Repair a user account?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Repair a user account?
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2005-04-13, 08:09

Kind of shooting in the dark with this one and the diagnosis so if it's wrong, feel free to guide me in the right direction.

My wife's Powermac Sawtooth 450 recently began having some problems. I suspect it is related to the fact that our wonderful five and three year old children use her computer to play on and have begun resolving their fights with each other by turning the computer off while the other is playing it.

Anyway, while we use Firefox, they play on their websites in Internet Explorer which has now stopped working. Additionally Quicken 2004 has also stopped working. The programs will begin loading, and then both just quit with an error.

I have done the following...

Repaired the disk.
Repaired permissions.
Reinstalled both programs
Deleted preference files related to these two programs
Rinse and repeat the first two just to be sure...

None of these worked so then I erased, installed and updated the operating system just to be safe. (I knew that probably wouldn't work, but I'm pissing in the wind here)

So now I had one other theory and created a new account. When I did this, both programs will now start and work fine under that new account, but not on the main account on the machine. So obviously the wonderful problems resolution techniques my children employ has damaged something within the main account and it is something that repair disk or permissions will not resolve.

Is there a way to repair the main account or am I going to be creating a new account and transferring everything over? If I do have to transfer everything over to a new account, what is the easiest, fastest and best way to do this?

Nick