Apple to buy Facebook?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple to buy Facebook?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-10-19, 12:52

http://www.looprumors.com/index.php?..._buy_facebook/

Very interesting thought, and one that I immediately had when the question about Apple's $50 billion in cash came up during the earnings call. It seems unlikely somehow, maybe just because it would be such a huge move and huge gamble, but somehow it also seems possible.

Thoughts?

I'd like it. Apple could make the purchase and then restock their cash...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-19, 12:57

Apple keeping money on hand for future opportunities does not equal Apple purchasing Facebook.

With no real reason other than "ZOMG, Apple's keeping its money!" for the possibility to be raised, there's really no point in even discussing it at this point.

What an asinine article.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-10-19, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Apple keeping money on hand for future opportunities does not equal Apple purchasing Facebook.

With no real reason other than "ZOMG, Apple's keeping its money!" for the possibility to be raised, there's really no point in even discussing it at this point.

What an asinine article.
Well, what do you think Jobs was referring to when he mentioned a the strategic opportunities? And what of the dinner with Jobs and Zuckerberg?

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-10-19, 13:03

Quote:
The move would make sense as Apple would have a network of more than 500 million users, which is about one person for every fourteen in the world.
So, basically, this would make sense to any company who can afford it? The article isn't even trying to make a case that Facebook fits into Apple's portfolio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
Well, what do you think Jobs was referring to when he mentioned a the strategic opportunities?
How about any of the other companies to buy? Ones with more, y'know, synergy?

Quote:
And what of the dinner with Jobs and Zuckerberg?
Steve: I want Facebook-Ping integration.
Mark: Okay, here's my ter—
Steve: I don't care about your terms. Make it happen.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-10-19, 13:06

Here's another article: http://www.looprumors.com/index.php?..._buy_facebook/

Quote:
Peter Kafka at All Things Digital thinks that Steve Jobs might want to buy Facebook. His reasoning is that Jobs, when asked what Apple plans to do with its now $51 billion in cash, said, "We firmly believe that one or more unique strategic opportunities will present itself to us, and we'll be in a position to take advantage of it." Kafka believes that one such "unique strategic" opportunity is called Facebook.

Jobs and Facebook founder/CEO Mark Zuckerberg met for dinner the other day. Many presumed that they were discussing Facebook Connect and Ping integration, but what if it were something more, like Apple buying Facebook? Kafka thinks that Apple acquiring Facebook makes sense because Facebook doesn't compete with Apple in any significant way, and Facebook is something that Apple couldn't compete against even if it wanted to. Plus, Facebook is already competing with Google, "which has to make Jobs like it even more," Kafka argues.

What would Apple buying Facebook lead to? Every Facebook user would probably automatically have an iTunes Store account. FaceTime chat could be integrated into Facebook chat, potentially leading to increased sales of iOS devices. If Apple continues down the road of using not only phone numbers, but email addresses and eventually Facebook IDs as designated FaceTime "phone numbers," then 500 million users would already have a FaceTime ID to use when all telephony goes VoIP.

Apple has the cash to buy Facebook outright (Facebook is valued at around US $25-35 billion), but will they? Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg seem to share a lot of traits (not to mention both having had movies made about them), but could two of the most powerful people in tech -- with equally powerful egos -- work together?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-10-19, 13:11

Quote:
Did you mean to link here?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-19, 13:13

Quote:
Well, what do you think Jobs was referring to when he mentioned a the strategic opportunities?
Uh, any of a multitude of other things? "Strategic opportunities" doesn't equal "Facebook!", especially since (as chucker points out) it hasn't really been established that buying Facebook would make special strategic sense for Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
And what of the dinner with Jobs and Zuckerberg?
They couldn't possibly have been discussing the possible re-implementation of Facebook integration in Ping, could they? Because that's what everybody thought it was, y'know, before.

If Apple were to buy Facebook, I'm pretty sure they'd be more than talk of a dinner between Jobs and Zuckerberg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this...
I'm not dismissing it, I just see absolutely no reason why it's worth discussing at this juncture. If credible sources started reporting it, sure. Otherwise, it'd be like saying that Apple could buy the company that makes iPod aluminum.

Actually, that'd probably make more sense.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
chucker

2010-10-19, 13:15

Quote:
[It'd] be like saying that Apple could buy the company that makes iPod aluminum.

Actually, that'd probably make more sense.
This.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-10-19, 13:23

What a turn of events this is. 10 years ago, it was all the rage to predict who was going to buy Apple (Sony? Disney? Microsoft?!?).
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2010-10-19, 13:40

WOW that is a rumour and a half!

Well i can see the theory behind it, and Facebook is a bit Apple-ish (without the morals). I mean it has a simple idea behind it, connect people, and makes it easy. Admittedly there is a lot of baggage that would go with this that i am not sure even Apple to sort out. With all the privacy issues etc.

But then again Steve does have a thing against Google, so cutting off Facebook for Android would pretty much kill Android! LOL
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-10-19, 13:49

Apple has morals?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-10-19, 13:50

They have granola.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-10-19, 13:54

Yeah buy it then torch it!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2010-10-19, 13:54

This is even worse than the earlier rumor speculating that Microsoft and Adobe were talking about merging.

Sorry, but um, pass.
chucker

2010-10-19, 13:56

I find the Microsoft-Adobe merger much more plausible.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-10-19, 13:59

Quote:
Thoughts?

I think all that money is generating some very amusing side effects.

*snicker*
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

Microsoft and Adobe merge, and then Apple and Facebook merge, and then Microdobe and Appbook merge. MiDoAppFace.

'TIL ALL ARE OOONNNNNEEEEEEE
tomoe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
They have granola.
I heard Facebook has gorp.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-10-19, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
WOW that is a rumour and a half!

Well i can see the theory behind it, and Facebook is a bit Apple-ish (without the morals). I mean it has a simple idea behind it, connect people, and makes it easy. Admittedly there is a lot of baggage that would go with this that i am not sure even Apple to sort out. With all the privacy issues etc.

But then again Steve does have a thing against Google, so cutting off Facebook for Android would pretty much kill Android! LOL
Apple and Facebook don’t really strike me as likely having similar cultures. Apple has their lead man with a vision and an attention to detail second to none, whereas most of what Facebook does feels rushed and half-baked. I just don’t see them operating on the same plane, so to speak.
chucker

2010-10-19, 14:04

Quote:
Microsoft and Adobe merge, and then Apple and Facebook merge, and then Microdobe and Appbook merge. MiDoAppFace.

'TIL ALL ARE OOONNNNNEEEEEEE
But when will we reach YouTwitFace zen?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2010-10-19, 14:56

So good to be home…

It would make more sense for Apple to buy Pixelmator than Facebook. Then they could give Adobe a "don't do it, or else!" kick in the can. This would add handsomely to Apple's portfolio w/o breaking the bank.

Facebook? Ain't gonna happen.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-10-19, 15:10

But why buy even Pixelmator when those guys are doing just fine on their own? Though, Pixelmator can be had for peanuts compared with all these other imaginary takeover objects.

If they damn well must spend that money they could do something a bit more ambitious. Like basic scientific research and come up with some wicked shit that is beyond the imagination their competitors and patent trolls. Heck, they might end up with something like the Xerox Alto and keep it for themselves.
chucker

2010-10-19, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Heck, they might end up with something like the Xerox Alto and keep it for themselves.
Right. They should create a research department and fail to monetize the ideas. It worked well for Xerox and Microsoft.
kdcny

2010-10-19, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
But why buy even Pixelmator when those guys are doing just fine on their own?
Why buy Pixelmator? The "just in case", unimaginable scenario: if Microsoft purchases Adobe.

I don't think Apple would though, because if the far-fetched Microsoft/Adobe thing happens, I would bet that Apple's got something better in-house that they'd develop into a Photoshop competitor. (Or, at least Apple believes that they could do something like that).

Getting back to what was actually said - listening to the conference call, I was surprised by Steve's words on this subject. Historically, Apple's acquisitions have been smaller companies whose technologies aren't outright competitors to their own, but complement them and improve upon them; their strategy has been, "Hmm... what we've got isn't as good as what they've got - let's buy their technology, hire the guys, and put them to work developing our Dream App/Product." They don't generally buy to conquer and drive out the competition (e.g. Microsoft).

So, I was surprised to hear Steve imply a larger acquisition than normal. I don't know what they're eyeing (my guess is *not* Facebook ), but I guess they've been getting good advice from their new person in charge of acquisitions. What company would be worth multiple billions of dollars to Apple? A company that isn't quite available, or a company that hasn't yet matured enough to a place where Apple would want it? That seems to be what Steve was saying: "We want to keep our options open in case we drive past something we like and want to stop and take a look." I don't know what that might be, though... a record label would certainly be interesting, or a publishing company - Apple cutting out the middlemen and working directly with artists & authors, easily helping them to self-publish to the iStores, etc. ::shrug:: Just my two cents...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-10-19, 21:30

Apple are not going to buy Facebook. Period. What a desperate, and completely dumb rumour.

Anyone who thinks so is probably a dumb ass who thinks that the US military is doing good work in Iraq.

On a side note, if Steve simply wanted to buy Facebook to shut the damn thing down, I'd happily chip in. But only on those terms.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-10-19, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post

Anyone who thinks so is probably a dumb ass who thinks that the US military is doing good work in Iraq.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-10-20, 05:56

I can totally see Zuckerberg being the kind of guy like Dr. Evil was.

Apple: How much for Facebook?

Zucks: A billion-bagillion Dohlarrrrrrs!

In all seriousness, Apple wants nothing to do with the cluster fuck of lawsuits and privacy issues they would inherit with that purchase.

Last edited by BuonRotto : 2010-10-20 at 05:58. Reason: I love that the iPad corrects clusterfuck into two words.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-10-20, 06:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Why make a comment like that completed unrelated to the topic? Can you not have a mature conversation? Do you have to be inflammatory at all times? What do you get out of it?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-10-20, 06:48

I totally think the merger between Time Warner and AOL is a good idea!!! I mean!! AOL is the wave of the future and it's only getting bigger!! They'd be fools... FOOLS!!! if they didn't spend whatever it takes to access those 500 million users!! I mean, these people are paying good money to pay for the service, so they'll probably be willing to buy products from Time Warner too! People aren't cheapskates when it comes to dialing up to the Internet!

Just sayin' is all...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-20, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Why make a comment like that completed unrelated to the topic? Can you not have a mature conversation? Do you have to be inflammatory at all times? What do you get out of it?
A big chunk of this thread has been excised and locked, and scratt was referring to that chunk, which was still part of the thread when he made that comment.

Anyway.

Companies Apple is More Likely to Buy Than Facebook

MySpace (can be rebranded to iSpace for better synergy)

Apple Corps (would acquire Beatles catalog, better synergy)

NBC (would make more sense than the Comcast deal, better synergy)

Twitter (like Facebook but simplified to its minimalist essentials, better synergy)

Anyone who gets too good at making Android handsets (better synergy)

Rumor blogs and sites (control the flow of information, better synergy)

An actual fruit company (self-explanatory, better synergy)

Yahoo!