Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Domain Registrar Transfers

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Domain Registrar Transfers
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2010-02-02, 19:48

I'm currently with Dreamhost for my personal domain... I signed up under one of their "9.99 for a year for everything!" promotions. I don't want to pay $119 for next year, so I'm looking to switch.

I was looking at Godaddy. It seems they charge $6.99 to transfer, and they give you the remainder of your current registration plus a full year. Then, it's $6.99 per year after that. It seems they also include a free email account on the domain--perfect, since I'm planning on hooking the domain to my MobileMe account for web hosting, which won't provide email support for a personal domain.

I wonder if I'm missing something, though. The normal price for a domain registration is $10.99 per year... Do they give you the $4 discount since you were previously with another registrar? Or is there a "catch" I'm not seeing?

If anyone can recommend a different registrar, do post it.

http://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-transfer.aspx
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2010-02-02, 20:22

I was put off godaddy long ago by their commercials. I don't use them so I am not an expert. However I switched to namecheap and they have been more then helpful. Can't recommend them highly enough. They actually took the time to describe a problem and possible solution I had with another host faster then I could get a generic "you need to prove your identity" email from network solutions! I was totally impressed right there.

Check it out if you want. They have the hosting stuff which I use for one site, and far geekier domain registration stuff for the pro.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2010-02-02, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
I was put off godaddy long ago by their commercials.
I agree. Pretty scummy. If I can find a reliable competitor that offers a comparable price for the same services, I'll definitely go with them.
MacLahoriya

2010-02-02, 22:53

I recently switched 3 domain hosted by DreamHost to GoDaddy. DreamHost cost was too much (about $109.00 I think for each domain). For email I switched to Google Apps, it is wonderful. Setup is very very easy and you are not limited to just 1 email. You can create as many as you want.

For hosting i guess you can use MobileMe with GoDaddy. I don't have MobileMe. But one can also make simple pages with Google Apps as well.

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.5.8
Entertainment:iPod nano (Orange) 8GB Phone:Nokia 5230
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-02-02, 23:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
I was put off godaddy long ago by their commercials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
I agree. Pretty scummy. If I can find a reliable competitor that offers a comparable price for the same services, I'll definitely go with them.
Ditto. I thought I was the only one. I also really don't like their user experience, the way they ask you like a billion times if you want to add anything to your order.

The "problem" is, they usually are the cheapest, despite the megabucks they pay for their Super Bowl ads. But I've never heard of namecheap...I'll check them out.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2010-02-02, 23:56

Why would you not use them just because of those commercials? When I got my first domain, it was GoDaddy I went to... Because that was the name I knew for domains, because of those commercials. Their site is a bit clunky to navigate yeah, but the pricing is good and I've never had any technical issues.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2010-02-02, 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLahoriya View Post
For email I switched to Google Apps, it is wonderful.
Is this the Google Apps you use--the free "standard" version?
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

I figure I'll do the hosting through MobileMe to keep all my "online storage" in one place, and I'm paying for it anyway. We're on a family plan and use the email addresses as our primary, and we like the seamlessness it provides with Mail.app and iPhone.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2010-02-02, 23:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post

Why would you not use them just because of those commercials? When I got my first domain, it was GoDaddy I went to... Because that was the name I knew for domains, because of those commercials. Their site is a bit clunky to navigate yeah, but the pricing is good and I've never had any technical issues.
I probably will. I mean, it doesn't really matter, right? I'm just the type of person who's less likely to go to Carl's Jr because of their sleazy commercials.
MacLahoriya

2010-02-03, 00:28

Quote:
Is this the Google Apps you use--the free "standard" version?
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

I figure I'll do the hosting through MobileMe to keep all my "online storage" in one place, and I'm paying for it anyway. We're on a family plan and use the email addresses as our primary, and we like the seamlessness it provides with Mail.app and iPhone.
yes, the Free Standard Edition. Works very fine with me. But then I am more into Google services. I use the web interface of Gmail and love it. it is fast and easy.

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.5.8
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2010-02-03, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLahoriya View Post
yes, the Free Standard Edition. Works very fine with me. But then I am more into Google services. I use the web interface of Gmail and love it. it is fast and easy.
I like Gmail as well, I just normally find myself either on my laptop or iPhone. I prefer Mail.app on both. *shrugs*

Do you know if the Google Apps email supports Google Sync? When used with iPhone, it essentially becomes an Exchange server that can push your mail to iPhone.
MacLahoriya

2010-02-03, 21:14

Quote:
I like Gmail as well, I just normally find myself either on my laptop or iPhone. I prefer Mail.app on both. *shrugs*

Do you know if the Google Apps email supports Google Sync? When used with iPhone, it essentially becomes an Exchange server that can push your mail to iPhone.
yes, it certainly does. you have to enable this setting in the Dashboard where you manage the Google Apps settings. It works perfectly, Gmail, Calendar, Addressbook (if you us Gmail Addressbook) all work fine. I setup this for a friend on iPhone. No problems at all. Just follow the instructions.

Messages appear within few seconds on iPhone.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-02-03, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post

Why would you not use them just because of those commercials?
How is that unusual? They're obviously not targeting those ads at me, so why would they be effective?

It's the same as any other sort of advertising. Ads exclusively targeting one segment of the population tend to alienate the others. It's the same reason I'm not about to buy a Dodge.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong