AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Online Portfolio Sites or Templates?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Online Portfolio Sites or Templates?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-01-23, 00:15

The construction industry around here isn't doing so well, but I hate my job enough to look for new work anyway. If things don't pick up soon, I may be looking for a new job regardless. So I am getting my resume together and updating my print portfolio layouts, which are easy enough for me. I've done this a few times now. But whereas I used to leave a CD with a PDF and Quicktime slideshow of my portfolio, it's time forme to put my work online and format it there.

My needs are simple. I have 9 architectural projects with multiple images for each. I don't really need or necesarily want Flash, though simple elegant transitions between slides, etc. would be good. Good layout and navigation are musts. Privacy is paramount. I can neither let my current employer see the content of the site, nor can I broadcast the images that I may have per fair use, but others may not have the opportunity to Google these things and copy them willy-nilly.

I own a domain, joeldabrowski.com that I bought from GoDaddy. It currently forwards to a MobileMe Gallery with nothing on it. MobileMe could work but I am without a Mac right now so I can't password protect the albums without iPhoto. this is also why I can't just whip up an iWeb site layout. I have a Flickr account but as far as I can tell, I can't find the means to secure it the way I'd like either.

Can anyone recommend either a host site for my needs, or even a web template that I can try to use (I'm not at all savvy with web layout)? Cheap is good, and a one-time cost would be fine if I can just host the template on GoDaddy which is already paid for. Thanks for the help! I'll be sure to post progress in whatever avenue I take.

Cheers,

Joel
Iago

2010-01-23, 06:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
The construction industry around here isn't doing so well, but I hate my job enough to look for new work anyway. If things don't pick up soon, I may be looking for a new job regardless. So I am getting my resume together and updating my print portfolio layouts, which are easy enough for me. I've done this a few times now. But whereas I used to leave a CD with a PDF and Quicktime slideshow of my portfolio, it's time forme to put my work online and format it there.

My needs are simple. I have 9 architectural projects with multiple images for each. I don't really need or necesarily want Flash, though simple elegant transitions between slides, etc. would be good. Good layout and navigation are musts. Privacy is paramount. I can neither let my current employer see the content of the site, nor can I broadcast the images that I may have per fair use, but others may not have the opportunity to Google these things and copy them willy-nilly.

I own a domain, joeldabrowski.com that I bought from GoDaddy. It currently forwards to a MobileMe Gallery with nothing on it. MobileMe could work but I am without a Mac right now so I can't password protect the albums without iPhoto. this is also why I can't just whip up an iWeb site layout. I have a Flickr account but as far as I can tell, I can't find the means to secure it the way I'd like either.

Can anyone recommend either a host site for my needs, or even a web template that I can try to use (I'm not at all savvy with web layout)? Cheap is good, and a one-time cost would be fine if I can just host the template on GoDaddy which is already paid for. Thanks for the help! I'll be sure to post progress in whatever avenue I take.
Sorry to hear things aren't going so well. What you're doing seems really smart; I'm always a sucker for not planning ahead!

A DeviantArt Premium Portfolio will work for you, I think. You can repoint your domain at it, and it has a password option. You can store a mix of images and movies, and there are several layouts to choose from. It doesn't have any branding to indicate that you're using DA. Check it out. Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-01-23, 13:41

Good suggestion! I didn't know Deviant Art had this kind of thing.

I have to start early on these things because it takes me forever to get stuff together. I've laid out my hard copy portfolio which is always more didactic, and I've created some extra work for myself with sketches and drawings I need. If I wait, that's three weeks of pulling stuff together before I can even send out resumes!