User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Predictions for October 20 special event?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Predictions for October 20 special event?
Page 5 of 8 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-10-18, 14:41

Damn. 33 months of no posts and you don't even say hi!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2010-10-18, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Also: OMGZ where you has been? Welcome back.
Yeah, thanks. I've actually been taking part in a very exclusive and formally top-secret project that kept me away from this place. But, now that that project is finished, I have some spare time on my hands.

What project, you ask? Well, I was taking part in an internship within the great white halls of Apple's R & D labs, and let me tell you…there is some neat stuff coming on Wednesday. Here is a nice list for…

FBI is here. Gotta go…

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

kscherer
Which way is up?

2010-10-18, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Damn. 33 months of no posts and you don't even say hi!
Hi!!

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-10-18, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Yeah, thanks. I've actually been taking part in a very exclusive and formally top-secret project that kept me away from this place. But, now that that project is finished, I have some spare time on my hands.

What project, you ask? Well, I was taking part in an internship within the great white halls of Apple's R & D labs, and let me tell you…there is some neat stuff coming on Wednesday. Here is a nice list for…

FBI is here. Gotta go…
Are you forserious about the internship?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2010-10-18, 15:01

And here is that super secret list:

1) iLife 2011: iPhoto will learn how to recognize actual faces, and not just that kid that snuck into your perfect family pic; iMovie will be useful, again; iWeb will support making actual websites; Garageband will give users the ability to publish their awful music direct to iTunes; iDVD will be replaced with iDVDon't; and the secret new app will be called i-i-Sir, and will let you believe anything his Steveness says.

2) iWork will be replaced with iWorkalot, which is why I haven't been posting.

3) The MacBook Air will be super light, super cool, super cheap and still won't sell to anyone other than rich guys and people named Flo.

4) Seriously, Mac OS 10.7 will get a revamped user interface and some kind of network sharing/syncing with all those other i-things.

That's all I can say, for now.

Anybody need a bridge? Adobe? Anyone? Messiahtosh?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-10-18, 15:16

Quote:

FBI is here. Gotta go…
I thought they were called Global Loyalty?

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-10-18, 15:17

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the new MBA would most certainly have to use a C2D ULV processor because of the licensing conflict with using an i5/i7 ULV CPU in conjunction with the NVIDIA chipset. So either an Intel integrated GPU with i5/i7 ULV CPU or NVIDIA integrated GPU with C2D ULV?

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-10-18, 15:37

Quote:

Anybody need a bridge? Adobe? Anyone? Messiahtosh?

You! Youuuu!

Jasoco

2010-10-18, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDFRAPP View Post
I like how Apple picked the date 20 10 2010 for the event. Isn't it awesome!
It's 10/20/2010. This is America. We write it the correct Month/Day format here. :P

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-10-18, 20:48

2010-10-20 is the only sane way to write it.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2010-10-18, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
2010-10-20 is the only sane way to write it.
This.

Fuck this MM-DD-YYYY vs. DD-MM-YYYY nonsense.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-10-18, 21:27

I'm with you guys. It sorts better this way.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-10-18, 21:33

I like 2010-10-20 as a style when you're writing it purely numerically. But when I'm dating things out for myself, on like homework or whatever, I always write it as "20 Oct 2010" so it's super obvious what's day and month.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-18, 21:34

Really, we should have 13 28-day months, with one or two intercalary days at the end. It'd be so much nicer!

/newcanofworms

GOLDFRAPP

2010-10-18, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
It's 10/20/2010. This is America. We write it the correct Month/Day format here. :P
Actually, it was Jony Ive who suggested the date, ok?

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-10-19, 04:59

No no no. 20 10 2010 is the correct way.

Ducks and runs................

joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-10-19, 05:34

Hi, I'm also back. I was only gone for like 4 months though.

Predictions:

MacBook Air

No $999 or less MBA with 128GB SSD. That's just delusional at best. I'm guessing they'll either keep it starting from $1499 or drop it by $1-200. A $200 drop would give them a nice $999/$1199/$1299 lineup for MB/MBP/MBA.

No 13" model. Only 11" models.

The Air is not going into competition with netbooks. It's small and light, but it's still as powerful as a MacBook. It might be missing a built-in optical drive and a few ports, but other than that it's more or less a small laptop without the compromise.

i7 processors, 4GB RAM, 10-hour battery life, and all the other bells and whistles you'd expect from a MacBook. Smaller screen than a 13" MacBook but the same resolution. Full-sized keyboard (going right to the edge, like the old 12"PBs used to). Smaller trackpad than a 13" but still way better than on most laptops and all netbooks in terms of usability.

Models will come in 128GB and 256GB flavours.

3G may be an option? Has that been mentioned yet? Maybe even CDMA *GASP*.

iLife

iDVD replaced with overhauled Front Row based on latest Apple TV interface, but hopefully still with a DVD player?

Rudimentary image editing/drawing software would be sweet?

Mac OS X

I think they were pleasantly surprised with the sales of Snow Leopard at $29. I think they'll keep Lion under the $100 mark, at $99.

No touch, that's for things you can hold in your hand.

NFI on features... Hopefully something super-cool! Can't wait to see

EDIT: Actually...

I'm re-thinking my 'no 13" MBA' claim a little. It seems inevitable that, in the medium-long term, optical drives and HDDs are not long for this world (well, for laptops anyway) at all. Which happen to be the two components that are keeping MacBooks as thick as they are. The MBA is high-end for now (and will certainly stay that way for this update), but they're the standard MacBooks of the future, when SDD takes over from HDD in popularity and everyone has well and truly forgotten what that slit/draw on the side of their laptop is for. I'm thinking maybe about 2 years from now, for the relentlessly pushing forward Apple, a little longer for the rest of the industry. So I'm now thinking the 13" MBA does indeed exist, poised to take over from the 13" MacBook Pro in around 2 years. Tomorrow(ish) we won't just be seeing the future of Apple's ultra-compact MacBook offering, but the future of MacBooks in general .

Last edited by joveblue : 2010-10-19 at 06:11.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-10-19, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post

No touch, that's for things you can hold in your hand.
Really?

¡Damned!

2010-10-19, 09:34

eSATAp port(s) replace USB. That alone will make my day.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-19, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
eSATAp port(s) replace USB. That alone will make my day.
!!!

I had never heard of eSATAp before. Why doesn't Apple use this? It's awesome.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-10-19, 10:24

Are there USB-to-eSATAp adapters? Because I'm not seeing a ton of those peripherals out there...what would you do? Or does it use the same connections?

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-19, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Are there USB-to-eSATAp adapters? Because I'm not seeing a ton of those peripherals out there...what would you do? Or does it use the same connections?
It uses the same connectors. One plug is both USB and a super awesome self-powered eSATA port.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-10-19, 10:32

eSATAp is external, powered SATA. It makes a combo eSATA/USB port possible, so with such a port, you can plug both USB and eSATAp devices into the same port.

That said, adoption of eSATAp is poor at best. That's obviously a chicken-and-egg problem, but Apple isn't much of an early adopter when it comes to new peripheral standards, unless they have a particularly good reason to (e.g. FireWire when they wanted to promote "Desktop Video").

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2010-10-19, 10:35

But if eSATAp is essentially both USB and SATA, two popular and tested implementations in one space, it seems like a no-brainer to me, really.

I can see Apple holding back if it was buggy, power-hungry (bad for lappy battery), or clunky, but assuming eSATAp is none of those, then I'd be so ticked at having one on my next Mac.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-19, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
That's obviously a chicken-and-egg problem, but Apple isn't much of an early adopter when it comes to new peripheral standards, unless they have a particularly good reason to (e.g. FireWire when they wanted to promote "Desktop Video").
I would say the limited space for ports on their notebooks (especially the MacBook Air) counts as a particularly good reason to, no?

chucker

2010-10-19, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I would say the limited space for ports on their notebooks (especially the MacBook Air) counts as a particularly good reason to, no?
You're comparing against "additional eSATAp port". That's even less likely on a MacBook Air, of course, so I was comparing against "regular ol' USB port". I find USB 3.0 far more likely than this hybrid.

¡Damned!

2010-10-19, 10:52

If anyone could give eSATAp the much-needed exposure it (imo) deserves, it would be Apple.

That said, the shape of the port looks like an alien from Space Invaders, so that may be its downfall in Apple's eyes. SJ: "There's no way in hell I'm putting that on our machines...look how many angles it has!!!"

So it goes.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-10-19, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
If anyone could give eSATAp the much-needed exposure it (imo) deserves, it would be Apple.
Shush, you! You'll doom eSATAp to failure by wishing things like that of Apple!

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-10-19, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Shush, you! You'll doom eSATAp to failure by wishing things like that of Apple!
Why are you so negative towards Apple? Just curious.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-19, 11:30