User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Tiger - What UNPUBLICISED features would you like to see?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tiger - What UNPUBLICISED features would you like to see?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Gizzer

2005-02-10, 06:48

OK, Powerbooks & iBooks have been done to death and now we are seeing more and more about Tiger, what new features would you like to see in the 200+ enhancements that Apple are quoting?

We all know about the biggest feature changes, so ignore those and think of what other things would make your life easier....

My main wish:

An open and save dialog that does not take at least 3-4 seconds to appear!!! Everything else in Panther is so snappy but the Save As... dialog and the Open dialog seem to take ages to appear. I use a 1.5Ghz Powerbook and an iMac G5 so I'm guessing this is consistent for everyone...

Given that in Tiger Spotlight has already indexed your files, I would hope these two things appear *INSTANTLY* (if not sooner via precognition!)

It's a simple thing but it drives me nuts when opening/saving different documents in different applications...
iasky

2005-02-10, 08:58

I would like life like voices for "Text to Speech".

I use this feature a lot at work and those current voices drive me crazy.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-02-10, 09:12

More advanced VPN controls. At the mo it seems OSX is assuming verious things about the VPN you are trying to create... And we all know that assumption is the mother, father and grandparents of ALL fuckups!!!

:smokey:

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
TednDi

2005-02-10, 09:23

a really good synch application which allows me to synch my data, photos and music between multiple (authorized) computers. I would like this to be user defineable like with smart albums.

my .02
Gizzer

2005-02-10, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TednDi
a really good synch application which allows me to synch my data, photos and music between multiple (authorized) computers. I would like this to be user defineable like with smart albums.

my .02
Make that 2nd on my list then! Running 2 computers that completely sync would be awesome! Work on an iMovie on my iMac, then finish the project on my Powerbook and vice versa! This would be great over a Firewire connection (Wi-Fi is just too slooooow for GB sized file transfers (although the option to do it should still be included...).

Using it like Smart albums is a neat idea: Today I want to sync my several-gig video project over Firewire, but tomorrow I might want to just sync my documents, a few Mb of music & photo's over WiFi....

I would call it iSyncOD (iSync On Drugs!)

Cool... :smokey:

Last edited by Gizzer : 2005-02-10 at 09:36. Reason: Just thought of a catchy name for it!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-10, 09:32

I'm just hoping this Dashboard thing has some sort of movie location/time feature, which is about the only thing I use Sherlock for anymore. If this feature doesn't find its way in, I'll be bummed. I use it several times a week, and it's so much easier and quicker than going to some website.

It displays the info in a much cleaner, easier-to-read layout than you'd find on any movie-listing website. And it totally trumps looking through those small, cluttered newspaper ads.
Gizzer

2005-02-10, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I'm just hoping this Dashboard thing has some sort of movie location/time feature, which is about the only thing I use Sherlock for anymore. If this feature doesn't find its way in, I'll be bummed. I use it several times a week, and it's so much easier and quicker than going to some website.
I'd like to see that functionality full stop! The novelty of seeing what's on in a cinema 3000 miles away wore off in about 3 seconds.
octavist13

2005-02-10, 10:33

I would like to see a Finder print function that used to be in OS 9 so you can easily print directories of your file folders. Having to use the PrintWindow app is a drag.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-10, 10:39

When you say "full stop", what do you mean exactly? I've never heard that phrase. Does that mean you want it gone (stopped)?

I don't view it as a "novelty", and I certainly don't give two damns about what's playing 3,000 miles away. As is, the current Sherlock movie thing is, IMO, the best for movie-finding, at least for me. I'm just hoping it makes its way to a Dashboard widget before it's all over. Surely it will...I can't be the only one who uses it.

Anyone NOT liking it certainly won't have to use it, of course. But I get sad when I don't see something like it shown on Tiger's new Dashboard page at apple.com

¡Damned!

2005-02-10, 10:45

Quote:
When you say "full stop", what do you mean exactly? I've never heard that phrase. Does that mean you want it gone (stopped)?

'Tis the British way of saying 'period'.

( . <= 'full stop' )
Gizzer

2005-02-10, 10:46

Quote:

I don't view it as a "novelty", and I certainly don't give two damns about what's playing 3,000 miles away. As is, the current Sherlock movie thing is, IMO, the best for movie-finding, at least for me. I'm just hoping it makes its way to a Dashboard widget before it's all over. Surely it will...I can't be the only one who uses it.
Sorry, I'll clarify: For "Full Stop" read "Period" (Full stop is UK version of ".")! And 3000 miles away refers to the (usual) habit that Apple have of forgetting that the rest of the world exists!! I.e, no UK based sherlock cinema lookup. In fact, sherlock is next to useless outside the US.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2005-02-10, 10:48

I'll second that Pscates... that movie finder is awesome. I don't get a newspaper and it sure beats calling the dumb moviephone thing. There's a lot of good functionality in Sherlock (phone book, flights, translation etc) that has really fallen to the side development-wise (whens the last time Jobs even mentioned Sherlock?). Hopefully we see some renewed interest in Tigger through Dashboard.

Shhhh, I can't see!
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-02-10, 10:49

Actually, Americans used the term more back when telegrams were all the rage. At least that's how I first heard the term in context.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2005-02-10, 10:51

So if it doesn't work for Gizzer in the UK they should cease development? Um yeah.
Gizzer

2005-02-10, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dviant
So if it doesn't work for Gizzer in the UK they should cease development? Um yeah.
Actually, I think that's me and several hundred thousand people that it doesn't work for but I'm not counting...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-10, 11:05

Ah, I get it now (thanks 709 and Gizzer).

If you'ns sumbitches would learn yourselfs to talk A-MER-ican, there wouldn't not be no confusion! *a TRIPLE negative...top THAT!*

Shame there aren't regionalized plug-ins and whatnot for this feature. Interesting. I didn't know that (the movie feature didn't work outside the U.S.).

Gizzer

2005-02-10, 11:18

Quote:

Shame there aren't regionalized plug-ins and whatnot for this feature. Interesting. I didn't know that (the movie feature didn't work outside the U.S.).

Yeah it's a bummer, mind you it took two years before we were able to order books from iPhoto too.... (c'mon, feel sorry for me )

But, I think dashboard has the potential to be a complete Sherlock replacement anyway, Instant On, Instant Off information at your fingertips. Plus even if regionalised widgets don't work everywhere, I get the impression it's esier to code a new Dashboard widget than it is to write a Sherlock Channel so hopefully they will spring up everywhere...
Corpus_Callosum

2005-02-10, 11:34

Have a finder view (using spotlight, I assume) that shows a timeline. All accessed, new, modified (and deleted?) files shown on the timeline with configurable filters (e.g. only documents, all files, ...).

Isn't it easier to look for something based on when you remember using it? Wouldn't it be cool to see a timeline of your historical use of your computer? Can spotlight drive such a finder view?
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-02-10, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
More advanced VPN controls. At the mo it seems OSX is assuming verious things about the VPN you are trying to create... And we all know that assumption is the mother, father and grandparents of ALL fuckups!!!

:smokey:
Meh, I love the completely simple VPN set-up in Panther. Suits me to the ground.
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2005-02-10, 12:07

The features of WordService and IceCoffee (Services in contextual menus, a dialog to select which Services you want to use and see) folded into the OS, instead me having to recommend the damn things to everyone every 45 minutes.

That'd be nice.
HOM
The Elder™

2005-02-10, 12:12

iSync, iSync, iSync!

Did I mention iSync?

iSync is a joke. But Apple knows that and that's why they abdicated responsibility for support new phones by 'opening' up iSync. Please, it means we're going to have to start paying third parties for functionality that Apple should be including and falsely promised to include years ago.

So here's to hoping that Apple finny got off their asses and included SyncML in iSync.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-02-10, 12:56

I'd like to see something like MenuCalendarClock for the menu bar. Even though I've bought it already, it totally deserves to be part of the OS!
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-02-10, 13:48

I'd like a full blown XP simulator built in (like Virtual PC) and I would switch it on periodically to remind myself how lucky I am.

I had a friend who worked at MacDonalds (early shift) as a student who set his alarm to 5am on his day off so he could realise how lucky he was that day.
spiff

Send a message via AIM to spiff  
2005-02-10, 13:49

The only thing I can think of at the moment is better SMB networking. Whenever I connect to my PC at home and browse the hardrive it creates a bunch of stupid files on the PC that I then have to delete. Very bothersome.
Tuttle

2005-02-10, 13:57

Real OpenGL drivers, not the novelty ones they currently ship.
Geefive

2005-02-10, 15:27

I would like a weather widget with like 3 days forecast and another widget to show whats on tv, and just like the weather, tell what is coming up. I already have a python script that works but it would be cool with a nice widget with glassy icons and stuff =P
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-02-10, 16:22

I vote for the completely frivolous: TV Guide Widget
nomorewindows

2005-02-10, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler
I vote for the completely frivolous: TV Guide Widget
I want something even MORE frivolous--a Starbucks finder.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-02-10, 19:26

The ability to the finder's menu bar font sizes.
Also resolution independancy (although I think this has been mentioned for the release after Tiger).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-02-10, 20:59

Really, Dashboard sounds awesome. I hope a Now Playing widget materializes, too.

Can't think of much that I want that hasn't been announced, really. I think the only thing is probably lower requirements for CI...it'd keep me from feeling like my brand new Mini is, well, old. Oh well.