23"?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-02-08, 17:06

I doubt we'll see a 23" iMac.
ragingloogie

2005-02-09, 10:32

a 23" Imac? the biggest they have is a 20"... and largest screen is a 30" but thats a seperate screen for a box.... and that screen is also 23"... so i agree... im also skeptical of seeing a 23" Imac...
joelification

2005-02-11, 07:06

yo, I am thinking about gettin' a iMac in a couple of months time... do you guys think there will be a update/speed bump or somethin' like that by the start of April?

cheers.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-02-11, 16:30

My Permanent Advice On Upgades:

If you can wait, do.

If you can't wait, don't.

Either way, you're getting an awesome machine.

Just remember - there's ALWAYS going to be something better, so don't wait forever.
gar

2005-02-11, 17:45

the iMacG4 had its first speedbump after 13 months. next speedimprovement took 7 months and the iMacG5 was introduced 11 months later. the adding of a larger screen is not really an update but an expansion of the productline
so don't hold your breath.
flail

2005-02-11, 18:05

I distictly remember reading something (last summer when the iMac G5 was introduced) about the possibility of a entry-level system sans an optical drive starting at 1100 or 1000. Does anyone else remember that? Maybe they canceled that when they decided to make the mini, or I was hallucinating.
ge0rgiu5

2005-02-11, 18:23

You can buy it only for educational institutions:
NO OPTICAL
$1,099.00
Estimated Ship: 1-3 business days
Free Shipping
17-inch widescreen LCD
1.6GHz PowerPC G5
512K L2 cache
533MHz frontside bus
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
32MB DDR video memory
40GB Ultra ATA hard drive

Configured for education only
TerryG

2005-02-12, 17:25

Hello everyone!
Whats everyones best guess about what Apple will change in the iMac update?
I bet it won't be anything dramatic, just improvements on the basics like.

1. Replacing the Nvidia 5200 64k graphics card with a better 128k card.
2. Upgrading the 1.8 Ghz G5 with a 2Ghz chip, or 2.5Ghz if Apple can get their hands on enough chips from IBM to offer it. (A faster bus would be a nice long shot.)
3. Firewire 400 ports upgraded to firewire 800.
4. DVD burner upgraded from 4X to 8X.

My wish list of things that probably won't happen is
Restyling the front of the iMac to reduce the ugly white dead space below the LCD screen.
New Keyboard & mouse with scroll wheel.
DVD burner that can be upgraded in the future with Sony's HD Blue-ray format, this technology may not yet exist by the time of the update.
I would am curious to know what everyone thinks Apple's iMac update will look like.
KillleriMac17

2005-02-12, 20:41

If you want an imac, why wait, I just got one yesterday, its great.. now, they could announce one next week, but with any product, if you want one, get one, sometimes you could wait, and then NOT like what they come out with, where-as, if you want what they are offering now, go get it, sometimes it isnt worth it to wait and then not get what you want(of course, sometimes the opposite happens).
defaultmike

2005-02-12, 21:13

dude, iMacs, ibooks, and towers might have updates coming, but they wont be dramatic. If u get a 2.5GHz G5 tower today and tomorrow they announce a 3.0GHz, your computer will still do everything that u want lighting fast... and iMacs and iBooks are prob only gonna get minor proc upgrades. Maybe video cards, but nothing too different...

unless you're planning on buying a powerbook, my advice would be to buy now... unless u don't really need it/have another decent machine that can hold you up until the upgrade comes...
iSteve

2005-02-16, 19:29

Italian, French and German apple stores moved est. shipping for all the iMac models from 24h to 4 days... (I did not check the remaining EU stores)
It seems that revamped iMacs are coming early next week.
Let's hope it's not just a supply issue...
del-uks

2005-02-16, 20:17

From US Apple Store: "Estimated Ship: Same business day"...
I'm afraid it's just a supply issue.
iSteve

2005-02-17, 04:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by del-uks
From US Apple Store: "Estimated Ship: Same business day"...
I'm afraid it's just a supply issue.
wow
US apple store updated: "est. ship:7-10 bus. days"
iMac rev.B is on its way...
del-uks

2005-02-17, 07:28

Damn, you're right!

But where is my dual 3GHz PowerMac?
mpreed

2005-02-17, 07:48

Aha! It all makes sense now ...

The clues -

At the MWSF keynote, "Love" is mentioned repeatedly - is it a hint of Feb 14 a la the Paris hints last year?

The iPod mini is due to be bumped in size around now

The iMac delivery times are extended, just like the pbooks were a couple of weeks ago prior to being bumped

The new 17" pbook manual states the option of a higher res screen than is actually available - a last minute pull of an anticipated feature?

So put all this together, and it's clear that an announcement of new iPod minis and iMacs was due on the 14th, but has been delayed by a week, maybe to ensure the manuals have no more cock-ups, maybe to finalise work on the nice HD screens that the new iMacs are bound to have!

p.s. I don't believe any of this, but it's amazing what the brain can come up with when it spends too much time on these forums!!!!
berner

2005-02-17, 07:50

damn is right!, yesterday i checked the canada store when isteve posted:3-5 days, this morning 7-10 days....
wizard69

2005-02-17, 12:33

Have any of you out there thinking about an iMac considered getting one of the new MINIs? Just a thought.

Personally I like the iMacs external design, it is the internal excution that I have problems with. Hopefully they would be corrected in Rev #2. I must say though that the Mini is tempting and for the price is nicely done and a good bargain.

The most glaring problem with the iMac is the video subsystem. I don't expect the fastest video processor in the world, but I do expect a reasonable amount of memory and performance suitable for the middle of Apples product line. Updates here will definetly pull me in the iMac direction.

Of course things like the possibility for more main memory is also a good thing.

Now if Apple really wanted to rock the boat the new machine would have a variant of the Cell processor. Could you just imagine what that would be like.

DAve
Alcibiades

2005-02-17, 13:08

I'm thinking about getting a new iMac around August, and a video update would seal the deal for me (it too, think that it is lacking). However, I'm not really a fan of the mini either, as its expensive to put a gig of ram in it, and its kind of lacking all around for me. We'll see how much cash I have at the end of the summer, I'm either getting a super 17 iMac, or if somehow I hit it big and make a lot of money, a 15 inch powerbook.

Although its looking now that if I buy in August, I'll miss another internal bump by a few months, I may hold out awhile longer....
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-02-17, 14:34

An iMac update soon would be awesome.

And while it likely will contain "only" internal changes, I hope the iMac gets an external face-lift in its next few revisions, too. It should lose the chin, instead being slightly wider on both sides of the screen (front-facing speakers could be put on those "ears"). This would not only look nicer, it would help differentiate it from a LCD-based eMac, which would likely have a chin (it wouldn't be as bad of a chin, though, as the eMac would have a 4x3 screen...from the front, it could actually look very similair to the current eMac). Silver trim around the perimeter (to match the Mac mini) rounds out my wish list, but I really doubt any of this will come to be, and if it does, not for some time.
TerryG

2005-02-17, 20:36

If Apple changes the exterior design, I would like to see them get rid of the chin by making the LCD box much deeper at the bottom, allowing for a front loading DVD super-drive just below the LCD to replace the poorly designed side loading drive. This would not only look nicer, allowing for a much smaller chin, but also improve ergonomics. Giving up the 2" bragging rights would well be worth it.
Apple is normally so good with design, its strange that they chose this layout.
I agree the chance is small that they will give the iMac a much needed face lift on this version, but Apple has pulled rabbits out of their hat before.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-17, 21:40

I can't imagine them doing a complete overhaul redesign on a Rev. B release. About all they'd do is perhaps toy with some surfacing ideas (in the way the iBooks have gone from glossy to matte to off-white, etc. over the years.

But I don't think there's going to be any "chin surgery" in the cards until this particular iMac design has run its course in 2-3 years, and a completely fresh, brand new design is rolled out at some point.
kcmac

2005-02-17, 23:08

This is supposedly the fastest selling Mac ever. I don't think they will be changing the design anytime soon nor do I want them to. I love my iMac. Best computer I have ever owned.
defaultmike

2005-02-17, 23:31

I have no prob with the "chin" I think the current iMac looks awesome
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-17, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmac
This is supposedly the fastest selling Mac ever. I don't think they will be changing the design anytime soon nor do I want them to. I love my iMac. Best computer I have ever owned.
And fastest returning... my god, we get almost 10% of the iMacs we sell back in for some sort of trouble within the first three months. Apple's spec only allows for 1% of all computer sold to be returned as DOA, the rest have to be serviced under AppleCare, and let me tell you, that does not make our clients happy.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
iSteve

2005-02-18, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/ickes
And fastest returning... my god, we get almost 10% of the iMacs we sell back in for some sort of trouble within the first three months. Apple's spec only allows for 1% of all computer sold to be returned as DOA, the rest have to be serviced under AppleCare, and let me tell you, that does not make our clients happy.
really?!? what kind of problems? 10% is a very high number!

back on topic...
I really hope there will be a GPU upgrade and a solution for the I/O issue (disk access, fw and usb transfer rate...)
so... "next tuesday" we will be able to buy:
1.8 - 2.0 Ghz G5
256 MB (as usual )
160 - 200 GB Hd
GeF6600 GT
no price redux

I think that the GPU will be nVidia based because it seems to me that apple is trying keep the 50/50 ratio between ATI and nVidia on "high" volume products (Mac mini ATI, iMac nVidia).
Carlos Net

Send a message via AIM to Carlos Net Send a message via MSN to Carlos Net  
2005-02-18, 11:59

Personally, I like the way the iMac G5 looks right now, and would absolutely hate to see the 'chin' taken off, expecially if it resulted in widening of the enclosure. That would just look ugly.

And a front-loading optical drive? I hope that was meant to be a joke. That would be uglier by a factor of 10, not to mention completely unneccessary. Why fix what isn't broken?

Processor upgrades would of course always be welcome, as well as graphics card and SuperDrive speed upgrades. More importantly, it would be nice to see 512MB memory coming as standard.

Don't know about the idea of replacing any FW400 with FW800, though. FW400 are generally still more useful. If they could fit an 800 in addition to the existing 400 ports, then great, but otherwise that wouldn't be the best of moves.
allenmertes

2005-02-18, 12:26

A week ago I ordered a new iMac. I just received an email from Apple saying that it would not ship for another week. Would you recommend me canceling my order? It isn't really important when I get the computer, but I don't want to be waiting for months. Are you fairly certain that the delays mean that the iMacs are being updated? Thanks for the help!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-02-18, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenmertes
A week ago I ordered a new iMac. I just received an email from Apple saying that it would not ship for another week. Would you recommend me canceling my order? It isn't really important when I get the computer, but I don't want to be waiting for months. Are you fairly certain that the delays mean that the iMacs are being updated? Thanks for the help!
It is Apple's MO to delay ship dates when upgrades are about to happen. Apple may be trying to save you some consternation by waiting to ship you an iMac until after the upgraded models come out.

Think of it this way, would you be happier if Apple got you your iMac tomorrow, then you see them get updated next week, or if Apple made you wait a week and you received the upgraded model?
Quagmire
meh

2005-02-18, 13:31

Ai posted something about this coming Wednesday is going to have a significant announcement.

Quote:
Several tipsters are reporting that, like the iPod mini, iMacs are suddenly reflecting wait times of 7-10 business days for direct orders from the Apple online store. iMacs had previously shown "same business day" ship estimates. While the iPod mini is expected to see an update as early as next week, there is no evidence yet to support an imminent revision to the iMac G5 product line. However, sources close to the company claim that the flow of G5 microprocessors from IBM has improved significantly over the past few months. Apple, at its discresion, could improve on the iMac's performance anytime, sources said. The iMac continues to be a hot seller in February, and such a move would aim to preserve the iMacs momentum, sources added. A 2GHz iMac has been stable for some time. Meanwhile, reports from inside the company hint that a significant announcement will be made on or around Wednesday of next week. No further details are available at this time. If you have any further information on these tips please let us know.
http://www.appleinsider.com/backpage/