User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

It's official...Apple media event next Tuesday, October 22...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
It's official...Apple media event next Tuesday, October 22...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-10-15, 12:42

The invitations are out.

Definitely iPads (Cover? Get it? Smart Cover, etc.)

What else?

For them to mention still having "a lot to cover" could be taken as iPad + Other Stuff (MacBooks, new Mac Pro, Mavericks).

It's not like Apple to cram everything under the sun into a single event, so I don't think everything can make the cut. But rules are made to be broken, patterns exist so they can be disrupted, etc. I discount nothing at this point.

What I can imagine happening, with a high degree of certainty, is this:

- iPad-centric event, which nobody is going to argue with (new fifth-generation model, new second-generation mini)
- Always a good chance for an extra bit of hardware or software that ties in somehow (new app, new accessory, etc.)
- A brief mention at the start (before the iPad stuff kicks in) of updated MacBook Pros. They've done this before, no biggie (mentioning updated hardware at an event where that hardware isn't the key focus). And I'm big on the MacBook Pro simply because it's oddly "lacking" in comparison to the Airs, which were updated with this new stuff months ago. Apple is surely going to update the Pro notebooks before the end of the year, and next week seems like the best time to do so).

Still leaves Mavericks, the new Mac Pro and the Mac mini the only things remaining for 2013.

I don't see Apple holding a third press event (in three months) for this, but maybe that's what they'll do?

It seems like they'd want maximum push/exposure for a redesigned Mac Pro (and Mavericks) and hold a dedicated press/launch event. But, then again, that is going to be a limited-appeal type of machine, and the very people who are most interested in such a Mac don't need a special event to notify them about it. They're already following this stuff more than the average, typical user.

I truly don't know what to think here. I can see/imagine both sides of it, and they both make sense...

I'm pretty confident in the iPad and MacBook Pro stuff (with the MacBook Pro just taking the form of a quick "this morning, we're announcing updates to..." mention by Tim Cook or Phil Schiller. I don't know if they're going to consolidate the line and go SSD and Retina across the board (thereby eliminating the "two-headed" current MacBook Pro lineup, but that would be nice, and might earn a few more minutes of talk). Along the same lines, the Mac mini could be given a 1-2 minute mention as well (new processors, etc.).

I suppose in some sort of fantasy, dream-case scenario Apple could indeed hold a full, jam-packed two-hour event (they have before). iPads are iPads, and I no longer think they'd require a full hour or 90 minutes to showcase. Sounds like the mini is getting no physical changes beyond the Retina Display, so that's easy. And the full-size models will have that smaller design, but how much time could they possibly spend on that?

If they kept the iPad stuff to 30 or so minutes (including showing off a new commercial and the requisite behind-the-scenes/making-of video where Ive talks about the essence of design and how there couldn't possibly exist a more perfect iPad ), and the MacBook Pro announcements to five or so minutes, that would leave plenty of time (if factoring in a 90-minute-plus event) to officially take the wraps off of the Mac Pro and Mavericks?

What we're all assuming is an iPad event could actually just be the springboard to a larger, closing bit of the new tower and OS?

Being that they had a media event just a little over a month ago, I don't think it's necessary for Cook to get up there and bore everyone with dry, business/sales stats for 15-20 minutes (beyond mentioning the iPhone 5s/5c sales). But there doesn't need to be a bunch of charts and "lifestyle" videos of people standing in line for store openings or whatever.

That new head of retail, Jennifer Aniston's mom, might get mentioned and officially welcomed aboard, but that's 1-2 minutes, tops.

They've had events where both Steve and Tim have come on stage and pretty much said "we have a lot to show you today, so we're going to get right to it...", and if they do something like that, they'd definitely have time to pack a lot into a 90-minute or two-hour show. Hit the ground running, zip through the MacBook Pro, Mac mini and, to some degree, the iPad stuff (again, it's not 2010 or 2011 anymore, so I can't see them spending most of the show on the iPad at this point; everyone already knows what they are/do/represent).

So that, combined with the "lots to cover" statement on their invitation kinda makes me think we could get everything blasted out in one final event for 2013? At that point, all hardware - Mac and iOS - is updated and fresh/new, heading into the holiday season, along with both operating systems and whatever new software or accessories might be included with any of the above (new iWork or iLife, etc.).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-10-15 at 12:56.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-10-15, 15:22

Will I finally buy a new Mac? Hmmm...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-10-15, 15:31

Might have some choices.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-10-15, 15:43

Could take months to sort it all out. How close does that put us to Broadwell based Macs?
Bonn89

2013-10-15, 16:03

"More to cover."

Smart Covers for MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iMac and Mac Pro confirmed.
Partial
Stallion

2013-10-15, 16:46

Prediction:

Very small mention of updated MBPs

Extensive Mavericks walk-thru on new Mac Pro (launching mid-november)

new iPads

Apple TV is the one more thing. Bam!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2013-10-15, 16:51

Apps on the Apple TV plz omgwtfbbq.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-10-15, 17:16

I see that happening before Apple ever putting out an actual TV set.

I still don't understand the appeal, or reason, of them getting into that racket. Not when they can already control or "fix" everything via a small box and software (even if the current tv isn't perfect, future ones can certainly be). In the space it would take them to transport and store ONE 42" TV, they can fit dozens of their current (or future) tv devices.

Furthermore, Apple isn't going to create some magical, perfect-for-everyone size, to account for everyone's viewing habits/preferred distances, furniture and room layouts, eyesight, budget, etc. So once you realize and accept that very basic and true statement, then you're automatically into that realm of them making several different sized models.

Does anyone truly imagine that happening? Put aside what you want, and just think about it from practical manufacturing, transportation and stocking perspectives. I'd be shocked beyond words if they ever jump into that pool...

I do, however, expect better, ever-improving tv units for years to come.

I don't think Steve Jobs was talking about anything beyond software or an improved peripheral/attachment when he spoke of "cracking" the TV problem. Because that's all that is required. Apple making TV sets creates more problems and questions than it solves and answers, IMO.

This is a unique thing and you can't apply the cell phone model/approach to it. If Apple could've sold a tiny thing that attached to current, shitty cell phones in 2007 that made them suddenly work and act like an iPhone, they would've. That required a ground-up approach.

I don't think a TV does. It's not the screen and the hardware people bitch about or have trouble with, so why do they need to try and outdo - or compete with - all the rest?

I think the solution lies within iOS, tv, a smart remote of some sort, all connected online, etc. Not a big stupid silver TV set with an Apple logo on it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-10-15 at 17:27.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2013-10-15, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I see that happening before Apple ever putting out an actual TV set.

I still don't understand the appeal, or reason, of them getting into that racket. Not when they can already control or "fix" everything via a small box and software (even if the current tv isn't perfect, future ones can certainly be). In the space it would take them to transport and store ONE 42" TV, they can fit dozens of their current (or future) tv devices.
Doesn't the same logic apply to giving up on the iMac and pushing the Mac mini instead?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-10-15, 18:00

No.
chucker

2013-10-15, 18:38

Ok.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2013-10-15, 18:54

.... ....
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2013-10-15, 20:02

Fair enough
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-10-15, 21:38

Shush
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-10-15, 22:15

Hey, don't blame me when it all never comes to be. I tried to tell you.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2013-10-16, 03:42

We still have a lot to cover.

Grasping wildly at straws, could the deliberate word “still” have something to do with still photography, i.e. Aperture X? “We have a lot to cover” would have worked okay: why add “still”? Aperture X might look good as a demo on a Mac Pro.

If not still photography, maybe “still” is an assertion of Apple’s continuing ability to surprise, i.e. with an all-new product. Cook did promise surprises, after all. Updated iPads and a long-awaited Mac Pro are not truly surprising.

Assuming a double entendre, “a lot to cover” might mean the new covers have to cover “a lot” of screen area, for instance a 12-point-something-inch iPad.

Exclusive TV coverage of some major upcoming sports event? A Coldplay cover song? Book covers?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2013-10-16, 11:23

Any possibility a new display will be announced? It's been over two years.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-10-16, 12:10

There are two 30" class 4K panels in the market now from Sharp and LG and they're in products both announced and shipping for testing, ranging from $3599-4999 at the moment. I expect Apple to launch a new Cinema Display to show off the triple 4K capabilities of the new Mac Pro. Maybe as much as $5000 each, maybe as low as $3000.

This is a halo machine. Some pros are already complaining about losing their expandable Mac Pro boxen for what is a Mac mini on steriods. Apple needs to show them something, and if you're a video/film pro, this could be it. I'd imagine a few big name Steven Spielbergs an George Lucas types have already been given a Mac Pro with triple 4K set-up for their private studios, so they can rave about it during a segment.

Maybe a more pedestrian bonded glass thunderbolt 2 display for the rest of us mortals, with a small price cut to 799.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-10-16, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Any possibility a new display will be announced? It's been over two years.
I was wondering that as well. Were you talking in terms of design or specs? Or both?

Design-wise, I can't see them changing too much because a) it's pretty nice and simple as it is, and echoes the iMac and makes for a nice "unified family" vibe, b) pairs so nicely with all the aluminum Macs that it's often used with (and with it's glossy black bezel and black Apple logo on the rear, it'll even look nice beside one of those new Mac Pros).

I know such silly, minor things aren't important to many users, but I also don't think Apple would go out of their way to make something look goofy/mismatched, or out-of-place, for no good reason. So right now, IMO, the design/appearance of the standalone display is firmly in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" territory.

But spec-wise, I suppose it could be due for something? But I don't really follow, or know about, displays enough to know what's considered "outdated" or what the new, desired goodies are.

I still think they should make a more affordable 21.5" or so version for all the Mac mini and MacBook Air/Pro owners out there who don't need the 27" (or its $999 price tag) for the things they do. A tricked-out 11" Air would pair nicely with that, I think (and probably easier to drive than the 27"...easier on the system?)

Seems they would've done by now, though.

Spec-wise, where is the current 27" Thunderbolt display lacking or coming up short? I don't know, I'm asking...

EDIT: Reading Matsu's post, triggered something. If there's some feature/tech these new Mac Pros support or allow, then I could maybe see Apple rolling out such a "Cadillac" display to pair with it, complete with a black, glossy design.

And then, yes...keep the 27" Thunderbolt around but maybe try and make it a little more affordable?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-10-16 at 12:32.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2013-10-16, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Grasping wildly at straws, could the deliberate word “still” have something to do with still photography, i.e. Aperture X? “We have a lot to cover” would have worked okay: why add “still”? Aperture X might look good as a demo on a Mac Pro.
I think you are really, desperately grasping at straws here. There is no way they would bring up Aperture an event. Aperture 3 was released with nothing more than a press release, so don't expect any more than that for the next version.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2013-10-16, 14:51

There's some good analysis of the invite over at TUAW.

Wrao
Yarp

2013-10-16, 14:52

Yeah, does Apple even really code any hints or messages into these tag lines anymore? did they ever really? I mean they've always sort of wafted towards the direction of what they intended on announcing but I'm drawing a blank in thinking of any particularly clever or hidden punchlines to them...
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2013-10-16, 14:54

'There's something in the Air'

For the launch of the MacBook Air. That's all I remember off the top of my head.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2013-10-16, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
There's some good analysis of the invite over at TUAW.

And people wonder why Apple stock falls after any event. It's no wonder, because this stuff is simply ridiculous.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2013-10-16, 14:57

I dunno, there's probably some truth in this:

Quote:
"To" = Two. You should buy two of them so you can sell the other one on eBay for a huge profit at launch. Especially if there's a gold one.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-10-16, 15:59

I'm SHOCKED that no one has yet linked to David Marsden's Foucaltian breakdown of the Apple announcement.

Boys, things are getting desperate around here when I show up to clean up the town.

http://www.david-marsden.com/apple-i...is-discovered/

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-10-16, 20:43

I just wanna know how much I need to save for my new Mac Pro. Tell me the prices and I'll be happy.

I expect iPads and Mac Pro with Maverick show off on it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
gsxrboy

2013-10-16, 20:45

There is approx 42 leaves in the invite, too hard to count so lets just say yes, which is obviously referencing The Ultimate Answer which leads to Hitch Hikers which is about space and aliens. The leaves are falling to the ground, either meaning Autumn or potentially invasion. The leaves look like little alien heads ...

...and finally - the UFO Spacestation HQ has just been given final approval.

Make of all that what you will.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-10-16, 21:08

The funny thing is, all these silly, "creative" answers and analysis/clue-solving people are posting here and elsewhere are probably more entertaining and satisfying than the real event is gonna be.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-10-17, 12:15

Oh oh, I got one!

Apple is replacing all original and/or popular song renditions with covers done by local bands in the markets where you live. Using a mix of location data, and different nation stores, and in co-operation with Google, every user will have a uniquely tailored iTunes experience. Best of all, next time you connect to the cloud, or start up iTunes, the music store will automatically replace all your songs with local cover versions free of charge!