User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iWork 2012
surjones

2012-01-11, 12:03

Been basically 3rd year and no update. So what's to come from this bundle? Or do you think that google has made iWork extinct?

If it did get an 2012 update I really don't know what I would want or need.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-01-11, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjones View Post
Been basically 3rd year and no update.
Lion brought an update with Auto-Save, Versions and such, but yeah.

Quote:
So what's to come from this bundle? Or do you think that google has made iWork extinct?
Not at all. If they hadn't done the Lion update, I'd speculate that they're now entirely focused on iWork for iOS, but apparently it's merely a higher priority, and another major Mac release is yet to come.

Quote:
If it did get an 2012 update I really don't know what I would want or need.
Speed. Numbers is ridiculously slow.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2012-01-11, 13:51

I wonder... could this be a part of the education announcement?
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-01-11, 13:57

I haven't really used Numbers or Keynote enough to have a detailed opinion about them, but regarding Pagers I have some opinions:

Speed is fine, but it takes some time to load large Word files.

Speaking of Word, compatibility needs to be improved to near perfection. It's not that it's bad, but when using Pages for work then it's just not good enough. It's not feasible to work on a document at home and then continue to work on it at work because the formatting has been spoiled. I'm fully aware that the .docx format isn't perfect, but it is the reality that Pages has to live under. Thus Pages need to be able to import from, edit and export to Word without any flaws. Ideally, the whole import-export process should be replaced by editing inside the Word format, because features in Word like cross-references gets purged when importing to Pages.

Speaking of cross-referencing, it would also be nice to see that feature in Pages.Another feature from Word that I would like to see in Pages is the ability to compare to documents and have the differences highlighted. It's a really useful feature for us legal beagles.

Use interface-wise I would like to see the inspector interface thrown out and replaced with something else. I'm not quite sure what, but I'm never going to get used to the inspectors. Maybe we should just rely entirely on drop down menus from the menu bar?

Finally, I think that Apple needs to do some hard thinking regarding the "no user exposed file system" thing if they are serious about it. If they want to implement it in 10.8, then perhaps it would be wise to try it out on a smaller scale before that. In iWork for example.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-11, 18:30

I'm curious as to how Apple will handle iLife and iWork updates now that they're in the Mac App Store. Will existing users get the updates for free? Or will Apple list them as a new "2012" app or whatever? (Notably, the current iLife/iWork apps in the App Store lack years in their titles.)

iWork for Mac is due for an update. I get that the iWork team made iWork for iPad in 2010 and iWork for iPhone/iPod in 2011, but I really hope they go "back to the Mac" this year.

Anyway, I certainly don't think Google has made iWork extinct. Google Docs sucks, and the iWork apps are, what fifteen dollars? It's crazy. iWork's in the best position it's ever been, IMO, as Microsoft's Office group continues to ignore the iPad.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-01-11, 20:14

I love iWork. Pages, anyway (don't have much use for presentation or spreadsheet stuff at this time). But every time I use Pages, it hits me just how nice it is (and could still be). I've not launched InDesign in ages (and if I never do again, that's okay).

I actually put Pages on my iPhone a couple of weeks ago, so it's great too.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-01-11, 22:53

Agreed, Pages is awesome. It's sort of like a Microsoft Publisher in that it's easy to use, but has much higher quality output.
greyhound

2012-01-13, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post

Speaking of Word, compatibility needs to be improved to near perfection. It's not that it's bad, but when using Pages for work then it's just not good enough. It's not feasible to work on a document at home and then continue to work on it at work because the formatting has been spoiled. I'm fully aware that the .docx format isn't perfect, but it is the reality that Pages has to live under. Thus Pages need to be able to import from, edit and export to Word without any flaws. Ideally, the whole import-export process should be replaced by editing inside the Word format, because features in Word like cross-references gets purged when importing to Pages.
I totaly agree. Until they introduced word2011 Pages was just so much better. Bad for you you still couldn't use it for work since the compatibility would screw everything up.
Now I am just going with Office for the time being, no real alternative, hope iWork will change that with an update.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-01-13, 22:07

Was thinking this could be part of EDU announcement and that an ePub app or "module" inside of Pages might be a possibility for creating content. They've only done a bare minimum on that so far. Would make sense to tout some new capabilities by improving authoring options, making more visible.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2012-01-15, 01:29

It's much worse than just iWork. Though it's probably the biggest missing piece of the puzzle.

Filemaker is way overdue for an update, which is odd since version 11 was rewritten in Cocoa. New versions should be faster to code now, not slower.

We haven't had a new iApp on the Mac since, what? I can't even remember what the last all-new iApp was.

FCP was released with a giant thud, and while I don't use the sound apps, I don't think Logic and Friends have been updated for awhile either.

Software development within Apple has clearly shifted to iOS. That seems like a problem for those of us running businesses on the Mac.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-01-15, 01:33

Since Apple considers that we are in the "post PC" era, it's no wonder they are putting their effort elsewhere. It is sad to see the high end apps fall of the radar though. I guess it is good news for third party developers though, more opportunity for them to pickup where Apple left off.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-01-16, 08:38

I know a number of people who were really, really happy about the app. store release of FCP, but otherwise totally agree.

I'm holding off for the next version of iWork, then will buy via the app. store for all my machines. Hurry up!

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-01-16, 18:00

Frank: Filemaker isn't made by Apple. I don't know how the whole ownership thing ultimately played out but it's a separate development company and has been for a while AFAIK.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2012-01-17, 00:08

Yeah, but it remains a subsidiary of Apple. And it's used by platform pros.

So in discussing Mac business software gone MIA, you kinda have to mention it.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-01-17, 13:59

In that case I'll kinda accept your mentioning... but only kinda.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2012-01-17, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
In that case I'll kinda accept your mentioning... but only kinda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
Agreed, Pages is awesome. It's sort of like a Microsoft Publisher in that it's easy to use, but has much higher quality output.
Random guessing would seem to lead to the idea that Apple's textbook-making software would be a marriage of Pages and iWeb.

Which leads to the inevitable question: Will it be an free iApp or an iWork app?

Apple tends to charge for all business oriented software, no? Even if it sells a kajillion iPads into schools?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-01-18, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post

Speed. Numbers is ridiculously slow.
Man, I second this. I use Numbers a lot, but it is ridiculously slow.