'll take 2 minutes to look into it myself rather than waste everyone's time

Thanks.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-01-16, 05:14

Looks like you figured it out already. Let us know if it works.
Mac Adam

2006-01-16, 05:31

... Nearly there...

Right I've successfully installed the update, restarted and repaired the permissions. Hopefully it'll run as well as before now. A few questions though:

Do I now have two copies of every OS update I've installed since buying the computer (in October)?
If so, is this likely to cause any 'issues'?
If it might should I get rid of 'a copy'?
Is this even possible?

If anyone could clue me in on what the situation is I'd be very grateful.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-01-16, 05:35

To answer your first question: each successive update overwrites old versions of system files with the updated versions; it does not make archived copies (unlike the 'Archive and install' option that the OS X installer uses). Therefore, there won't be any conflicts or issues caused by old system files floating around.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-16, 05:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Adam
Do I now have two copies of every OS update I've installed since buying the computer (in October)?
Nope.

Quote:
If so, is this likely to cause any 'issues'?
If it might should I get rid of 'a copy'?
Is this even possible?
No, no and no.

Quote:
If anyone could clue me in on what the situation is I'd be very grateful.
You should be perfectly fine.
Mac Adam

2006-01-16, 07:01

These are the sort of problems I don't mind facing

Everything is working fine now.

Thanks to those who helped.