User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Microphone trouble

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Microphone trouble
defaultmike

2005-05-29, 02:02

Hey, I'm trying to use a mic so that I can talk on skype. I've tried two different mics, and nothing at all. Can anyone walk me through what I'd need to do in order for it to work? Do macs not work with certain mics?

thanks
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-29, 02:07

The audio input jack on Macs is line-level. So, you'll probably need to use a powered microphone or a USB adapter.

(although, this isn't my area of expertise)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
defaultmike

2005-05-29, 04:16

so a USB mic would solve this?
could I use iSight's built in mic to talk in Skype?
I don't have iSight, but I'd rather invest in that than buy an expensive mic...
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-29, 04:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultmike
Don't know about compatibility with Skype but iSight simply replaces the built in mic. When iSight attached if you look in Sound in Sys Prefs you can switch input from internal mic to iSight. Presumably as a system change Skype should therefore pick this up - though I haven't tried.
pv2b

2005-05-29, 08:18

Quote:
Yes. Your iSight will work with Skype. I just tried it. (I usually use a headset connected to my iMic.)

My personal advice is that at least for laptops, the internal microphone on the computer is fully sufficient. The most important equipment for Skype users is headphones.

Headphones are necessary, because if you don't use them, whatever the person you're talking to says, is going to be picked up by your microphone, and then sent back to him after approximately half a second of delay, which is very annoying and distracting for the person you're talking to.

Now, you can set up a two-way speakerphone if you adjust your microphone levels and speaker level carefully, not too loud and not too sensitive, but I still prefer to use headphones.

So whenever I'm on the move somewhere with my iBook, and need to make a Skype call via the local WiFi access point, I carry with me a pair of earbud headphones to plug into the iBook and use the internal microphone. The sound quality isn't quite as good as when I use a proper headset at home, but it's good enough for communication without the irritating echo effect.
defaultmike

2005-05-30, 01:56

holy crap, my ibook has a built in mic? I always wondered what that little whole was!!! I feel so stupid. Screw using my G5 for this, my ibook will do just fine!!! Thanks pv2b!

btw, u mentioned using a headset. how do u do that on the ibook, do you need iMic in order to do that? ok, I'm gonna go enjoy Skype with the built in mic!!!
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-30, 02:09

Hmmm..I guess if you were "defaultmic" you would have known this instinctively... [runs away from bad pun.....]
pv2b

2005-05-30, 08:22

Quote:
btw, u mentioned using a headset. how do u do that on the ibook, do you need iMic in order to do that? ok, I'm gonna go enjoy Skype with the built in mic!!!
Yeah, you need an iMic for this, because the company we all hate to love and love to hate finds it in its infinite wisdom not to include a Microphone In port on its iBook.

Though, if you end up using your iBook -- *use headphones*. I can't stress this enough. :-)

The iBook internal microphone works great as long as the fans aren't running. Well, they work fine when the fans are running too, but you can hear the fans pretty loudly then -- but not loud enough to have to raise your voice to be intelligeble.

One last piece of advice, if you need to try your microphone setup, call the skype name "echo123". It will record what you say, and play it back after a delay.
defaultmike

2005-05-30, 09:06

awesome, thanks pv2b! I'll def. use headphones and not run too much stuff so that my iBook wont run the fans loud. and thanks for the echo123 tip too! awesome!

As for iMic, who makes it? How much is it?
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-30, 09:36

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/