AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!
Page 22 of 25 First Previous 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-04, 21:13

FWIW, if we did want to give Overviewer a spin for the big maps, its 1.13 format support is still a little buggy (and unreleased; I had to build from a development branch here too), but at least it renders. Also, it dropped the Google Maps API in favor of Leaflet, a free open-source alternative. It zooms and pans and generally feels just like Google Maps. Switching to Leaflet gets around the un-free licensing problem that killed our last round of maps.

A screenshot of a somewhat old partial map backup without using our blessed texture/resource pack:

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-04, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I just want to say, preemptively, I'm sorry. I did go out to check if the mesas were still there. They were. I don't know why I was so concerned. I swore I wouldn't do world bloat this time around yet here I am.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-12-04, 23:00

Yeah, I've starting thinking beyond our old map developer now. With Christmas coming and all my family obligations I haven't put much into alternatives just yet. The dev said he hopes to convert from Google to Leaflet and show to to convert the old maps over as well. If so I can even restore the archives!

I won't rule out switching to Overviewer, I just like it a lot less than Tectonicus. I will say, the last time I did switch there was an issue with scripting it. I don't recall the issue at the moment, but I do recall there being one.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-12-05, 12:10

Quote:
Man that ~20 minutes that we all take to get a grip on Elytra is SO stressful... I'm just glad I was there to watch someone else doing it.

Gotta give it to arteggio though, once up and flying he was able to follow/lead like a pro.
709: "Okay, just jump and press the 'go' button."

Arteggio: "There's a 'go' button?"

Me: "It's right next to the 'stop' button."

709: "Don't listen to him. Don't EVER listen to him."

Arteggio: SPLAAAAT!

709: "You forgot to jump."

Arteggio: "So, I just jump?"

709: "Yes, and then press 'go'."

Arteggio: "Wait, I can't find this 'go' button."

709: "I mean the …"

Me: "Jump up and down, rub your belly, spin around three times, and shout 'oogablooga'."

Me: "Go to a high place. Jump off. Press 'jump'. Right click a rocket. Fly."

I wasn't watching, but it was fun to "watch". I recall having the same trouble.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
arteggio

2018-12-05, 20:15

Quote:
Man that ~20 minutes that we all take to get a grip on Elytra is SO stressful... I'm just glad I was there to watch someone else doing it.

Gotta give it to arteggio though, once up and flying he was able to follow/lead like a pro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
709: "Okay, just jump and press the 'go' button."

I wasn't watching, but it was fun to "watch". I recall having the same trouble.

Thank you for the flying lessons, 709! I'm so far removed from Minecraft advancements I wouldn't have even discovered Elytra, let alone learned how to fly it! The easiest way I found to take off and not splat is to jump into water, spread them wings, and then launch. So I may build a swimming-pool-runway at my new premises. Definitely not jumping off any mountains…
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-05, 21:14

Here's the main landmass scaled down to 25% each direction. So, at this scale, 1x1 pixel = 4x4 blocks.
(based on a backup dump I grabbed from yesterday afternoon)

The checkerboard pattern just indicates region file areas.

Ideally, one would settle in the dead center of a region, making it easier to decide what regions to save when we prune.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
arteggio

2018-12-06, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Here's the main landmass scaled down to 25% each direction. So, at this scale, 1x1 pixel = 4x4 blocks.
(based on a backup dump I grabbed from yesterday afternoon)
Thanks a ton for the map!!

Quote:
Ideally, one would settle in the dead center of a region, making it easier to decide what regions to save when we prune.
People…
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-11, 21:18

JFYI, I uploaded a much higher-quality image of most of our world with a 1:1 ratio of pixels to blocks:

https://i.imgur.com/TRPpoKJ.jpg
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-08-05, 21:01

I'm just gonna leave this right here…

https://applenova.com/mcmaps/

…and say it maybe updates about once an hour.

No promises.

Hopefully you won't even notice it run, turtle. CPU and bandwidth should be pretty low because this tool only attempts redraw if the region has actually been updated since last draw, and the whole generated output is (as of now) only a whopping 13 MB.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-05, 23:23

I'm a bit troubled by the perfect symmetry of torches around the museum. I think Grey may need some intervention.

Block rendering seems a bit off, but at least it's something. Thanks for doing that.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Dr. Bobsky

2019-08-06, 02:54

I think the torches are fine. What I worry about is the fact that mothra has no natural enemy in the world.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-06, 07:31

Neat! Thanks Brad. I still have the VM sitting idle for the old maps. I just haven't stopped to figure out a new method since my old developer stopped playing and with that left the maps generally untouched.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-06, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
I think the torches are fine. What I worry about is the fact that mothra has no natural enemy in the world.
Hey, Gojirra has his feet firmly planted on the ground!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-08-06, 15:59

Quote:
I'm a bit troubled by the perfect symmetry of torches around the museum. I think Grey may need some intervention.
Anyone who doesn't implement perfect symmetry of torches needs some intervention. I'm not crazy; you're crazy!!

Quote:
Block rendering seems a bit off, but at least it's something.
Unfortunately, the program I'm using doesn't have colors implemented for all block types, and double-unfortunately it's a closed-source binary. So, I can't just make the changes myself. Triple-unfortunately, there are not many map-generating tools that even support 1.14, and this is the only one I got working reliably and consistently.

Quote:
Thanks for doing that.
Cheers!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-06, 16:10

Quote:
Anyone who doesn't implement perfect symmetry of torches needs some intervention. I'm not crazy; you're crazy!!
I refuse to comply! I will not be assimilated.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-08-06, 17:20

Speaking of perfect symmetry, the middle of the skyranch is ruined.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-06, 23:01

I would consider that a wonderful design change, considering.
¡Damned!

2019-08-07, 07:42

Gah. You know I had to run out there this morning before work and fix it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-07, 10:46

¡Damned!

2019-08-07, 21:14

Quote:
…and say it maybe updates about once an hour.

No promises.
It updates pretty quickly, really. Nice to have an overhead again!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-07, 23:03

Quote:
Gah. You know I had to run out there this morning before work and fix it.
Quote:
You know, I kind of liked it a bit messed up. Reminds me of Bruce. He's a good guy, you know. But, buried in there somewhere is a loose screw, and that's what makes Bruce … Bruce!

Aaaaand it also looks like a pair of tighty-whities!

Or, maybe those are granny-panties.

Captain Underpants!!!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-08-08, 22:41

No 3D mode??

WEAK

Dr. Bobsky

2019-08-09, 04:30

Quote:
You know, I kind of liked it a bit messed up. Reminds me of Bruce. He's a good guy, you know. But, buried in there somewhere is a loose screw, and that's what makes Bruce … Bruce!

Aaaaand it also looks like a pair of tighty-whities!

Or, maybe those are granny-panties.

Captain Underpants!!!
I will have you know there aren't just a few loose screws.

Also: tighty-whities are uncomfortable.
Dr. Bobsky

2019-08-09, 04:32

Does this mean the Skyranch has a new purpose?

I hope so... I didn't do that Perlin noise generated terrain for no reason...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-03-29, 16:16

So, I’ve joined another server as well in this age of staying home at all times.

They’re running Dynmap, which updates *live* including showing player locations. It seems like magic. I can keep it open in the browser on my second screen.

Not knowing the deep and technical details of all this - is this something we could possibly use? I’m assuming it requires a Bukkit install to enable.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-29, 16:22

Since it looks like the old map rendering software I was using is no longer being updated for the current version of MC I'm likely going to try to switch to Overviewer instead. Looking at Dynmap it would require something other than vanilla and I'm not ready to take on that maintenance right now.

As it is, maps are going to have to hold until early May at the soonest thanks to things going on in my family (not COVID-19). I'll share more about those changes when the time comes though.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-07, 09:13

Code:
FindChangedTiles took: 118.741 seconds Render Base Tiles Base render is at zoom 23 with 512x512 tiles Rendering tile @ 125,62 (tile 752 of 92234)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-07, 09:33

Impressive?

¡Damned!

2020-10-07, 14:36

Oooh are we getting maps back? That's a nice treat!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-07, 14:37

Yes, there are some bugs being worked through right now but I'm working with the developer to get them resolved. Hopefully I'll have maps up again by the end of the week. They might not be automated, but they should be something.