MC: Applenova 1.6: With a Vengeance!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Applenova 1.6: With a Vengeance!
Page 1 of 8 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-04, 14:36

The world is live and here to stay! Thankfully my property stayed untouched from the server saving bug. I noticed 709's being wiped out and back to the base seed. I also saw it did a scheduled backup and all looked well for it at the 1450 backup. So I do hope this was just an oddity.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-04, 22:57

So if you were wondering about the lighting bug:

Notice the blackness in the block NEXT to the torch. After I took this shot, that cow walked through the shadows and turned the same blackness it would in night without torches. Oh well.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-04, 23:13

I'm pretty sure this is the same bug that plagued the top of the hotel/post office with hostiles back in Cactuar. I think it was introduced with the "anvil" chunk format that broke up the vertical column chunks into shallower sections.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-05, 15:48

Thanks for kicking off the new thread, turtle. I'll update the sticky thread and other "readme" pages later tonight with the correct server information.

Now that we're back on the "vanilla" Minecraft, I'm able to use Bukkit as the back-end server. This means that we once again have access to a bunch of neat commands that are offered by various Bukkit plugins.

The next time you're online, check out /help to see a list of some commands. Most notably, I've installed the Essentials plugin (see command reference) that provides some interesting commands like:
  • /back takes you back to where you died so you can try to fetch your loot
  • /afk toggles the AFK display (but it doesn't act like you're asleep like the other AFK we used to have)
  • /getpos tells you where you or another player is
  • /time tells you the in-world time; handy so you don't have to keep a watch/clock around while mining
  • /mail allows you to send messages to players even if they're offline
  • /sethome and /home allow you to set a home for warping and go to it (note: I haven't tested this)

There are a lot more cheat commands that Essentials offers that I'll be turning off once I get proper permissions set up on the server. We're running a pretty basic setup right now just so I could get things started. Please be a good citizen and try to resist the temptation to cheat until I get them locked down.

Essentials also includes a basic set of economy commands that creates an in-game currency. For any item, you can try /worth to see how much the server thinks it's worth. You can use /balance to see how much your bank account has. When you /sell an item, the server takes it from you and deposits the appropriate amount of money into your bank account. Your bank account stays around even when you die and respawn. Once you have money in your account, you can /pay another player for goods, services, etc. Another use of the economy that I haven't yet tinkered with is paid server services. For instance, maybe we enable arbitrary warping, but you have to pay something like a $10 toll each time you warp? Or maybe enable a command to repair your current tool and charge $50 per use? I'll think about ways to enable the economy commands that might make things interesting.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-07-05, 16:09

Lava + /back = hilarity.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-05, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Lava + /back = hilarity.

"Just one more time! I think I can jump out fast enough! This time with more armor!"
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-05, 22:34

So guess what?

It's back!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-06, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Lava + /back = hilarity.
So, I tried this out last night on my local test server, and it's not as bad as you might guess! When I used /back after stepping into a lava pool, it put me back *outside* of the pool just before where I stepped in. My stuff was gone, of course, but I was able to continue wandering around.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-06, 18:15

I found a swamp shack while I was out adventuring earlier today. I did post coordinates on a sign so we can all find it again after the map updates later this evening.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-07, 12:43

Now that I've had some time to experiment and configure, lets talk Bukkit commands!

I've installed a few plugins to keep things interesting. Just as before, I may add more if I find some that I think we'd enjoy. Maybe we'll add warping or multiple worlds. We'll see. Here's a summary of what we have today:
  • Essentials (Core) is a mixed bag of utility commands.
    • /hat lets you wear a fancy hat.
    • /time gives you the in-game world time so you don't have to carry a watch.
    • /afk toggles your AFK display. Unfortunately, this does not simulate being in bed like it used to.
    • /compass tells you which way you're facing.
    • /depth tells you how deep you are in the world.
    • /getpos tells you where you are in the world.
    • /help lists the commands available to you.
    • /mail lets you send and read mail. You can send messages to people offline using mail.
    • /msg <player> <message> (or /tell, /m, /t, or /whisper) sends a private message to another player.
    • /r <message> (or /reply) replies to the last person who sent you a private message.
    • /nick <name> lets you give yourself a nickname. Nicknames are always preceded by ~ when displayed.
    • /realname <nickname> lets you see the real name of someone from their nickname.
    • /suicide kills you.
    • /back warps you back to where you last died. Good for fetching your loot or exacting vengeance on your killer.
  • Essentials (Economy) provides a basic economy if we want to have one. We can also set up ways to *buy* items from the server (think rarities like glowstone or quartz), but we'll deal with that later.
    • /balance or /bal shows your server-wide bank account balance.
    • /worth shows how much the item in your hand is worth if you were to sell it to the server.
    • /sell <item> <amount> sells items from your inventory back to the server for a cash deposit into your account.
    • /repair repairs the item in your hand in exchange for a flat $100 (regardless of item type or damage amount) from your bank account.
  • LWC lets you protect your things so no one else can go through them. Protected chests and doors have the added benefit of being indestructible by anyone but you.
    • /cprivate locks a chest or door so only you can open it.
    • /cpassword <password> sets a password lock on a chest or door that must be entered to open it.
    • /cpublic sets a permission on a chest or door so anyone can open it and no one can use /cprivate or /cpassword on it, effectively identifying it as a shared/community resource
    • /cremove removes one of the above protection types if you have access to it.
    • /climits shows you how many protections you have left.
  • WorldEdit has a bunch of creative-style commands, but I'm only exposing these two to repair damage.
    • /fixwater <radius> fixes water flows in the radius around you. Good for patching surface currents over deep water.
    • /fixlava <radius> fixes lava flows the same way.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-07-07, 13:55

Note: the fixlava and fixwater commands are also very useful in making pools of the liquids from a single source... (which in a way is infinite fuel)...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-07, 22:57

Hooo boy. Much fun was had (ab)using the /nick command tonight. Here's a brief snippet from the logs...

Quote:
<~KyleReese> nice!
<Atariboy> what the heck?
<SpecMode> . . .

OwenReese issued server command: /nick Brad

<~Brad> wooooo
sassyreese tried to swim in lava to escape Creeper
<SpecMode> uh oh
<~Brad> my nick name is brad brad
<SpecMode> uh oh....
<sassyreese> kill me atariboy
<Atariboy> you sure?
<~BadBrad>
<sassyreese> yes
<~GoodBrad> lol
<sassyreese> thanks
<~RainbowDash> oo
<sassyreese> ok kids, gotta go. it's been fun
<~PiecesReese> later!
<turtle2472> Night!
<~GoodBrad> LOL!
<SpecMode> later!
<~GoodBrad> night!
sassyreese left the game.
<~RainbowDash> did someone call me rainbow dash who
<SpecMode> bwahaha
<Atariboy> what th e heck?
<Atariboy> DASHIE!
<~Applejack> mean
<Atariboy> oh wow
<Atariboy> this is awesome LOL
<~Fluttershy> no its not you mean
<Atariboy> Owen? is that you?
<~PinkiePie> why
<Atariboy> oh gawd
<OwenReese> what
<~GReese> back to the mineshat to look for melon seeds
<SpecMode> ?
<BradSmith> lol
<BradSmith> greese? LOL
<~GReese>
<Atariboy> bathtime for you, kiddo. let's go
<BradSmith> awww man
<BradSmith> do I have to?
<OwenReese> at 10 10
<SpecMode> lol
<turtle2472> Night!
<SpecMode> g'night!
<BradSmith> night!
<OwenReese> night
<Atariboy> gnight y'all
<~GReese> night!
<Atariboy> owen says good night everybody. LOL
<~ReeseLightning> night Owen!
The lesson learned tonight is that if you try to impersonate an admin, you may turn into a brony.

(Also, Atariboy and sassyreese are OwenReese's dad and mom respectively.)

Atariboy

2013-07-08, 14:08

Owen said you're a big meanie, brad, and if he could, he'd lead a hundred creepers to your house. He kids, of course. He knows what happens when he breaks stuff.

So- what' the consensus? I've kinda let him do his own thing- I know he's shading Spec pretty closely, but is he behaving himself and being a "fine guy" and not a "mad guy"?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-08, 15:07

He's kinda needy, but otherwise he's behaving and being a "fine guy". He certainly doesn't appear to be breaking anything, at least not deliberately! (cue creeper hiss)

OwenReese

2013-07-08, 18:03

can you download the 1.6.2 version please and i want to play on the new world and can you let me in there!
OwenReese

2013-07-08, 18:04

please
OwenReese

2013-07-08, 18:23

when are you going to download the 1.6.2 map description and Brad you be nice and not call me girls and stop calling me girls and you can call me boys that i like!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-08, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
He's kinda needy,
wat
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-08, 18:56

when are you going to update the 1.6.2a map metadata and Brad you be a prince and not talk about poop anymore and stop calling 709 a doodyhead and call Rowdy a leatherbar owner, he likes that.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2013-07-08, 18:56

Oh yeah, as an FYI the default profile on the new launcher auto updates.

If you go to "edit profile" you can select from a pull down menu to release 1.6.1.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
OwenReese

2013-07-08, 19:26

oi Hi guys can you join the game please now and i want Brad to make something brad would you please!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-08, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Oh yeah, as an FYI the default profile on the new launcher auto updates.

If you go to "edit profile" you can select from a pull down menu to release 1.6.1.
Yep, this is going to be required for a few days until Bukkit updates. No real loss. AFAICT, 1.6.2 is mostly minor bug fixes.

I'll post when we're ready to go to 1.6.2.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-08, 23:57

Well, it looks like a 1.6.2 dev build landed an hour ago. I'll check it out tomorrow night.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-07-08, 23:58

But..but...I need hay bales.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-09, 06:02

You should already be able to make hay bales. You'll just be stuck with them and unable to break them back into wheat.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-09, 07:40

For some reason I wasn't able to get on this morning. The server is up, but it won't let me connect for some reason. I'm off to work now but did notice this. I tried a MC restart too, but it did nothing other than add some log entries.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-07-09, 12:58

Owen, you have a remarkably eccentric vocabulary.

I think I might just try to build everything out of Obsidian...
Atariboy

2013-07-10, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Owen, you have a remarkably eccentric vocabulary.

I think I might just try to build everything out of Obsidian...
I'll try to keep him off the forums- sorry for the interruption
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-10, 14:28

Might want to tell him to stop building tard towers noob towers everywhere. If he logs out on top of one of those, he may fall to his death because I'm nuking them on sight.

Atariboy

2013-07-10, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Might want to tell him to stop building tard towers noob towers everywhere. If he logs out on top of one of those, he may fall to his death because I'm nuking them on sight.
Yep- his mom was yelling at him about that last night. I'll give him a pick and send him off to do the right thing. I sent him on a wood harvesting errand last night to keep him busy.