Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

CueCat issues with Delicious Library

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
CueCat issues with Delicious Library
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-10-08, 03:02

I got my "modified" USB CueCat today in the mail. I was planning on using it with Delicious Library but I have an issue. When I scan a barcode in Delicious Library and when I scan it into TextEdit I get 2 completely different numbers where the one in TextEdit is the right one. For example I picked up a random book lying around here, when I scan it into Delicious Library I get the barcode “978908090103408″ but when I scan it into TextEdit I get “9780891348382 90000".

anyone know what the problem might be?

update: ok figured out the problem, or atleast figured out how to get the barcode scanned right. Instead of click on "Add a new item" and then scanning, I should just scan right away and it will add it for me. Cool.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-08, 03:36

Wow. I'm amazed that the CueCat even still exists today, given the stupidity of its dot-com-bubble launch. I can't remember the last time I saw one.

How was yours modified? To remove the user-tracking serial number or something?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
usurp

2005-10-08, 04:07

Ok someone else messaged me asking about the CueCat so I will post details here.

I purchased my CueCat from Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006SJTOY
I got it for $9.99 , brand new and it was the USB version and modified by seller.
The reason you modify the CueCat is to turn it into a regular barcode reader. According to Delicious Library here are the instructions to modifying the cuecat:

How to modify your CueCat barcode scanner (1965 USB Models): The USB models have an onboard 16 pin SMD component. This IC will have a serial number on it similar to the following sequence: K130A033 HMS91C7316 0027. Simply lift pin 5 on this device (The small dimple in the lower right-hand corner indicates pin 1). Congratulations, your USB CueCat is now functioning as a commercial barcode scanner.

I am sure you might be able to find CueCats cheaper on ebay but I rather buy stuff off of resellers on Amazon.

Also to get a better idea of how it works. If you open textedit and scan the cuecat over a barcode, it will type the barcode number for u in textedit and then press enter for you automatically. So you could keep scanning barcodes and they will just end up each on a separate line.

Here is the picture of my CueCat with my Mouse

If you guys have any more questions or want me to try it with a certain software, just ask me here in this thread.

Here is an eBay search of USB CueCat
http://search.ebay.com/usb-cuecat

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
omem

2005-10-08, 11:28

Thanks
omem

2005-10-08, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Wow. I'm amazed that the CueCat even still exists today, given the stupidity of its dot-com-bubble launch. I can't remember the last time I saw one.

How was yours modified? To remove the user-tracking serial number or something?
haha I just read that article. the product's purpose really was dumb, but now it sounds like a good and cheap company for delicious library, for the ones who don't own an iSight such as me.

My Apple Gear: iMac G5 1.8GHz 17'' + iPod photo 40GB + iPod shuffle (green) + BlackBook 2.4GHz
Apple Communities: LiveJournal | Last.fm
My sites: Glassjaw.net | HeadAutomatica.net
usurp

2005-10-09, 02:06

well just an update on the cuecat. when i went home yesterday night i used the cuecat to scan half of my cd library, its was very easy and delicious library is great.

only problem i had was with cds with no barcodes... no barcode means nothing to scan. And cds i got from BMGmusic.com.. those had different kind of barcodes.

other then that the cuecat was able to scan 99% of my cds without a problem. So far, 9.99$ is a REALLY good deal for the cuecat.