User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Second Life
Mikester

2006-09-13, 04:31

Not sure where this thread should go, so please move it if it is in the wrong place.

I have started to play Second Life and really enjoy it. However, I don't think my computer (G4 iBook) is up to the task - graphics aren't great and it runs really slowly/"stuttering". I am running broadband through a wireless router.

Any way I can improve this or will I need a better computer? Any suggestions? Do the new iMacs have good enough graphics cards to run stuff like this or would I need a dedicated gaming machine like those from Alienware?

"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further" - The Great Gatsby
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-09-13, 05:11

A MacBook Pro might be nice.
Mikester

2006-09-13, 05:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakbyrd View Post
A MacBook Pro might be nice.
So a MBP would been able to deal with the graphics? I though laptops never had decent graphics cards...?
neiltc13

2006-09-13, 05:44

MacBook Pro has a very capable graphics chip. It's the same one that's included in the 17" and 20" iMac and will cope with Second Life very well.

MacBook would be a different story though.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-09-14, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
So a MBP would been able to deal with the graphics? I though laptops never had decent graphics cards...?
Laptops never have the best GPU's, true, but they can still have good ones. Especially when you're dropping 2k + on one.

Second life isn't particularly demanding. You might even be able to get away with it on a MacBook, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-09-14, 13:35

I played Second Life briefly on MacBook Pro - I spent about an hour getting it all setup and running. It played Windowed very well but I don't think the app is native, and it shows. I'd give it 6/10 performance-wise: was a cool 30FPS consistently, but no more, and it had slight slow down in areas with a lot of detailed models.
almost2mac

2006-09-14, 16:32

I play SL, and I've tried the mac version. I prefer to play in XP through bootcamp on my 17" first gen intel imac, better textures.