Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

External Drive mounting...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
External Drive mounting...
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2005-11-19, 19:39

This is getting very annoying now. My external drive doesnt mount well with the PB. I've read that this is a known problem with Mac? Is there a fix? I have a Western Digital 80GB with two partitions. One named Windows and one Macintosh. Windows has all my old PCs backed up files, and hardly ever mounts itself. Even if I use Disk Utility, it wont mount. Or if they both do, it takes AT LEAST 30 minutes. Also, the drive sits here on my desk with its light almsot always flickering because the drive is being read. Is that what its doing; reading it? Its 50GB, while Mac Partition is ~13.

Timm
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-11-19, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man
This is getting very annoying now. My external drive doesnt mount well with the PB. I've read that this is a known problem with Mac? Is there a fix? I have a Western Digital 80GB with two partitions. One named Windows and one Macintosh. Windows has all my old PCs backed up files, and hardly ever mounts itself. Even if I use Disk Utility, it wont mount. Or if they both do, it takes AT LEAST 30 minutes. Also, the drive sits here on my desk with its light almsot always flickering because the drive is being read. Is that what its doing; reading it? Its 50GB, while Mac Partition is ~13.
Err... first of all, what file systems are we talking about? Second, how do you connect? USB? FireWire? Third, does Console offer any information on problems regarding mounting?
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2005-11-19, 20:08

Oh, more info.

USB
File Sytem: NTFS(I think that is a problem)
I know of console, but dont know what to use if it to see whats going on.
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2005-11-19, 20:10

EDIT: FAT32 File system
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-19, 22:49

Also, tech support issues belong in the Genius Bar. Moving now...