User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Minecraft 1.7: New biomes and terrain! New flowers! New Trees! Oh my!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft 1.7: New biomes and terrain! New flowers! New Trees! Oh my!
Page 4 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-12, 00:42

I have a party that night so have fun without me!

don't claim everything!!!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-12, 21:16

So, we've talked about this in-game a bit, but I forgot to post here.

The official 1.7 restart time is 8 PM EST tomorrow. Hopefully that can fit into most people's scheduled!

As usual, I'll probably hit an unexpected snag and be running 15-20 minutes late. Target launch window is still 8, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-13, 02:07

Please post explicit instructions!!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-12-13, 02:19

Should be there
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2013-12-13, 06:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Punch trees, get wood, don't die
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-13, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-12-13, 15:09

A digital warbler...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-13, 17:39

I've been generating tons of seeds this evening, and one thing I've learned about 1.7 is that the biomes are big (even in "normal") and spread waythefuck out. I'm going to keep trying to find a seed that has all the interesting biomes (ice, mesa, mega taiga, savanna, roofed forest, etc) within a 1000-block radius, but it's challenging. Since adjacent biome placement is actually more logical instead of random, it's far more difficult to find variety within a given area.

Some single biomes span over a thousand blocks wide. The entire area of Cashout Cove that we're keeping is a "mere" 1.5K by 1.5K blocks. Some of these new biomes could swallow the whole area!

We may simply end up having a world that lacks one or some of the cool new biomes...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-13, 17:41

Oh boy.

My apologies, gentlefolk, for my terribly non-specific request for instruction as it has embarrassingly exposed Brad's belief that nouns might count as instructive.

In fact, only the first 3 of Bradley's 7 dirty words might count as instructions (shit in my mouth, piss in the wind, please fuck my sister) whereas the remaining 4 dirty words were more nominative.

In truth, I only wanted to know the process by which I might access the lovely newness of version 1.7.x of the Minecraft this evening.

Again, allow me to make a grand and dramatically sweeping apology to all of you with a theatrical ruffle at the end.

Fuckers.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-13, 17:50

My bad! I thought you were looking for expletive instructions. Clearly I misread your post.

Steps to update:

1. Launch Minecraft.
2. Create a new profile or edit an existing one.
3. Ensure that "Use version" is set to "Use Latest Version".
4. Save Profile.
5. Play!

There are no Forge or Optifine or other client-side mods that are ready and stable for 1.7. So, we're basically going vanilla!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-13, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Some single biomes span over a thousand blocks wide. The entire area of Cashout Cove that we're keeping is a "mere" 1.5K by 1.5K blocks. Some of these new biomes could swallow the whole area!
Here's an example of the insanity I'm talking about:

The gridlines are 1K apart. That eastern desert easily spans four thousand blocks north to south, and this is on the "normal" not "large biomes" setting.

(Wait, did I just hear 709 squeal with delight?)

¡Damned!

2013-12-13, 18:57

*writes down seed*

Quote:
1. Launch Minecraft.
2. Create a new profile or edit an existing one.
3. Ensure that "Use version" is set to "Use Latest Version".
4. Save Profile.
5. Play!
The font! It burnses me!

Quote:
There are no Forge or Optifine or other client-side mods that are ready and stable for 1.7. So, we're basically going vanilla!
What happens to private chests in 1.7? Will it just lift the permissions? Not like we really need privatization so much any more, but I do wonder.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-13, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
What happens to private chests in 1.7? Will it just lift the permissions? Not like we really need privatization so much any more, but I do wonder.
The locks go poof, but everything else remains the same.

Also, I'm stopping the server now! I'll be restarting into 1.7 but with only me on the whitelist while I run some tests. Once everything looks good, I'll open to the world and post again for you guys to jump in.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-12-13, 19:57

Patiently awaiting.

EDIT: So maybe patiently is a poor word to choose.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-12-13, 20:12

I'm twitching here.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-13, 20:16

Almost there! Testing the move of our old regions [-1:1],[-1,1] into this world but in a different place.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-12-13, 20:20

I'm not seeing server time stamps change. Is every thing ok?

billybobsky
BANNED

2013-12-13, 20:22

so the coordinates will likely change for 'old spawn' then... I guess i was wrong 709...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-12-13, 20:23

The joys of wandering untamed Nether!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-12-13, 20:26

It's on! GO GO GO
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-14, 02:17

Hey I heard Grey found a desert/canyon biome but can't find it again so I'm claiming it instead.

Sorry Grey.

¡Damned!

2013-12-14, 12:17

Note to self: stop using dashes when writing down coords. Use colons Grey!

x - 356 (bad) x: 356 (good!)

Apologies to Drew for following my dumb ass around last night because I see my dashes as minus signs when I've had a bottle or two of Zin.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2013-12-14 at 12:30.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-14, 17:25

He kept turning in circles!! I figured it was an elaborate hoax

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-19, 17:56

You guys SUCK!

Nobody on, nobody posting about being on, nothing.

Nada.

You suck something awful.
You're terrible people and nobody likes you.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-19, 18:35

I've been on most of the day. So, maybe you suck!

Did you think about that?

(P.S. The pig-dudes are all kinds of pissed off in the Nether, so everyone go in prepared!)

(P.P.S. I take no responsibility for accidentally whacking one. NOT. MY. FAULT! )

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-12-19, 18:38

as long as you used the pick i gave you, i am happy to take a bruising.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-19, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
as long as you used the pick i gave you, i am happy to take a bruising.
Been using it lots and lots and lots. But that's not what I hit pig-boy with. A skellie followed me through the portal and hit me from behind. I thought it was a pig-dude so, naturally, I panicked and started whacking everything. Boy, did I make a mess.

Grrr!

Also, what happened to all the animals in the new city? Brad had bazillions, and they're all gone.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-12-19, 18:51

As Dellphi said, old spawn and the new world are "out of phase" like in an episode of Star Trek.

And me?? I suck titties, son!!!

Woohoo!!!

Can't wait until we (Brad) gets all this business sorted out.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2013-12-19, 21:36

I'm kinda holding off myself until the world gets sorted. CC is unbearable right now, and I'm hesitant to work on anything lest it gets reset.

Not sure what avenue we'll go, but I only see 3 options. Keep the current world and wipe CC, reboot CC from last Friday and regen around it with the current seed, reboot and regen around CC with a new seed.

I poked around a little bit a couple of days ago wondering what sexy biomes CC would overwrite from the current seed, and it's not much. To the W it wouldn't touch the mesa biome, so there'd be an ocean to ocean transition. To the N there's a Spruce biome that would be hit. To the S there's mesa, but it would *just* hit it. To the E there's lots of ocean, but a tall stone shore (or whatever they're called) would be impacted, plus some dark forest. Just replacing a lot of ocean with a lot of ocean from CC, basically, with some odd edges that we'd already expected.

Personally, I love the current seed, and the new biomes wouldn't be affected *that* much by wrapping it around CC. I expect we'll find a new home 4-5K away anyways, so I'm sure there's another ocean-front out there that can be settled (if that's the preference).

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2013-12-19 at 21:57.
SpecMode
Wait what

2013-12-19, 22:09

I'm in favor of 709's option #2: put CC back in the center of the map, and blow away everything around it in favor of the current 1.7 seed.

Other than finding my awesome horse, I haven't really done anything since the reboot that I can't stand to lose.