User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Applenova's "Got Milk?" Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: What milk variety do you prefer?
Raw milk! All that essential nutrients goodness and *real* natural taste! 3 4.48%
Whole milk! Can't have it without that cream! 8 11.94%
2% milk! Lite milk with all the flavor! 25 37.31%
1% milk! For those not so crazy about cream! 7 10.45%
Skim milk! Blah! Who needs cream? Milk goodness is all that matters! 8 11.94%
Yuck!!! Cow's pus and proteins?! No thanks! Soymilk for me! 7 10.45%
Milk-Beer! Erm... WTF?!? 4 5.97%
Certified organic milk (no antibiotics, hormones, or pesticides) 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Applenova's "Got Milk?" Thread
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-07-26, 08:22

I've always had 2% milk. That was what I grew up on, and never really cared to try other variety (have drank 1% before to find it lacking in taste). Practically everyone I know prefers 2% or maybe 1%; the only people I know who consistently prefers whole milk were my grandparents.

For a while, my grocery store started selling milks in glass bottle from a well-known local dairy farm. I have since been buying that product because the taste is *exceptional*, and well worth the extra price (actually, only maybe 50 cents above the market price, plus two dollar deposit for the bottle). Of course, there's people who swears that we should all be drinking raw milk because pasterurization destroy lot of essential nurients. Not quite sure if I want to do that, though.

So I figure I'd ask everyone else here: How do you like your milk and why?

(A poll coming up)
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-07-26, 08:30

Ah, yes 2% is the best. I've had non-pasteurized milk before, and it's pretty good... but I'm so used to the pasteurized taste that I'm not willing to put forth the extra effort to find, buy, and make sure it doesn't spoil.

Have you ever had milk that had gone way bad? One of the few times I drank non-pasteurized milk it was bad... very bad. It's the strangest thing, it felt as though there were hairs in my mouth for the next five minutes regardless of what I tried to chase it with.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-07-26, 08:32

How come Homo milk isn't on the list? Don't Yankees drink Homo milk? I don't, but it seems to be fairly popular at the grocery store.

I voted 2%. It's the only milk worth drinking. But I'll settle for 1% in a pinch.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-07-26, 08:32

I thought Homo milk=whole milk?
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-07-26, 08:33

We have a "raw milk underground railroad" here in Brooklyn. Trying to buy it is not unlike... well, not unlike buying drugs as discussed in that other thread.

Haven't tried it myself. But I was raised on skim -- and can drink it without displeasure as a result. Nonetheless, for 10 additional calories per glass, I'll drink 2% these days without a moment's guilt or concern.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-07-26, 08:35

You're right, whole milk=homo milk. You learn something new everyday.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-07-26, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
I thought Homo milk=whole milk?
I assumed Homo is a reference to Homogenized. We don't even have a choice on this side of the pond. All of our milk is homogenized. The only way to get non-homogenized milk is the same as how you would find non-pasteurized milk... you either have to find a farmer or a black market.

Is non-homogenized milk still sold commercially over there? Does it taste different?

Speaking of world milk options, perhaps you should also add UHT super-pasteurized milk to the list. It doesn't need refrigeration (until you open it), and is often the only kind of milk to be found in Latin America. It's pretty awful. You can find it here in the States, too... people often use it for camping trips and the like.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-07-26, 08:43

I can drink 2%, 1% or skim, but I greatly prefer skim. We switched from 2% to skim when I was a kid, and I resisted at first. Now I drink skim milk all the time. In fact, it's one of my favorite drinks.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-07-26, 08:53

I have grown up on 2% but I almost prefer 1% because they taste the same to me with less fat and cals. I would say though that 95% of the time, I drink 2%.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-07-26, 08:54

I can't drink anything less than whole milk, straight. I find milk rather disgusting myself, and I generally far prefer soy milk. One time I had a glass of whole milk and it was actually really good, but that's for obvious reasons. I haven't had a glass of the stuff since, but at least I know I can drink it without retching.

For things like chocolate milk or milk to put on cereal, I again prefer soy, but 2% will do in a pinch if it's the only thing available or if I'm shopping for myself and I want to save money.

My brother is one of those crazy lunatics who actually prefers skim milk and won't drink anything else. Skim milk is the worst; it tastes like dirty water. Gross.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-07-26, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
I assumed Homo is a reference to Homogenized. We don't even have a choice on this side of the pond. All of our milk is homogenized. The only way to get non-homogenized milk is the same as how you would find non-pasteurized milk... you either have to find a farmer or a black market.

Is non-homogenized milk still sold commercially over there? Does it taste different?

Speaking of world milk options, perhaps you should also add UHT super-pasteurized milk to the list. It doesn't need refrigeration (until you open it), and is often the only kind of milk to be found in Latin America. It's pretty awful. You can find it here in the States, too... people often use it for camping trips and the like.
My impression is that all of milks sold commerically are homogenized; the difference being in how much cream has been skimmed from the body. I'm also under the impression that buying raw milk is illegal (but not sure about that). Apparently, the wiki says that non homogenized milk is making a comeback in some small areas in US.

As for UHT... I never have had seen such milk, except for powder milk and refuse to touch that stuff.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-07-26, 09:15

I think the distribution of raw milk is illegal (not only buying/selling, but giving it away is banned), but the consumption of it is not - thus farmers can drink from their own stock's yield.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-07-26, 09:16

UHT milk comprises about 75% of the market in Switzerland. It comes in tetra bricks or plastic bottles, and in skim, 2% and whole. Not bad, really, and super convenient. Shelf life is about 3 months.

I don't drink milk but for a splash in my coffee, and then I like whole milk best, 2% in a pinch, but skim kills a nice cup of Joe.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-07-26, 09:20

We typically buy 3.5%, but used to get raw when the neighbor still had enough cows.

BTW? You're all pussies.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-26, 09:22

No milk at all for me. No tolerance for lactose. I've tried all the "lactose-free" shit and that's what it is, it tastes like shit. haha

Oh well, I think I'm doing just fine with no milk.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-07-26, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
We typically buy 3.5%, but used to get raw when the neighbor still had enough cows.
3.5% = Whole milk, apparently. (And all time I thought whole=100%... silly me)

How do you like it raw?
beardedmacuser

2007-07-26, 09:23

When I was a child we had goats, and I remember often drinking the milk still warm from the goat!
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-07-26, 09:24

Quote:
How do you like it raw?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedmacuser View Post
When I was a child we had goats, and I remember often drinking the milk still warm from the goat!

Oh boy x 2.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-07-26, 09:27

Quote:
Yuck. Goat milk is gross.
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-07-26, 09:28

We always buy 1%. Used to drink 2% as a kid, drank skim for a while... 1% is a good medium. No too thick and gross like 3.5%... disgusting. Yay, let's drink us some fat. Blech.

Oh, BTW:

¡Damned!

2007-07-26, 09:28

Whole milk only for cereal, half and half sometimes with coffee, heavy cream for pasta sauces.
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-07-26, 09:29

Half and half when I'm playing The Dude and having a White Russian.
¡Damned!

2007-07-26, 09:30

That too.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-07-26, 09:31

Quote:
3.5% = Whole milk, apparently.
Ah, that's possible. I don't taste much of a difference either way.

[I just checked Wikipedia, and it says "whole" is roughly 3.25%]

That said, our neighbor's milk was always a lot more likely to build up quite a layer of cream…

Quote:
How do you like it raw?

Quote:
My father had to drink goat milk a lot during his teenage years. Post-war days and all.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-07-26, 09:33

Soy milk here ... off the top of my head I can't think of another mammal that drinks another mammal's milk. I believe that the essential nutrients you need as a growing baby come from the mother. Hence cow's milk is intended for calves and mother's milk (human breast milk) is for babies ... or murbot.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-26, 09:44

Always grew up drinking whole milk. Then started with the 2% stuff a few years ago. I like it because it's a good blend. Skim milk is white water and I want nothing to do with it.
BenP

2007-07-26, 10:15

I'm allergic to milk and don't really like soy, although I'll drink it occasionally.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-07-26, 10:24

When I was little, we drank whole milk. But my mom was getting migraines, and one of her diet changes was switching to 2 milk. So I got used to that, then I decided that I liked 1% better because it "tasted colder", whatever that means. I still prefer 1%, but my gf drinks skim, which to me tastes warm again like whole milk. So i'm adapting to that because, as we all know 1. gf always wins and 2. you never go back up with your milk fat content.

I don't mind vanilla soy milk at all, just never got in the habit of getting it.

Warm milk is good at night too, even if it isn't as effective a sedative as old ladies would have you believe. make sure you warm it up enough though.
beardedmacuser

2007-07-26, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Yuck. Goat milk is gross.
If you drink goat's milk expecting it to taste like bland supermarket cows milk, then it'll taste pretty odd. If you learn to savour it's own unique goatiness, including hints of what the goats may have been eating, then it's an experience in it's own right!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-26, 10:27

I just puked...quite an experience in its own right, too.