AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

a few options... which is best?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
a few options... which is best?
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-06-20, 14:49

I will likely be getting a brand new macbook pro for college next year and I have a few options here...

Option #1:
-purchase from Apple store
-15" 2.4 GHz stock model (2 GB RAM, 160 Gig 5400 rpm hd, 256 mb video ram)
-standard Applecare
-iPod Nano
-TOTAL PRICE~$2500

Option #2:
-purchase from Apple store
-15" 2.2Ghz (2GB RAM, 160 Gig 5400 rpm hd, 128 mb video ram)
-Photoshop CS3 extended
-ipod nano
-standard applecare
-TOTAL PRICE~$2500

Option #3:
-purchase from uva bookstore
-15" 2.2Ghz (2GB RAM, 160 Gig 5400 rpm hd, 128 mb video ram)
-special 4-year applecare plus I can take it to the help desk for repairs and they'll give me a loaner computer
-surge protector, lock, 40' ethernet, 10' usb, carrying case
-TOTAL PRICE~$2600

Say you're going to be a 1st year in college... which option would you choose? All the prices are basically the same but each option has certain advantages that make me think twice no matter what I think about getting.

thanks in advance for any input/advice
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-06-20, 14:52

I'd go for the higher end model myself, unless you really need Photoshop CS3 extended.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2007-06-20, 14:53

i fixed it... safari 3 was messing up on my work PC and at first it didn't post the whole thing then it would only copy the first part that I already had, and it wouldn't paste into any other program for me to do it piece by piece... it eventually fixed itself though (dunno how but whatever). anyway, back to the thread...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-06-20, 15:18

Why do you need a pro? Are you going into Graphic Design, or something like that? You mention PS CS3 Extended…is that necessary?

etc., etc., etc.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-06-20, 15:23

I'd say option three. I doubt 200MHz would make much of a difference, and I guess you'd know better than me if you really need double VRAM. Either model will see you through several years and OS upgrades. The additional services offered by the reseller sound pretty sweet. Plus I like to help support the small independent stores
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2007-06-20, 15:44

I'm going with the pro becasue a) I have the money and b) I don't know what I'll be doing in college... other than working towards some sort of business degree there's a bunch of possibilities for me to pursue in computer science, photography, video, art... and that's not even counting extracurriculars. I'd just like to know that whatever I try to pursue in college my computer would be up to the task.
rampancy

2007-06-20, 16:35

I'd go with door #3 myself, but only because the last thing I need to do is to get caught with my pants down with no computer; that's happened to me twice in school now, the last time I lost two months' worth of work on my thesis, and I had to deal with a PowerPoint presentation coming up.

The amount of money you spend on accessories, while small at first, really adds up when you toss in a security lock, a carrying case, surge protector, cables, adapters, and everything else. That package at least gives you the bare essentials right off the bat. Thing is, I don't know who the manufacturers of the surge protector, case and lock are, so that might be a good deal or a horrible deal depending on that.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-06-20, 16:44

I like option three as well. The fact that you get all that extra stuff for basically $100 more, including the loner computer and four years of AppleCare should something go wrong, is much more valuable then a free Nano after rebate. Sounds like a great deal to me.

See if you can add in the $100 of a printer deal and get yourself completely set.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2007-06-20, 16:54

my roommate is bringing a printer so I'm already set on that.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-06-20, 18:38

Option 1 (although option 3 has the loaner benefit - which is tempting)

VRAM is not user upgradeable later. The 256 now effectively extends the 'spec lifespan' of the machine and the number of things you can do with it. Even if you aren't using the extra GPU horses, it may increase the resale value of the machine for somebody who would.

Carrying cases are often a personal thing... comfort, security, waterproofing, style, etc. Many would prefer to pick their own rather than take a bundled option that is indistinguishable from other uva bookstore customers. Maybe you'll cover it in Hello Kitty stickers to personalize it anyway. YMMV.

You can defer the purchase of Applecare until almost the end of your first year of warranty and use the difference to get the other peripherals if you want.

If you put your student number into the education page at the AppleStore, you should get a comparable discount to what the uva bookstore offers (if not the other bundled stuff).

Also consider option 4: a refurb MBP
Still warrantied for a year, and sometimes 30% or more off MSRP.

</2cents>

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
rampancy

2007-06-20, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
Also consider option 4: a refurb MBP
Still warrantied for a year, and sometimes 30% or more off MSRP.
That's also an option I would highly recommend considering. That plus AppleCare makes for a compelling value.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-06-20, 21:41

Or Amazon with no tax and a huge rebate and free shipping
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2007-06-21, 00:26

the #1 and #2 are after apple's edu discount from their website. Do refurbished machine's get a discount for education customers? I'll go check this out...

EDIT: refurbished don't get a discount, although the prices even without it are tempting...

but really what's keeping me away from a refurbished option is that the newer macbooks are a significant step above the old ones... it's not just hte normal speed bump. New displays, new chipset, new GPU... which right now it might not matter a whole lot (except with battery life... another more under-the-radar plus of a new machine), but as software starts to use the advantages of the new hardware more i don't really want to get left behind. Or at least it seems that I would. I dunno. If it turns out the yellow screen problems and headphone jack problems are really serious I'll give refurb another look, but right now I think i'm sticking to my options... I still can't decide between #3 and #1
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2007-06-30, 12:58

I don't know if you still want advice or not, but here's my 2 cents.

I'd take option 3. Even without the extra bundled accessories, the longer AppleCare plus the option of a loaner is going to help you a lot. If anything does go wrong, powers-above forbid, you won't be completely unable to do your work.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-06-30, 14:42

Another thing you have to considered is if you do option 3, does your school bundle any software on the computer such as Norton Antivirus.

The University of Texas does that and, it is a pain in the ass to get it off of your computer.

Just my 2 cents.

Deal with it.