Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

BattleNova™ Videomaker Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
BattleNova™ Videomaker Thread
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-17, 16:05

I'd love to discuss how you guys are capturing your video (software, hardware, etc) so I am starting this thread for that as a continuing discussion.

Hardware Minimum Requirements

My machine is a MBP, so it sounds like I'm out of the running for playing AND capturing.

Could a MacMini possibly handle running the game AND doing video capture to an external drive?

Software Capture Apps

I have SnapzPro, but I know that there are other, newer video capture apps out there - what are you using and why?

Title Graphics

Each player usually creates their own title screens but sometimes they have a shared graphic to help brand the overall event.

Maybe the winner of each season gets to make or pick the graphic for ensuing seasons?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-17, 16:07

Resolution

What's an "okay" resolution versus a really good resolution?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-17, 16:22

I think we should stick with a graphic for the sake of continuity/recognition and not go changing it up.

Also, I have to say that I like the one you have created, only I think the swords should be crossed and inside a shield (perhaps wood would look best).

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-17, 16:57

Well the kerning is way off on this but it could suggest a direction
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-06-17, 16:57

I'm glad you said it so I didn't have to. Those Ts were making me T_T

I really liked the little animation/musical ditty that Brad put in front of all his videos. I was like "ooh, production values!"

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-06-17, 18:50

I wish I had any clue about this kinda stuff. I need to work on a Twitch intro and outro.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-17, 18:56

When watching the UHC episodes it helps for me to see DIFFERENT cards for each season, and each player, and a bit of customization between players can be fun. Maybe we have common library elements we can provide to everyone?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-17, 19:18

I like the title card you made, though shouldn't it use our texture pack's swords?

Maybe some X-ray blocks and invisible players too.

Really though I love the idea. I'm planning to get an Apple Trackpad (or bring mine home from work) so I can play on Beast where I can play and record at the same time. My MBP would run out of space way to fast if I tried to play and record on it.

Personally I'll use ScreenFlow (regularly in a software bundle for a fraction of retail) or Quicktime to record my perspective. I'm also planning to share on Twitch too, so that should be recorded as well. I try to be sure everything I do is 1080p at least so it looks great on large or high res screens. Sure it's bigger, but since most people are going to be watching via Youtube the scaling will be on them for that anyway.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-21, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Hardware Minimum Requirements

My machine is a MBP, so it sounds like I'm out of the running for playing AND capturing.
Don't count yourself out! When we played two weeks ago in the inaugural game, I was playing on an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro. I ran the game full-screen with TeamSpeak in the background and Snapz Pro X also capturing full-screen. All local. No external drives or anything like that.

Quote:
Could a MacMini possibly handle running the game AND doing video capture to an external drive?
Maybe! This probably depends mostly on the resolution of your screen. The larger your screen resolution, the more taxing the endeavor will be on your CPU, GPU, and disk.

Quote:
I have SnapzPro, but I know that there are other, newer video capture apps out there - what are you using and why?
That's what I use, but I haven't really tried out the competition. Then I (painstakingly) processed the intro, outro, and episodes in iMovie. I really really wish I still had a Final Cut license because I know it would have handled the process far more easily. Making precise anythings in iMovie is an excruciating exercise. I had to make several sacrifices to the elder gods.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-21, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I like the title card you made, though shouldn't it use our texture pack's swords?
That was my exact thought when I first saw Drew's post a few days ago, and I'm just now getting around to making my own version.

My original title card used the darker, greener anniversary-themed AppleNova background color. I've updated it to use our current background and added some graphics.

Not quite sure if I like the stroke around the text, but in this case the white text needs something to help contrast against the background. I might come up with more alternatives.

edit: here's one that uses a drop shadow instead.

To compare with the one from the first game:

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-06-21, 15:19

Ooh, is the next tourney really on July 11?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-07-12, 21:20

I'm using the second one with the drop shadows for my video. I hope to publish my first portion tonight. I'm working on it now as a matter of fact.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.