scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-08-16, 22:50

*snikkers*
losslesshead

Send a message via AIM to losslesshead  
2005-08-16, 22:55

They didn't ven spell Microsoft right! It's supposed to be Micro$oft!
scrouds

2005-08-16, 23:08

so that's why the computer systems at work crashed and kept trying to reboot themselves.
Akumulator

2005-08-17, 00:34

Yeah, I was at work when the 'puters went down. It's like having a snow day.

Turns out to not be that bad... they're back up now. The best thing about it was seeing Lou Dobbs going ape shit on the router feed before they finally got his show on air.
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2005-08-17, 01:05

Point and Laugh People, Point and Laugh...
Akumulator

2005-08-17, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmahe19
Point and Laugh People, Point and Laugh...
Actually yeah..... it was a good day for Apple in a round about way. First people stampede for $50 used 4 year old iBooks and then Microsoft gets reamed all day long on CNN for getting yet another worm/virus/trojan ...what the fuck ever. It's only bad for M$ and good for Apple and for once in my life can I agree with Dvorak..... Microsoft is dead in the water .

Once OS X is out on PCs and eventually available to all PC owners, it will become the OS of choice.

Last edited by Akumulator : 2005-08-17 at 01:36.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-17, 01:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
Once OS X is out on PCs and eventually available to all PC owners, it will become the OS of choice.

But that's another thread

And Dvorak is still a clown.
infoterror

2005-08-17, 01:40

Quote:
It's out. Let's see what happens. It's at least good competition for the KDE/XP folks.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-17, 01:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoterror
It's out. Let's see what happens. It's at least good competition for the KDE/XP folks.

It is not out. It's been made available by some hacker somewhere. However, it's a beta version of OS X for Intel. The final version won't be usable on anything other than a Mactel. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that will always be the case.

Come waste your time with me
infoterror

2005-08-17, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026

It is not out. It's been made available by some hacker somewhere. However, it's a beta version of OS X for Intel. The final version won't be usable on anything other than a Mactel. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that will always be the case.
I dunno, man, but I'm looking at a machine running it right now. Want ISOs? That'll prove it to you
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-17, 01:52

Quote:
I dunno, man, but I'm looking at a machine running it right now. Want ISOs? That'll prove it to you
Did you read my post? Even if the final version of OS X for Intel is hacked for use on a generic Intel box, it will never be licensed for sale for use with anything other than a Mac. The bottom line is that even if it happens, it will never be supported by Apple and therefore it will be more trouble than it's worth. Furthermore, it's stealing, plain and simple. Software piracy is illegal.

Come waste your time with me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-17, 02:30

Quote:
Let's stick to the original subject instead of derailing on this OS X on x86 tangent.

Furthermore:
Quote:
Posting requests or information about obtaining pirated or illegally-distributed software is prohibited. Any and all such posts may be removed without warning. If the offending member continues with such posts, he or she is subject to immediate suspension from the forums for any amount of time the administrators or moderators deem necessary.
infoterror

2005-08-17, 02:32

Quote:
Did you read my post? Even if the final version of OS X for Intel is hacked for use on a generic Intel box, it will never be licensed for sale for use with anything other than a Mac. The bottom line is that even if it happens, it will never be supported by Apple and therefore it will be more trouble than it's worth. Furthermore, it's stealing, plain and simple. Software piracy is illegal.
Yet half the people here approve of it as some crypto-marketing scheme. Go whine to them.

It won't be supported by Apple but let's face reality: piracy is a fact of life and the operating system will spread. So apple had better come up with a new marketing plan (lol).

PCs aren't the regular old Apple world. But they've decided to cross that line, so now they're going to have to adapt to the competition, or be relegated to rebranding Korean mp3 players as iPods.
infoterror

2005-08-17, 02:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Furthermore:
Convenient way to avoid seeing the proof, but it's why I didn't simply post the torrent link!
Akumulator

2005-08-17, 02:39

Quote:

But that's another thread

Sorry if there's another thread...... I don't read AppleNova much anymore.... and I agree Dvorak is a clown, sure.... but I think he's right in saying that if you look at MS and Apple and see that there's money to be made in the OS and not just hardware..... Apple is ripe to step in and assume MS's role as the main OS. Apple probably should, and probably eventually will, make it's move to become the OS of choice. Why wouldn't Apple if the opportunity is there? OS X is rock solid, has no viruses and is supported on Intel. Move over Windows......... Apple's moving in.

Edit: Also, what has MS even done in the last couple years? It's mearly sustained itself as the major platform. Longhorn (Vista) is loooooong overdue . How will it even compare to OS X by the time it's released?

Last edited by Akumulator : 2005-08-17 at 02:42.
infoterror

2005-08-17, 02:41

Quote:
Why wouldn't Apple if the opportunity is there?
For the same reason they haven't despite promising that plan of action since 1984?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-08-17, 02:41

Quote:
PCs aren't the regular old Apple world. But they've decided to cross that line, so now they're going to have to adapt to the competition, or be relegated to rebranding Korean mp3 players as iPods.

What?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-08-17, 07:40

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....

Weren't we talking about the worm that wiped out a load of news outlets pcs?

I'm confused, surely a organisation the size of CNN, ABC etc have good security practices...? Was the description of the vulnerability released before the patch? And if so, why? Who is that stupid?

Oh..hang on....I know the answer to that last one..
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-17, 09:20

Quote:
Yeah, that's got to be still true - did you know he used to be a wine writer before moving to tech?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
Meanwhile, back at the ranch....Weren't we talking about the worm that wiped out a load of news outlets pcs?

I'm confused, surely a organisation the size of CNN, ABC etc have good security practices...? Was the description of the vulnerability released before the patch? And if so, why? Who is that stupid?

Oh..hang on....I know the answer to that last one..
I know this sounds a bit nasty - Schadenfreude is unpleasant - but I find new reports like this really heartening - people run bad software, badly, and they expect to get away with it - the fools

On your point Bryson about large organisations - I spend a proportion of my time with one of the large (global) consultancies and we spend vast sums of money both in the UK and abroad to ensure our systems are compatible internationally and secure. The practical reality is that the systems are very insecure and when there are significant security outbreaks, the IT teams frantically struggle to keep laptops from being infected, routinely block all email atttachments and shut down, for days, both internet access and web-based internal drop-box facilities for large files. From inside the business it looks shambolic, it is a good thing our clients don't see this!

For a serious problem the whole thing can last days. I'd have expected that we could simply cascade (via Marimba castanet) a patch within hours around every network PC. My IT head says apparaently not. In these days when we talk much of terrorist attack, cybersecurity and redundancy systems, I am amazed at how poor our Windows network really is.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2005-08-17, 11:20

I find it interesting that the news networks are so self-involved that it almost seems as if this worm only targetted them. I actually thought to myself, "Did this worm affect anybody else? Do I need to worry about my work PC? Or is it just CNN, etc.?" Of course I realized the answer pretty quickly, but still.

Ugh.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-08-17, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug
I find it interesting that the news networks are so self-involved that it almost seems as if this worm only targetted them. I actually thought to myself, "Did this worm affect anybody else? Do I need to worry about my work PC? Or is it just CNN, etc.?" Of course I realized the answer pretty quickly, but still.
Given their propensity to lemming around the same feeds, sources, and stories, it is somehow unsurprising that a single infection would propagate so quickly. So little creativity and originality that they're all drinking from the same cup... ergo when one coughs, all get sick.

Ditto the downstream bureaus... media conglomerates that sack local and regional staff and rely on centralized feeds in order to distribute basically the same story in every market are going to distribute (cue surprised look) the same infection to all the drones in their email list.

A ClearChannel virus would wipe out almost 1000 radio stations nationwide. A Murdoch virus...

Perhaps it's payback from the platform gods for slavishly worshiping Windows and ignoring more stable and secure platforms all these years... nah, that'd be too obvious.
infoterror

2005-08-17, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
I'm confused, surely a organisation the size of CNN, ABC etc have good security practices...? Was the description of the vulnerability released before the patch?
They cannot secure their UNIX boxes - what makes you think they can secure a PC?