Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Sweet, my G5 is dead.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sweet, my G5 is dead.
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2005-02-23, 09:33

I installed the security update, that went fine. I rebooted, fine. I decided to shut down for a bit to let the system cool off.

Not fine.

After that I got the ? folder on boot, I pop in my System test CD, not recognized.

I shut down, restart, hold C on keyboard. Nothing.

Ok ok, let's try the option key, see if it lists anything. Nadda.

So the PC user in me decide, "Hey, let's unplug the stuff I added, go with the basics and see if it works."

So I open the case, I go to unplug my secondary storage drive. Hmm, this is pretty tight. So I pull... ahh finally. Now for the big connector... oh shit.

For some reason the small data plug decided to keep a piece of the harddrive for itself. The pins are exposed, the plug has the little plastic piece, but hey it fits still, so no biggie. Except the system still won't boot.

To make matters worse I can't even call Apple right now because my phone is dead so it has to recharge. Till then, I'm here twidling my thumbs wondering wtf is wrong with this.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-23, 09:39

OH NOES!!! what will happen to your 24hr/pnts daily average?!?

That sucks tho... if it won't boot off a CD then something is hosed...
you could try www.apple.com/support to "chat" with a live agent while the phone charges. (You don't have an "emergency" corded phone?! I'd get on that if I was you!!)

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
HHogan

2005-02-23, 09:44

I don't have an outlet in the computer room and undoubtedly, they'll want to try to fix it on the phone.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-02-23, 10:15

Hmmm. I also noticed some strange behavior from my G5 but since 10.3.8. It's been on ever since.

Come to think of it, I did have a little hiccup yesterday. I restarted my computer after the last security update and the screen didn't turn on. (I have a simple light mod in my G5 so I know it is powered up.) I held down the power button to force a restart, waited 15 seconds, and then everything worked as normal.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-02-23, 10:54

Of course if your G5 committed suicide...should we really feel sorry for you, or should we call the G5 a coward and be callously angry?

Sucks dude. You might want to try booting from a firewire device to see if you can at least get that to work.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
HHogan

2005-02-23, 10:57

Apple tried a PMU reset, and it didn't help. I got a case # and has to be taken in for service.

You bums got an oppurtunity to gain on me until it comes back
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-02-23, 11:54

There was indication in another thread that an unusual number of iMac G5’s have had to be taken back by Apple for service. This is somewhat disturbing, since I intend to buy one very soon. It might be another reason to wait for rev. b. Some had speculated that rev. b would be announced today, together with the iPod revisions. That has not happened. My gut feeling is that it will be another few months, at least.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-02-23, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
OH NOES!!! what will happen to your 24hr/pnts daily average?!?

LoL, I'd call you a spec whore, but somehow "folding-whore" sounds so much better.
HHogan

2005-02-24, 01:27

Upgraded my ATI Rage 128 Pro in my Dual G4 500 today, got an OEM Geforce2MX with 64mb twinview to replace it.

It makes a world of difference on the UI. Too bad I didn't do this first before spending $5000+ on a G5
Wraven

2005-02-24, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHogan
Upgraded my ATI Rage 128 Pro in my Dual G4 500 today, got an OEM Geforce2MX with 64mb twinview to replace it.

It makes a world of difference on the UI. Too bad I didn't do this first before spending $5000+ on a G5
Whoah - what the hell did you put in your G5 to make it $5000? Just curious. Sounds like it will be a sweet machine though, once it is fixed.
HHogan

2005-02-24, 09:39

Remember I'm Canadian, so that's a big part of it. Also did a healthy BTO with additional orders placed afterwards for it.

Order from Apple was (non-stock stuff):
1 gig ram
6800 Ultra DDL
250 gig HD
AE
B/t module, keyboard, mouse

which puts it to about $4900 cdn

then I ordered the 74 gig Raptor drive for my system disk (10k rpms)

and an additional 3 gigs from Crucial.

All-in-all, it was way over $5000
sith_lord

2005-02-24, 10:17

post pics of your setup when u get it all back in running order
HHogan

2005-02-24, 10:30

I posted it in another thread:

But a few days after I wasn't happy with the Monsoon speakers, so I moved them to the PC and picked up a full home theatre system from Samsung for the G5. Hook it up using the optical out. Shot of that desk only:

Wraven

2005-02-24, 10:58

HHogan,
I like your setup. For what purposes do you use these computers again? Just curious.
HHogan

2005-02-24, 11:03

The Toshiba P20 (international model only) 17" is my daily system, I'm on it all the time and use it for basically everything.

The PC is my file server mostly, over a TB inside of it.

the Dual G4 500 = my f@h client, haven't really figured out a use for it since I got my G5, same with the Dual 450.

HP TC1100 Tablet: I use that to doodle, can't really do anything else with it. I think the RAM is somewhat bad, but it's soldered on and I don't have warranty on it anymore. Pretty shitty considering it was $3000

G5 = audio/video stuff mainly.
stephanb

2005-02-24, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraven
HHogan,
I like your setup. For what purposes do you use these computers again? Just curious.
Purpose? Do you need a purpose? I don't have a purpose, so why should my computer...