User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

First Gen "Hyundai-Pod Nano" Asplode (Recall)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
First Gen "Hyundai-Pod Nano" Asplode (Recall)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-07-09, 18:45

Seems the first generation of Nanos sold in S. Korea have some type of defect that has been causing them overheat and asplode. Apparently some Honda-pod Nanos had the same problem at one point. I blame the high humidity and wasabe.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/09/...n-south-korea/

APPL iz DOOMED.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-07-09, 19:26

Hondas and Hyundais are nothing. Now they're torching Saabs, too.

The iPod menace must be stopped.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-07-09, 19:34

Damn!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-07-10, 09:07

Wouldn't it be Kim-chi in S Korea though?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-07-10, 09:23

Wow...first-gen iPod nanos (from 2005-2006)? That's a long time ago. And only four instances?

Why don't these people buy a new damn iPod?

j/k (kinda)

I know companies have to watch their butts, but that sure seems like such a big workaround or action for something so old, and with incidents so rare and isolated.

Can I get my Quadra 610 replaced because it discolored a bit after 15 years? And it might blow up, I'm not sure.

Interesting:

Quote:
With a series of media reports following the report of The Korea Herald, Apple said it would replace the batteries and shells of its first-generation iPod Nano with new ones.
I guess Apple has to continue keeping access to the batteries and shell manufacturing dies (or processes) long after a product (3-4 years) has been discontinued/replaced).

I'd say "wouldn't it just be easier to give these folks a voucher for a new, entry-level iPod nano", but then I realize that these newer ones require the latest iTunes, which, in turns, requires a fairly recent OS and hardware. And if people are still using first-gen nanos in any sort of numbers, I have to assume that maybe they're still on iTunes 6, Tiger, XP, G4 or G5-based Macs, older PCs, etc. Giving them all spiffy new colored aluminum nanos probably wouldn't be much of a solution, huh?

"I can't use this...now I have to upgrade my entire system!"

spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2009-07-10, 09:27

My feeling is, if a product still works, it shouldn't explode. If it's still working, it's really not too old to be used. If it can still be used, it shouldn't explode. I feel pretty dumb typing this - it seems kinda obvious (to me). An iPod nano from 2005 should not explode.

New Apple warranty clause(?): After 4 years, not only is the product no longer warranted (that ended after the first year, remember), but the product may harm you if you continue to use it.

That just doesn't sound right.

Ugh.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-07-10, 09:31

True. I guess 2005 isn't that far back in the big scheme of things...

Still. Four cases? Have they ruled out customer involvement? Leaving the things on a dash or window sill, etc.? Or operating it in conditions outside the temperature requirements?

I'm just fascinated by the logistics of it (and the idea that Apple, in these situations, has to go back and manufacture - or do they stockpile? - old shells/casings and designs to address such problems). And do they keep plenty of both around (black and white)? They'd have to "match" what the customer originally had, I assume? Hope they got a good deal on storage and warehousing.

On the computer side, does that mean they have the ability to whip out an iMac G5 shell (white plastic, no iSight, removable rear panel, etc.) if a bunch of them started to explode or act up (and not only the white shell, but the G5-based guts and boards inside)? Or would they just give the customer a new aluminum model? How far "back in time" do they stockpile (or manufacture) replacement parts for these situations? Do they still have the ability to churn out an iMac G4 "lampshade" model in 2009, should the need arise?

spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2009-07-10, 09:36

Yeah, that is interesting.

I doubt they have special stockpiles of parts for such malfunctions. I'm sure they just do whatever they would do for broken products (same stockpile of "old" parts). If it's under warranty they repair or replace. If it's bad press (another exploding battery!?), they repair or replace.

Apple just needs to keep doing cost/benefit analyses of keeping these "old" parts on hand. Replacing a product costs more than repairing it, but making/keeping these old parts costs too.

Ugh.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-07-10, 10:24

Dear battery manufacturers,

Please figure out a way to make your shit not explode. This is getting ridiculous.

Sincerely,
Everybody
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-07-10, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Dear battery manufacturers,

Please figure out a way to make your shit not explode. This is getting ridiculous.

Sincerely,
Everybody
Dear Everybody,

Please accept that longer battery life may be achieved at higher volability and thus increase the risk. Until we come up with a new approach that does not depend on reactive materials, accept the fact that there exists a risk of battery exploding.

Sincerely,
Battery manufacturers

PS We really should push harder for nuclear battery....
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-07-10, 10:42

U235-Pod... coming to a store near you.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-07-10, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
U235-Pod... coming to a store near you.*
* Currently not available to any country forming the Axis Of Evil.