Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

RSS Feed on the front page...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
RSS Feed on the front page...
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-07-11, 18:35

I have recently started to use net news wire.... its great, especially when you are trying to keep the bandwidth usage down...

Any chance you guys could add a feed to the front page?

what about http://forums.applenova.com/search.php?do=getdaily ? (I doubt this is possible, but I figured I would ask...)

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-11, 19:13

Mambo, our front-end engine, should automatically make an RSS feed. It appears that Jack disabled this when he redesigned the index template. I'll see if I can find it...

As for getting an RSS feed on the forum VTP link, I think that'll be a bit more difficult... especially since I don't have an RSS reader.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-07-12, 17:35

The easiest way to implement a VTP feed would probably be to make a Mambo module that pulls the information from the vB database and dumps it to an XML file. In any case, the RSS feed for the front end is up. You just needed to click the "Publish" button for it and select a template position

I hadn't published it because we don't update that much yet

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-07-12, 20:49

thanks frontpage RSS feed
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-07-12, 21:44

Just a quick question about the VTP news feed.... how many "articles" are traditionally in the RSS feed of an active site? How would you propose it be done? Would we provide the thread title as the article title, and then only include the last post as the article text, or include everyone's post, or include x number of posts?

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-28, 19:37

I'd say include just the last post for the vtp feed... but since I'm sure many people would start to use the feed for "offline" reading, maybe having all the posts in the thread as an optional second feed? Not sure... it really depends on the amount of bandwidth you are willing to use for it.

Speaking of "offline" reading, how about a "full text" feed for the front page as well?

By the way, the feed is down...

For a bit more information about RSS feeds, daringfireball originally turned me onto the idea (search the archives) and has some great comments about it. The latest post touches on how full-text RSS feeds have been driving his membership.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)

Last edited by Paul : 2005-01-28 at 19:45.
autodata
hustlin

2005-01-28, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
By the way, the feed is down...
Looks like a fluke with that quote
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-28, 20:36

I get an error when I try to load it from the main page also...
http://www.applenova.com/
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-04-30, 14:53

Bump:

Ummm...does anyone here actually look at the frontpage? I cant say that "news" is very new....

The forum that I moderate has an RSS feed of the 10 latest posts: Link

Maybe something like that might be nice over here?

Last edited by Bryson : 2005-04-30 at 14:54. Reason: Fixed link
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2005-05-01, 02:26

nothing new is on the front page because nobody seems to have enough motivation to write anything. I tried really hard to make it happen, and I failed for several reasons. I would like to add an rss feed for the forums though, and I think it is probably very doable. We'll look into it.