Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Finder Issues

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Finder Issues
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-07-04, 01:45

I'm having a problem with the way my Finder displays things. I like to view my HD's contents in the list view, but whenever I go down a directory/open a sub-folder it displays all the items in the scatered view. When I am viewing a dir. in the list view I have "all windows" selected under view options, but this does not seem to work. Any suggestions?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-07-04, 02:03

Many installers write .DS_Store files to your computer - as root so you can't modify or delete them - which tells the Finder to display a folder a certain way.

Yes, it sucks. There are numerous ways of deleting them, searching in the usual places (google "DS_Store removal", VersionTracker etc) should find a solution.

Barto

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-07-04, 02:09

Hmm, but this is happenining in basically all of the folders, even system folders. *sigh* I will try what you have mentioned, hopefully it will solve things.

Thank you for your time.

Schvoo

Send a message via AIM to Schvoo  
2004-07-04, 11:33

In your finder preferences (Menu Bar-->Finder-->Preferences) under advanced, check the box labeled "always open new folders in column view".
HOM
The Elder™

2004-07-04, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvoo
In your finder preferences (Menu Bar-->Finder-->Preferences) under advanced, check the box labeled "always open new folders in column view".
Except that Sh0eWax specifically wants to have all his windows open in List view not Column view.

The Finder is a mess and there is no way to have all windows default to List view. You can have new windows, as in hitting Command N, default to List view, but not all windows.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-04, 14:10

Man... I find it amazing how poorly Apple has done with allowing the user to organize and view Finder windows the way they want to, all the time. Things were great in System 7... there was the staggered grid, and you could select a global "snap to grid," and that was basically it. OS 8.0 and 8.1 sucked that way, you had to change all windows to the grid manually, with no global setting. They fixed it in 8.5.1 and it stayed fixed until OS X, and now you have this problem again.

NEED STANDARD VIEWS JUST LIKE OS 9.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-07-04, 16:30

Not to mention the fact that I do not have that option under the advanced tab of my Finder preferences. All I have is "show all file extensions..." and "show warning before..."

Sigh I guess I'll just learn to live with this.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-04, 16:39

It's in the General tab.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-07-04, 16:55

Ahh, well I had that marked anyway.