Truely Mobile Gmail

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Truely Mobile Gmail
Fooboy

2005-12-16, 08:08

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/about_whatsnew.html

Quote:
Gmail Mobile
Now you can access your Gmail account from your mobile phone or device. Just point your phone's web browser to http://m.gmail.com. Your Gmail account stays synched, whether you access it from the web or the mobile interface. It's easy to use and it's free (but yes, your wireless plan could still charge you).

It also has these cool features:
• Automatically optimizes the interface for the phone you're using
• Opens the attachments you receive in messages, including photos, Microsoft Word documents and .pdf files
• Lets you reply by call to people whose phone numbers are in your Gmail Contacts list
This is a quietly released, but awesome feature. In the past, you could have gmail only forward your emails to your phone via text messages (which was usually 10 cents per message depending on your plan and carrier), and a 3rd party program was made a while ago which let you access your gmail account on your cell phone if you had your own .php server ... but finally GOOGLE supports accessing your entire inbox via http://m.gmail.com

Yes, Google offers it free ... but most likely you will pay for the bandwidth you use. For my cingular plan its 1 cent per 1024 bytes (or 1 kilobyte). In my tests I can get in, shoot off a few emails, and it only cost me a little over 10 cents to 20 cents depending on how long they were. Still way better than stupid SMS forwarding for 10 cents a pop.

I didn't see any other threads on this so I thought I would share.

Peace,

Foo
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-12-16, 10:31

Ooo! Sweetness!

That'll make sidekick even better for me.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-12-16, 10:47

Thanks for the heads-up. Orange gives me unlimited [very slow] internet for £4/month and I was always annoyed I couldn't check my Gmail account with it.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2005-12-16, 21:30

Sweet...
Thank you!
Fooboy

2005-12-17, 22:40

You're welcome ... alas, I am just a messenger.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-12-18, 14:24

A good post, Fooboy, thanks. Checking Gmail is about the only surfing I would want to do with my mobile.
pkatzman
Formerly "djfusion"

Send a message via AIM to pkatzman Send a message via Yahoo to pkatzman Send a message via Skype™ to pkatzman 
2005-12-18, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Ooo! Sweetness!

That'll make sidekick even better for me.
If you have a Sidekick, you can just browse the normal HTML version of Gmail. You won't need this one (the WAP, text-only version)
Fooboy

2005-12-21, 14:17

I need them to add my Motorola v557 so it will work ... right now it doesnt.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-12-21, 14:49

dijfusion-

No. Gmail just doesn't load at all on Sidekick. I assume it's simply too much codes even in HTML only. Hotmail is marginal and only if you have a strong reception.

Hence, a text only a good thing.
tannenhauser

2005-12-23, 13:49

do you get access to you contacs on the mobile version of this gmail?