User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

No Flash Player in PPC Linux. ugh

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
No Flash Player in PPC Linux. ugh
Legodude522

Send a message via ICQ to Legodude522 Send a message via AIM to Legodude522 Send a message via MSN to Legodude522 Send a message via Yahoo to Legodude522 Send a message via Skype™ to Legodude522 
2005-09-18, 12:51

Macromedia Flash Player is not avaliable to Linux on the Power PC platform for no apparent reason. I just installed Ubutnu on my iBook and loving it. But I can't vist a lot of the websites I go to now because there is no Flash. Macromedia Flash What BS this is.

14" Apple iBook 1.42ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb 7200rpm HDD. 2ghz AMD Athlon 64 3200+.
Palm m125 > Palm Zire 71 > Tapwave Zodiac 1 > Palm Zire 72 > Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 -> Palm Tungsten T|3
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-18, 13:38

The "BS" is that no commercial operation in their right mind is going to cater a free product like the Flash Player to PPC Linux users.

About the only PPC platform is Apple's computers. They make up about 5% of the market if you're being generous. Then, only a tiny minority of those users are going to replace Mac OS X with Linux. Again, let's say it's 1% and that's being very generous too. So, that makes the PPC Linux market about 0.05% at best. Furthermore, these users aren't customers. There's no Macromedia Studio for PPC Linux. There's no Dreamweaver or Director or FreeHand for PPC Linux. So, there would be absolutely no monetary return on investing in a free PPC Linux Flash plugin.

Would you want to invest money in developing and supporting software on a platform that consists of a twentieth of a percent of the overall market and that will never buy any of your products?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-18, 18:26

Looks like you didn't do the research you needed to do before getting into Linux.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-18, 18:34

So, torifile, I'm wondering if it's too early to start saying, "I told you so!" What do you think?
Legodude522

Send a message via ICQ to Legodude522 Send a message via AIM to Legodude522 Send a message via MSN to Legodude522 Send a message via Yahoo to Legodude522 Send a message via Skype™ to Legodude522 
2005-09-18, 21:39

I use Linux on PCs and have Flash player. But they don't have it for PPC which I feel is rediculus.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-18, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
So, torifile, I'm wondering if it's too early to start saying, "I told you so!" What do you think?
It's NEVER too early to gloat.

I TOLD YOU SO!!!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-09-18, 22:02

That thread title should have been "Linux on the Desktop. ugh".
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-09-18, 22:14

Actually, can an admin change the title to "No Flash player in PPC Linux." please?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-18, 22:24

Aye! Done!
Legodude522

2005-09-18, 22:24

The only way to learn is to experience it yourself.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-09-19, 01:07

To experience yourself, The only wat to learn is.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-09-19, 04:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legodude522
The only way to learn is to experience it yourself.
Nah. Normal people learn from their mistakes. Stupid people do not learn from their mistakes. Wise people learn from other people's mistakes.

Brad, what difference does it make whether Macromedia offers authoring products for the platform? The authors will still want to reach everyone regardless of platform, so the existence of PPC Linux port for Flash Player is an incentive to buy Flash studio for Windows.
(Of course it's about marketshare and I agree PPC Linux surely doesn't have enough to make a port cost effective.)
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-09-19, 05:23

God you guys are bitches.

There's always GPLFlash. You'll probably want to build v.2 from CVS in order to get any appearance of compatibility with flash content using versions of Flash newer than five years old.