Apple Pencil 3 - with USB-C charging
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-10-17, 09:49

News release

Quote:
Apple Pencil Lineup

The new Apple Pencil is the most affordable model, making it ideal for everyday productivity and creativity. With USB-C charging and pairing, the new Apple Pencil is great for iPad (10th generation) users and also works with all iPad models that have a USB-C port, including iPad Pro, iPad Air and iPad mini.
Apple Pencil (1st generation) supports pressure sensitivity, delivering a remarkably fluid and natural drawing experience. Apple Pencil (1st generation) works with iPad (10th generation), and the Lightning port on iPad (9th generation) makes it easy to quickly connect Apple Pencil (1st generation) for pairing and charging.
Apple Pencil (2nd generation) further enhances and streamlines professional workflows with support for pressure, the double-tap gesture, and Apple Pencil hover on iPad Pro models with M2. Compatible with iPad Pro, iPad Air, and iPad mini models, Apple Pencil (2nd generation) features a matte finish and flat side that supports magnetic pairing and charging.
Customers can choose the perfect Apple Pencil that is compatible with their iPad model. For more information on compatibility, visit apple.com/apple-pencil.

So if you want pressure sensitivity and other smarts you will want the v2 Pencil. If you need USB-C then you get a choice now. If the new Pencil wasn't crippled I would think it was the replacement for the MagSafe charging that is on the side of the iPad so they can put the cameras there. Apple will need to bring those features back with the "Pro" Pencil if they will be pushing for that.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-10-17, 10:37

I'm trying to figure out why this stupid thing exists.

Why not give it all the things and just replace the 1st-gen model? Apple just released a USB-C to Lightning adapter, so it wouldn't take much effort to make the new model work with Lightning iPads.

Or, better yet, just discontinue both the 9th-gen iPad and the 1st-gen Apple Pencil and be done with this lineup mess.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-10-17, 11:28

This is dumb.

So dumb

The magnetic charging was super convenient.

Why go this direction?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-10-17, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I'm trying to figure out why this stupid thing exists.
Because the Pencil 2 only works by attaching magnetically and charging that way. So it isn't compatible with iPads that don't allow magnetic pencil charging.

The Pencil 3 can attach, but charges via USB-C port.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-10-17, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Because the Pencil 2 only works by attaching magnetically and charging that way. So it isn't compatible with iPads that don't allow magnetic pencil charging.

The Pencil 3 can attach, but charges via USB-C port.
Yes, I know all of that. Still, they cripple the stupid thing to the point where it only sort of works with iPad Air, iPad mini, and iPad Pro. "Sort of works" isn't a good solution.

There has been no grumbling in our shop in terms of the cost of Pencil 2 with those models of iPad. The grumbling comes from those people looking for lower-cost iPads.

So, Apple makes a new model that doesn't solve any problems with the higher-end iPads? Instead, it's a crippled device at that level. Plus, from the documentation, it's clear this new model doesn't work with Lightning iPads at all, so Apple really created a slightly cheaper alternative for a problem that never existed, and one that really only makes sense with exactly one model of iPad (the iPad 10). And, I think it will be a hard sell to save $20 and give up pressure sensitivity. Artists (even budding artists) want realistic drawing tools, and with no pressure sensitivity, they cannot get that.

The magnetic attachment bit I can't understand, either, because the models that it works with don't necessitate this "fix". The lower end models? I can see a good fit there, but why bother with the magnetic bit? That's just going to sew more confusion into the product line. It's that "works with these, but not with those" thing that Apple is continually screwing up, lately.

Sorry, but this is a solution looking for a problem.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-10-17, 12:43

I think the real thing here is they are setting themselves up for future iPads. By releasing this now, it will make more sense when the iPads release in the "near future".

How it makes sense I've yet to figure out, but I'm sure it has to do with the front camera placement on the current lineup of iPads.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-10-17, 12:47

Yep. Absolutely.

But why cripple the thing?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-10-17, 12:48

Make room for the sliding port.

Actually, that really is probably why.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-10-17, 14:01

I seriously doubt if that's the reason. The Pencil 1g has the same amount of space devoted to the Lightning connector.
¡Damned!

2023-10-17, 21:37

It just adds to the confusing iPad mess as well. Get rid of the home-button iPad, ffs, it sticks out like a sore thumb at this point. 4G LTE? Lightning? 1080p? A13? C'mon.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-10-17, 23:04

Apple’s lineup is as cluttered and confusing - iPads, the notebooks - as I can recall in a ling time. When people ask for my purchase advice/input, I have to ask a bazillion questions of them and go spend a boatload of time at Apple’s site. And, even then, I struggle and am not much help as I was in the past. It’s harder now, than ever before, to be the Apple “guru”/answer guy amongst my circle of friends and family. I no longer seek it out or offer that stuff as I once did. In fact, in the past 12-18 months I’ve steered a few folks toward Windows-based computers and Android phones. their budget doesn’t allow for the Apple stuff, and it gets me off the hook in terms of setup, tech support, troubleshooting and endless texts/phone calls if the “hey, how do I…” or “I’m having some trouble/confusion with…” variety.

Anyone in my orbit buying non-Apple stuff knows I’m the LAST person to reach out to for help on Windows or Android. Sinpkifies my life greatly when I’m no longer expected to help or have the answers. Even with Apple stuff, I struggle a bit these days. I’m not as sharp, mentally, as I was 10 years ago and, honestly, the interest/passion simply isn’t there as it was 12-15+ years ago. Honestly, I kinda hate this shit now. I no longer cheerlead/evangelize for the company as before because so much they do annoys/puzzles me and, in good conscience, I can’t blindly shill for them as before. I’m not gonna push anyone into an old-ass 24” M1 iMac in goofy colors and barebones specs for the amount of money asked.

Honestly, I just usually try to steer them to the most affordable, entry-level option these days. I no longer even suggest/push for the bump to 16GB RAM because, that should be standard at $1,500+ and it irks me that it isn’t. So not having people pay for that BTO upgrade is my own little “f you” to Tim & Co. I do tend to suggest 512GB storage since everyone is taking tons of pics and high-res video on their phones and may want to offload some, if not all, of it over to their Mac, into Photos (like I do). 256GB may prove to be tight for the selfie-obsessed and Generation TikTok/Look-At-Me!, or those with YouTube channels, filming long segments of 4K video. I’ve got 256GB and if I was doing any serious photo, video or music work, I’d be in trouble.

All that to say, I was surprised, and not very “impressed”(?) by this new pencil. What art type is gonna want to give up pressure sensitivity? Are people gonna spend $79 to jot grocery lists and charge with a cable, or draw some bland, uniform and stupid-looking trees and foliage?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-10-17 at 23:29.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-10-18, 03:09

Selling all three is… not great, and emblematic of a messy iPad product line-up. And while this new one (which is so poorly positioned it doesn't even have a proper name) is broadly compatible with most recent iPads, it's not even compatible with the $329 9th-generation iPad they're still selling as new.

But even if the 10th generation eventually drops to $329 to replace the 9th generation… even then, they can't kill the Apple Pencil 1, because it has higher-end features than this new one.

If that problem didn't exist, they could call this new one the "Apple Pencil", and the other one ("Apple Pencil (2nd generation)" the "Apple Pencil Pro". That would make sense in terms of price tag. But, they can't, because of hardware compatibility.

Poor strategy.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-10-18, 05:00

It’s a mess. How many “tl;dr” types (Generation 140 Characters or Less, I call them) are gonna buy one, because it’s “new”, and (understandably) thinking “hey, newer versions of stuff are rarely worse/a step back than the existing, older version”, and be disappointed?

Yes, in a perfect world - where people read specs, comparison charts and strive to make informed purchasing decisions - it shouldn’t happen. But it does. We may be seeing the roll out of Apple’s most returned product ever. (except for the doofs who went for custom engraving…”for my little Picasso!”, “your art lights up my life”, “I’ll pose naked for you anytime, baby!” They’re gonna have a snazzy paperweight and expensive note-taker/list maker (“gosh, I could’ve just typed all this shit instead and saved myself $79…”).

It’s a weird product. Who, exactly was asking for this product, as designed/sold? Full-time, professional note-jotters/list-making fiends? Uniform-line-weight doodlers/police sketch artists?

“The clarity provided by robotic sameness is something you won’t find in most other competing devices. We’ve taken away that random variation that stands in the way of true creative expression. And you can charge it with all the cables you probably already have lying around.” - Tim C.

Thanks?

If you put a gun in my mouth, threatening to pull the trigger if I couldn’t recite all the current iPad and Apple Pencil compatibility specs, you’re just gonna have to paint the wall behind me, because I couldn’t do it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-10-18 at 05:19.
chucker

2023-10-18, 06:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
It’s a mess. How many “tl;dr” types (Generation 140 Characters or Less, I call them) are gonna buy one, because it’s “new”, and (understandably) thinking “hey, newer versions of stuff are rarely worse/a step back than the existing, older version”, and be disappointed?
Some, I guess. But the price tag is significantly lower (even if it's arguably still quite high), so I think in terms of "this is clearly the best", the price alone makes it clear that it's not.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-10-18, 09:35

I don’t have an iPad and I don’t “paint”, so why do I even give a rip? People are free to spend their $79 however they want. Such a thing is never my call/business. Hope t he y enjoy it, as long as they’re aware, going in, what it does, and doesn’t, do. That was really my only concern.

It just seems weird, to me, to develop/sell what is kinda a “step down/lesser” product. Like trying to get the price of the flagship iPhone down by selling a model without WiFi or a touch screen. Or camera. Are people gonna go for it?

These things were always kinda pushed for the creative types. One of these in t he hands of someone who knew what they were doing, paired with a good art/painting app, you saw some beautiful, natural media-like results (the way people draw/paint in real life, with all the subtle variations you get from adjusting your pressure and all. Taking that feature away is surely gonna surprise a buyer or three.

But there’s still plenty of room to add/remove stuff in the notebook lineup. A 12” model, smaller/lighter than all the others, and not called “Air”, etc.

Seriously was that 12” MacBook ahead of its time, having only the Intel stuff. Would such a model do better with Apple’s home-grown guts? It sure was a nice size. It was always the model I landed on/gravitated to at the store, the brief time it was in the world.