Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-22, 08:32

WOO HOO!
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/2415421...er-to-beta-1-1
Quote:
Updated Client and Server to Beta 1.1
The server update isn’t mandatory, but it’s HIGHLY recommended

* Rewrote Leaf Decay for the seventeenth time, and as a result..
* .. fixed HUGE fps drops in single player
* .. fixed players getting spammed with data and getting disconnected in SMP
* .. felt like a sexy programming god
* Fixed the item dupe bug in SMP
I'm not updating yet, though, based on this last groan:
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/2415520...to-beta-1-1-01
Quote:
Updated Client and Server to Beta 1.1_01
1.1 contained an additional bug fix I forgot about:
* Fixed “fancy” characters not working in the game by detaching font resources from the code.

1.1 contained a bug where no text worked anywhere in the game because the newly made font.txt didn’t make it into package when building..

This has been fixed in 1.1_01, and it affects both client and server.

[edit]

Groan, hang on..

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

¡Damned!

2010-12-22, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
So...singleplayer beta is working FINE for me. No glitches or anything like that. Trying to decide on my first major build there, as my mining shaft yielded a large pocket of diamond and redstone. ^_^
It's still not working for me. I can mine dirt, sand and wood, but when I mine stone and coal no block drops. Can't really get too far without stone tools.

So it goes.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-12-22, 10:58

Single player works fine for me but single player isn't nearly as fun

I built a big underground complex. Its on a hill near a coast. There are front and back entrances and a ton of mineshafts I made going into the hill. Also, theres a sweet ass watchtower that pops out of the middle of the hill.

I'm probably going to make something similar for Applenovaland.... once its up....

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

¡Damned!

2010-12-22, 11:17

Well that's odd. I wonder if the Beta busted my preferences or something.

- Hmm. Trashed my minecraft App Support folder, downloaded the latest .zip and still no love.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-22, 11:19

Are you using a pickaxe on the stone and coal? Any other tool will not produce usable resources.

¡Damned!

2010-12-22, 11:28

Oh god. I completely forgot that I could even make a wooden pickaxe.

Thanks Brad. I was freaking out!!!

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-12-22, 15:19

Shit. An hour and a half later.... I finally found my way back to my old fortress and now I've got a nice little dwelling going. I made my first door. I feel safe now.

I know I'm playing single player in a multiplayer world, but I like that time keeps moving in my world even when I'm not there. It adds an extra something to the game.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

¡Damned!

2010-12-22, 17:26

This is bullshit. I paid for the software, I expect to be able to use the software.

I'm becoming very irritated with this "Notch" guy. Alpha or not, he fucked up royally. Just wanting to release a buggy piece of shit on the 20th so he could raise the price? Fuck him.

So it goes.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-12-22, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
This is bullshit. I paid for the software, I expect to be able to use the software.

I'm becoming very irritated with this "Notch" guy. Alpha or not, he fucked up royally. Just wanting to release a buggy piece of shit on the 20th so he could raise the price? Fuck him.
Well...

First, right on the homepage, right below the price, in bold:

Please note that when you buy the game, you're paying for the game as it is right now!

I understand the "I want what I paid for" attitude, but in this case, you knew exactly what you were paying for: a beta. If your opinion is truly "software I buy should work" (which is a completely reasonable opinion, don't get me wrong) then you have no business participating in betas, paid or not.

Second, where have you been? Every other PC game that is launched, boxed, and sold at retail these days has the completeness of a late beta. Seen Civ V? It's bad, even for Civ, and Civ is notorious for botched releases. And I paid three times as much for that than Minecraft.

Alpha is the new Beta, Beta is the new 1.0, and 1.1 is the new 1.0

Software is hard. Software with this complexity and a team of only six? Geez. Think about it this way: software startups generally have three revenue options: Paid betas, angels (if you can call that revenue), and ????. I'm sure angels were never an option for Minecraft and I personally prefer a paid beta to ???? because companies which rely on ???? for revenue either die quickly and gruesomely or get sucked up by the 800lb gorilla of their field and are usually sent to a dark corner of a corporate prison to die a quiet death.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2010-12-22 at 17:59.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-22, 18:35

pssst... server's back up!

Bandwidth utilization is MUCH better now, maybe even better than Alpha once the world has loaded for a minute.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-22, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
First, right on the homepage, right below the price, in bold:

Please note that when you buy the game, you're paying for the game as it is right now!
That's just wrong, though. For the pat few days, I and the probably thousands of others stymied by problems were not playing the game we paid for. What I paid for in Alpha was a working server and client. This week we had a botched update forced down on us with no "legal" way to revert since notch's terms of use forbid redistributing the jars. Until notch allows updates to be truly optional, I think bitching about this is perfectly fair.

That "software is hard" is completely irrelevant. notch isn't the first person to release software patches. There are accepted practices for deploying releases. This is a problem space that has been solved over and over. Forcing untested (or barely tested) code on your entire user base is inexcusable.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-12-22, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Until notch allows updates to be truly optional, I think bitching about this is perfectly fair.
This I completely agree with. I interpreted 709's post as complaining about paid betas in general. Releasing Beta shouldn't have killed Alpha until it was certain that Beta was as stable as Alpha. Sorry for the confusion.

TO THE PUB!

¡Damned!

2010-12-22, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
This I completely agree with. I interpreted 709's post as complaining about paid betas in general. Releasing Beta shouldn't have killed Alpha until it was certain that Beta was as stable as Alpha. Sorry for the confusion!
Well, part of me was venting, yes. In my trademark "fuck everybody" style as well, so I can see the misinterpretation. But Brad hit on what I was most frustrated about (yet didn't spell out), that I was forced into an "upgrade" that didn't fucking work at all. I would've been perfectly happy to keep on playing in whatever mode I was in that worked, but no, I was forced to sit on the sidelines waiting for an update that worked only because the developers made me run their buggy software. Notch has since posted that he won't do it this way anymore - which is a relief - but still, what a fucked up way to go about things (and lose a little trust from your clientele in the meantime).

Anyways: TO THE PUB!

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2010-12-22 at 19:23.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-12-22, 19:49

I will be on in a little while. Need to start mining for what I need to start my project. Thinking I may need to make some sort of ugly to keep Creepers away from it, so there will be lots of fences to build. Thankfully, wood is easy to come by with leaf decay in place (seems like a 50% drop for saplings from decayed leaves as opposed to 10% for otherwise destroyed leaves).

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-22, 20:14

I have a couple of projects to work on, so I'll see if I can logon later.

Theelmerguy: Do you have plans for the area under the steps you built? I was hoping to build an Obsidian factory somewhere around there as it's nice and close to lava from Mordor Springs and the water. Free for everyone to use, of course. If my next mining mission doesn't go as well as hoped I might need a diamond pick donation from someone.....

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-12-22, 20:26

What's a good strategy for mining? Digging test shafts then expanding them?

SpecMode
Wait what

2010-12-22, 21:11

I'm really hoping for another patch in the near future. Between chunk loading errors taking out huge swaths of the map and requiring a logout-login cycle to fix, and a lot more stuttering than the last version, I'm going crazy over here.

I'll be taking an enforced break from Minecraft over the next few days while I'm at home visiting family for Christmas, so I'll be back on either this weekend or early next week.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-22, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
I'm really hoping for another patch in the near future. Between chunk loading errors taking out huge swaths of the map and requiring a logout-login cycle to fix, and a lot more stuttering than the last version, I'm going crazy over here.

I'll be taking an enforced break from Minecraft over the next few days while I'm at home visiting family for Christmas, so I'll be back on either this weekend or early next week.
Like you can't play on your MBA.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-12-22, 22:40

It's pretty CPU intensive isn't it?

drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-12-22, 23:19

Will it work on my PowerBook? What about on my iPhone?

SpecMode
Wait what

2010-12-22, 23:21

Actually, it's more the Internet connection than anything. My folks have HughesNet satellite, and it's the only "broadband" option available where they live. >1 second ping times, weather-related interference, and a rolling 24-hour download cap of 400MB put the kibosh on doing pretty much anything meaningful on it.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-12-23, 01:09

So the mine shaft behind Bonn's residence was a success. At the bottom, as I expected, there is a nice pool of lava. I crossed one or two caves on the way down (also expected) that I sealed in behind cobblestones as I wasn't prepared to fend off any attacking monsters. For the record, it is difficult but not impossible to build a spiral staircase through all caves top to bottom if you carry enough gravel or sand to fill in the gaps where needed. Anyway, I only did it to get to a safe still quantity of lava -- it's there for the taking if anyone is interested. If you do take, just light up the darkness with torches and wipe your feet when you leave.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-12-23, 03:05

I built a big watchtower behind the bar which serves no purpose other than to be taller than Castle Bryson I guess it looks pretty cool, too.

Oh, I also built a tunnel system connecting the mine (the one I named "The Cave of Mystery"), the bar, the watchtower, and my new-and-improved cave house. I can extend it to the other houses in Bridgeport if you'd like. (Or do we already have a secret tunnel system?)

I also built a big staircase mine in "the Cave of Mystery" whilst looking for diamond. (And to get the stone I needed for the watchtower.) It's straight back, on the right.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2010-12-23 at 03:19.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-23, 06:41

Stupid fog. I can't see my house from the spawn point because I can't see my torches. And I can't make out my direction because the sun isn't showing up. Ugh. Is there any easier way to get one's bearing in this world?

edit: turns out my render distance was set to "tiny". I upped it to far and could see my house. But it took me too long to get back there and all my stuff had disappeared. I was all geared up to make a mineshaft when I got attacked so I was all loaded with good inventory. double

Last edited by torifile : 2010-12-23 at 07:28.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-23, 08:36

Sounds like you ought to shack up on the AppleNova server, torifile! At least there you'd probably have someone else to lend a hand if you get lost or lose your stuff.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-12-23, 08:50

List of needed materials is done. On to stock counts needed...Once the counts are done, I'll send you the info, Brad. This is just...impressive, LOL. I have a lot of mining ahead for the initial starting stuff.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-12-23, 09:36

Quote:
Sounds like you ought to shack up on the AppleNova server, torifile! At least there you'd probably have someone else to lend a hand if you get lost or lose your stuff.
You're right. I should. I may switch over but I just found some Obsidian and gold in one of my mineshafts. But it would be cool to have others around.

This game is addictive. I spent probably 3 hours playing yesterday and I woke up early this morning to get some time in before the kids woke up. I've got a problem.

Bonn89

2010-12-23, 09:59

Quote:
pssst... server's back
BEST. NEWS. EVER.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-23, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
You're right. I should. I may switch over but I just found some Obsidian and gold in one of my mineshafts. But it would be cool to have others around.
I have been authorized to bribe you with offer an initial stipend of resources to help migrate you to the AN server. How many blocks of obsidian and gold did you say you found in that mineshaft?

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-12-23, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
You're right. I should.
You can stay in the bar until you build a house! Or you could just stay in the bar, thats what I do, even though I have my own housecave.