AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iPhone and Foxconn sitting in a tree...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone and Foxconn sitting in a tree...
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-11-15, 10:53

According to a report hitting all the rumor sites today, Foxconn has landed the iPhone contract with a target date of mid 2007. While all that is fine and dandy, my question is do you think the preverbal iPhone will coincide with the 6G iPod release or do you think the iPhone will be the 6G iPhone?

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-11-15, 15:23

It wouldn't make sense for them to merge the iPod with a phone. Too many people like the iPod that have little to do with Apple outside of that. Not to mention that most of the market for this would be contingent on people having cell service with the iPhone's carrier. Few are willing to change cell carriers based only on a phone.

If it were thrown in there (like video in the 5G iPod) without costing more, that would be different. I don't see that happening though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-11-15, 15:39

I don't think the 6G iPod will just happen to be a phone - I think the iPhone will be a different animal entirely.

And I think it is coming. Finally.

We didn't see any new iPods at MWSF '06. MWSF '07 might make up for it, though..."true" video iPod + iPod phone = bliss.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-11-15, 15:40

I think Roboman's right on. The new iPod and iPhone will be totally separate items, but they'll both debut at MWSF this January, shipping immediately.
rasmits
rams it

2006-11-15, 16:48

A couple days ago I was trying to figure out how long the iPhone rumors have been flying around. I found an article on Daring Fireball dating back to 2002, and that certainly wasn't the first mention of an iPhone. That's nearly five years ago.

I'll believe in the iPhone when I see it. In fact, I'm sick of it already. Pardon my cynicism.

You had me at asl
MagSafe

2006-11-15, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
I'll believe in the iPhone when I see it. In fact, I'm sick of it already. Pardon my cynicism.
Completey agree, i've been holding off buying a new mobile phone for a year now, and back then it was on its last legs ... now its just begging to be replaced

I think for MWSF '07 they'll be the release of the true Video iPod, similar in size to the 60GB iPod but the entire white area filled with a touch screen. As well as it having 100GB+ storage space it will have PDA features such as being able to edit your iCal and Address Book and sync them with your mac, also ... a possible introduction to flash memory instead of a hard drive.

I seriously doubt Apple will bring out an "iPhone", it just seems to complicated for them to get into that sort of market and arrange contracts with different networks around the world etc. etc etc.

Actually, on thinking more into MWSF '07 it's going to pretty exciting because there isn't really any obvious things Apple will be unveiling, with the exception of iLife & iWork ofcourse ... last year new macs were what were all over the rumour sites but we've had plenty of them this year ... maybe they'll release a brand new model altogether ... who knows?

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
dfiler
Veteran Member

2006-11-15, 18:29

Ultimately, I think there is room for only one electronic device in each consumer's pockets. At some point, the two will be merged and a whole new market segment will be opened up to apple. That segment is comprised of the people who need a phone and would like iPod functionality but aren't willing to be encumbered by an additional device.

But the technology and interface design doesn't seem to be quite there yet. So in the mean time, I would expect stand-alone iPods and phones to coexist.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-11-15, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Not to mention that most of the market for this would be contingent on people having cell service with the iPhone's carrier...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagSafe View Post
I seriously doubt Apple will bring out an "iPhone", it just seems to complicated for them to get into that sort of market and arrange contracts with different networks around the world etc. etc etc.
Unless they go the MVNO route, which, knowing Apple with the whole vertical integration thing, is the most likely option. Especially considering that Cingular, the likely candidate for iPhone's network, just released their competitor to the iTS...

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
rasmits
rams it

2006-11-15, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Unless they go the MVNO route, which, knowing Apple with the whole vertical integration thing, is the most likely option. Especially considering that Cingular, the likely candidate for iPhone's network, just released their competitor to the iTS...
I just can't seriously consider the Apple Mobile Network as a plausible solution.

Nearly everyone already has a cell phone, and therefore, a cell service. Apple would be asking everyone to drop their contract and switch to the Apple network (which would have no history or reliability rating in the industry) all because of a new phone. That would be suicide for the "iPhone".

Not only that, but I think an MVNO is an instant way to cheapen a brand name. Nike is a strong brand, but could you imagine how lame a Nike cell service would be? Ford? McDonalds? Apple has one of the strongest brands in the world and using it on an MVNO is a very bad idea, in my opinion.

Yes, an MVNO would be an easy way to ensure the failure of the iPhone.

You had me at asl
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-11-15, 20:17

I think that's what he's saying. If they were to do this, then MVNO would be their route. This goes back to my statement at the beginning though, why would someone was to change companies just for a phone?

Based on this, the iPhone is out.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-11-15, 20:48

Quote:
I just can't seriously consider the Apple Mobile Network as a plausible solution.

Nearly everyone already has a cell phone, and therefore, a cell service. Apple would be asking everyone to drop their contract and switch to the Apple network (which would have no history or reliability rating in the industry) all because of a new phone. That would be suicide for the "iPhone".

Not only that, but I think an MVNO is an instant way to cheapen a brand name. Nike is a strong brand, but could you imagine how lame a Nike cell service would be? Ford? McDonalds? Apple has one of the strongest brands in the world and using it on an MVNO is a very bad idea, in my opinion.

Yes, an MVNO would be an easy way to ensure the failure of the iPhone.
1) In what way does being an MNVO automatically destroy your brand? The fact that the majority of cell phone companies suck has tainted the industry, yes, which is even more reason Apple should go it alone to avoid that taint. Given the option between attaching its brand to Cingular and building a brand from the equity within Apple's brand, I don't think that is an unrealistic assumption.

2) Had I been thinking about it harder when I posted, I would have said something along the lines of "Unless they go the MVNO route, which, knowing Apple with the whole vertical integration thing, is a much better choice than going with Cingular." I think the most likely option at this point is unlocked GSM, much like the Samsung D900, because it exempts them from dealing with the cell phone carriers completely.

3) You still can't rule the MNVO out, though. Apple is used to selling a premium product to a small market segment. The iPod, for better or worse, is a fluke, in the respect that it managed to nab 70% marketshare in just five years. I think that if you had asked Jobs about the iPod's future was in 2001, he would have told you that it was meant to be a premium product for most Mac users and a handful of PC enthusiasts only, and was perfectly content to let Rio and Creative churn out junk for the masses. The massive takeoff And if you had told him there would eventually be an $79 iPod, he probably would've called you crazy.

The iPod is far more than anyone ever expected it to be. It is unrealistic to think of an iPhone in the same light, nor is it critical for the iPhone's success. The iPhone isn't meant to be the iPod of cell phones and probably never will be - the market is far too saturated with products that are good enough, unlike the MP3 market five years ago which was full of cheap or overpriced junk.

Furthermore, most cell phone contracts last 12-18 months. Is it unreasonable to expect that people would let them expire, and then buy an iPhone? No, not at all. And I bet Apple is willing to wait that out.

Finally, there are certainly advantages associated with complete vertical integration, such as bringing the store to mobile devices. Just a thought, though.

World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-11-15, 23:10

The biggest thing I see that an iPhone has for it is that it would introduce Americans to the world of Korean phones. We here in the states don't have many cool phones, while in the far East everyone can watch live TV and video conference on their cell. This has a lot to do with service, but the hardware itself is ahead of the western world by a ways. Risky move for Apple non-the-less.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-11-16, 03:14

Quote:
“This data point is in line with our expectations that a cell phone could be discussed in January at Macworld with limited sales by February and broader distribution in spring 2007,” UBS analyst Benjamin Reitzes wrote in a research note.
12 million iPhones ordered
http://www.redherring.com/Article.as...Communications
MagSafe

2006-11-16, 04:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
yikes, well, who'd have thought
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-11-16, 09:15

Yes, this is truly a smoking gun.

Guess its gonna happen then.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-11-16, 09:38

I knew keeping that money under my mattress was a good idea...

So can we expect a shit-brown colour botched 'Pune' from late 2007? After all the Zune is just a cut down remodeled PDA, which never sold, isn't it?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-11-16, 10:14

Potential spec details...

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2242

Nothing terribly exciting. However, the 2 MP camera would indicate that they're not going for the ultra-high-end of the phone spectrum. 2 MP is pretty standard for a nice camera phone, so it's not spec whoring like some people have expected.

One analyst has called for the phone to retail for $200-300 unlocked. If that's the case, I really expect these things to move.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
TeraHz

Send a message via ICQ to TeraHz  
2006-11-16, 14:24

Or maybe Jobs just decided to make an iPhone because of the rummors, not the other way around. He probably said sometime last year:"Hey these guys want an iPhone, let's make one..."

Just an idea...
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-11-16, 17:42

Spring 2007?

That's:

a) My birthday.

b) When my Sprint contract expires.

OTOH, is it possible that the article linked above is wrong, and actually about a new iPod, not an iPhone? Just a thought...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-11-16, 18:01

I'll buy it as long as it isn't a cheap piece of crap that can't do anything other than call someone. I need far more than basic features and being able to sync my contacts is hardly enough.

I'm really looking forward to this phone though because Apple's rep for quality is really good.

appl156

2006-11-16, 19:03

I believe the ipod 6G and the iphone will both be "touch sensitive". I think this because apple is not one who likes to 'clutter' thier devices with buttons therefore, they will build the numeric pad into a thouch sensitive screen. Once apple masters this touch sensitive technology they will be able to release the iphone and 6G ipod.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-11-16, 22:37

Well I just went and upgraded my crappy old Motorola, so expect the new iPhone as early as next week.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-11-17, 01:40

I'm so torn when it comes to a multi-function device. On the one hand, every multifx device I've ever tried has been woefully inadequate. OTOH, my desire for one that just works never declines. If we could get one that just worked right I'm sure it would sell like hotcakes. I'd love to be able to have my cell phone and iPod in one as long as neither felt like a compromise. Add in some 3G goodness and a capable browser (like the one on this Nokia e61 I'm typing on right now - which happens to be built using Webkit) and we'd be onto something.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2006-11-17, 04:37

If you can't wind the ear phone cord around a portable music player, it's not a portable music player.

*That's* why actually there are still no cell phones that are portable music players as well, even though everyone on earth claims the opposite.

I'm *very* curious how Apple has solved this (I suppose they have, they owe it to their brand reputation ).
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-11-17, 05:23

Quote:
I think the most likely option at this point is unlocked GSM, much like the Samsung D900, because it exempts them from dealing with the cell phone carriers completely
I like this idea the best. Unlike other phones, the iPhone should be designed to last several generations. It's not something you'd throw away and trade-in for the next best thing. It's a premium product you're willing to pay full price for. As an unlocked phone, you get to choose Cingular or T-Mobile, and it also doesn't leave non-US customers out to dry.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2006-11-17, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Yes, this is truly a smoking gun.

Guess its gonna happen then.
Unforunately, not really.

There have been rumored orders in the past that got everyone all confused. They were reported as being for new products but were really for a minor revision of an existing product. One even involved FoxConn.
Baron Munchausen

2006-11-17, 12:49

Urrr...why all the chat about mobile networks? Is it such in the US that you have no option but to buy a locked phone? In the UK there is a thriving unlock market (£10 to unlock) and people do buy phones, especially in the sort of market the iPhone is likely to hit, and then get a sim-only account.

As for cables stopping phones being an MP3 player, I wonder if we will see a bluetooth headphone option? Will the iPhone be the FIRST phone-MP3 not to demand you use the crappy manufacturers' headset via a proprietary connector? Nokia has not yet realised that people do NOT want their garbage buds via some ghastly plastic connector (e.g. my Nokia 6230 and now 6233).
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-11-17, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Munchausen View Post
Urrr...why all the chat about mobile networks? Is it such in the US that you have no option but to buy a locked phone? In the UK there is a thriving unlock market (£10 to unlock) and people do buy phones, especially in the sort of market the iPhone is likely to hit, and then get a sim-only account.
Only two of our major providers use GSM, T-Mobile and Cingular. The two others use CDMA, which don't use SIM cards and are locked to that carrier. Even if you managed to unlock them, I think Verizon and Sprint are on different frequencies so you still couldn't use it with another carrier. Plus, US users are used to dirt-cheap phones, but unlocked phones sell for above $300, last time I checked, for one with features beyond simple calling.

So while Apple could release it unlocked, I don't think signing up for a plan with it is something Joe Sixpack could handle.

edit: Re: Bluetooth headphones. I doubt it. It's one more thing to keep charged and not lose and I'm sure audio quality would greatly suffer.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2006-11-17, 22:14

Quote:
A couple days ago I was trying to figure out how long the iPhone rumors have been flying around. I found an article on Daring Fireball dating back to 2002, and that certainly wasn't the first mention of an iPhone. That's nearly five years ago.

I'll believe "true video iPod" when I see it. iPhone I can believe.

Even if it wasn't unlocked, why would they have to choose a network? Couldn't they be on both? GSM, as discussed in the past, is the only way for them to go I think (think global).
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-11-18, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
So while Apple could release it unlocked, I don't think signing up for a plan with it is something Joe Sixpack could handle.
Apple isn't interested in Joe Sixpack. If Joe Sixpack becomes interested in Apple, like what happened with the iPod, so be it. But Apple isn't going to cater specifically to him.

Unlocked GSM for the win. I mean, come on. What are the other options? Cingular? Blech. MVNO? Incredibly high risk.