Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why toyota will take over the world...stupid GM
Page 1 of 7 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-08-07, 08:58

ok, gas prices going through the roof, global warming on everybodies tongue

so what does GM do?? bring back the EV1? would be easy enough, i'm sure they have all the molds and such. Improve the EV1? Bring out 3 or 4 new hybrids??

No, nope, nada, not GM...they bring back the Camero with a 6 and 8 cylinder engine...yeah, just want we need...another gas guzzling muscle car....sigh

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14217560/from/RS.1/

grrrrrrr...i don't mind if they bring the camero back, just bring back the EV1 too...or at least some good hybrids...and not in 2 or 3 years...freakin now

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-08-07, 09:01

I thought it was because GM's cars blow, now you're telling me they suck?

I'm so confused.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-08-07, 09:02

You'll see some apologetic zealotring post from a certain member soon.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-08-07, 09:04

Someone needs to tell GM to bring back the Common Sense.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-08-07, 09:04

chucker: Well duh, why do you think I was trolling?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-08-07, 09:05

Someone needs to tell toyota to make cars, not back to the future toys.
initialsBB

2006-08-07, 09:05

Hummer has been trying to sell their cars here... don't need to be a genius to figure out that at 6 to 7 dollars a gallon, it's not gonna work...
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-08-07, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
Might want to take a quick look at the financial sheets before deciding which company is in the wrong century.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-08-07, 09:08

I'm just saying. I'd never buy one of their Hybrid cars, the look like crap.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-08-07, 09:09

Quote:
If "back to the future" implies high-quality, modern technology, unparalleled reliability and decent pricing, I'll take two. Toyota is so far ahead (and deserves to be) it's not even funny.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-08-07, 09:09

Eh? They look just like their normal cars. Maybe you're a couple years behind on your info?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-07, 09:10

I dig that new Camaro, the way it looks (and I'm not a Camaro person, either...never was into them). But this new one is slick, at least in appearances.

But I realize that's not the angle of this thread...hang on...

This new Camaro SUCKS!!! How dare GM go and do this!!!

chucker

2006-08-07, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
chucker: Well duh, why do you think I was trolling?
Yeah, I know.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2006-08-07, 09:11

mmmm, well the camry hybrid looks just the same as the non hybrid camry, the highlander hybrid looks just like the standard highlander

i don't mind the other one they have...still waiting for the Rav4 or CRV to go hybrid

g

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-07, 09:12

I bet within five years, everything will be so.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-08-07, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I dig that new Camaro, the way it looks (and I'm not a Camaro person, either...never was into them). But this new one is slick, at least in appearances.

But I realize that's not the angle of this thread...hang on...

This new Camaro SUCKS!!! How dare GM go and do this!!!

I have to say, I love most of the reborn muscle cars for looks. Wouldn't buy one, but they do look sweet.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-08-07, 09:14

I just think Hybrids don't really do anything. As most the time you're driving over 25mph.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2006-08-07, 09:14

paul, yeah the new camero looks pretty cool in a batmobile way...not sure i would buy one though, even if gas was 1 buck a gallon...at 3 and rising i wouldn't even think of one

as i said, i don't mind that they are making it, just that they bring this out in no time flat yet say they can't bring out a hybrid or anything else unless they work on it for 8 years or so

g

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-08-07, 09:15

Quote:
I'm just saying. I'd never buy one of their Hybrid cars, the look like crap.
I wouldn't buy a hybrid either, but that's because I'm on the diesel bandwagon. I think the only car on the road that gets better city mileage is a hybrid and I get BETTER highway mileage. But GM is trying to make us all cringe while they spiral into oblivion? WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY THINKING?

Just this morning I heard that BP had to shutdown its Alaska pipeline because of a leak and that it could cause oil to go up another $10 a barrel. If that linearly translates into gas prices, we're talking an average of $3.40 a gallon within the week.

Also, anyone considering a hybrid car really should consider looking at a diesel car. They get comparable mileage, are cheaper and can run on renewable biodiesel (which is not subject to the craziness that is the mid-east) with no modification.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-08-07, 09:17

Something like a Camaro is a toy, albeit cheaper than a Jaguar XK coupe or any other gas guzzler.

Simply replacing today's cars with hybrid, battery or fuel-cell powered ones doesn't solve the real problem. Eventually we're going to have reduce our dependence on the family car rather than minimize the pollution caused by it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-08-07, 09:20

Quote:
Simply replacing today's cars with hybrid, battery or fuel-cell powered ones doesn't solve the real problem. Eventually we're going to have reduce our dependence on the family car rather than minimize the pollution caused by it.
What is the "real" problem? IMHO, it's using non-renewable resources to power our vehicles. The size of the vehicles isn't really the issue.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-08-07, 09:22

Oy, that's a much bigger problem, Eug.

I like the biodiesel approach too, but the FlexCar being stealth deployed was an interesting tactic. (I don't think it was on purpose, which is stupid, but at least they're *starting* to wake up...)
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-08-07, 09:29

Well, I would buy a hybrid, or a diesel, or a plug-in diesel-electric hybrid -- which would be the best near and mid term solution.

Rumour, by the way, has it that the next Prius will come fitted with a plug-in provision to top up the batteries when parked...

Yes, that Camaro (concept) looks good, but it is a toy, just like a Jag, or Mustang, or any convertible/coupe. Let's first see if it survivies the transition into production form --- something that GM often botches.

If I were buying a toy, though, I think I would go for a Miata or a Mini, or a Smart, or a Vespa, Ducati, or a Harley; not neccessarily in that order.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-07, 09:35

I guess that's the trend, these muscle care revamps. The Charger is out, and I saw where the Challenger is being brought back as well. And there's another one whose name I can't remember. And then this Camaro.

Tapping into that nostalgia thing. In 25 years, there will be cars that vaguely resemble the Aztec or a Saturn sedan.

I usually trust the market to deal with stuff like this, naturally. If most folks are of the opinion that this is an idiotic waste of time (when they should be making more fuel-efficient cars or various kinds), that'll reflect in their sales. Always a smidgen of people out there to buy these niche type offerings. Probably not enough to sustain it beyond a year or two (Ford already yanked the T-Bird). And I can see the Charger being gone soon.

People probably just don't think that way anymore (gas prices, etc.).

Why not split the difference: fuel-efficient or hybrid type vehicles, sporting snazzy classic or retro-heavy designs? Best of both: a smart, gas-saving car that doesn't look like a granolamobile.

I'd be interested in that. I'm not a hotrodder or performance freak, and I'm not going to be out dragracing and driving like an idiot (but I DO want to be able to go a smooth 70mph on the freeway with no fuss). But if I could get a fuel-efficient or hybrid car that LOOKED as cool as some of these classic designs, I'd jump on that, sure.

Someday, one of these companies will figure that out and start doing it, and it'll be HUGE (and you guys can all say "Hey, Paul mentioned that a few years ago in that thread...").

Put that above Camaro shell on a Prius chassis and give me a metallic copper option? By all means.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-08-07, 09:38

Quote:
Best of both: a smart, gas-saving car that doesn't look like a granolamobile.
My Golf doesn't look like a granolamobile! That is, until I slap a few biodiesel stickers on it!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-08-07, 09:39

Dude, it's called a *Golf*. As in golfcart. As in old people who can't walk.

That's a lot of uncool to overcome there, bucko...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-07, 09:44

I meant no offense with "granolamobile", mind you. But some of these little hybrid or ultra-efficient "putt putt" cars have a certain look about them. And it's not one I dig, that's all. Some are coming around, looking more like regular cars and not screaming "I get 175mpg but can't go over 42mph", so it's a process. I'm sure, in time, you won't be able to tell the difference.

But some of the early ones? Dear me...

I'm saying we CAN have our cake and eat it too!

Mikester

2006-08-07, 09:45

$3 a gallon? You guys just don't know how good you've got it over there - here in the UK its almost £1 a litre! That's almost $6 a gallon.

That Camaro is sweet.

"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further" - The Great Gatsby
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-08-07, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester
$3 a gallon? You guys just don't know how good you've got it over there - here in the UK its almost £1 a litre! That's almost $6 a gallon.

That Camaro is sweet.
Oh, come on! You get universal health care. I'd take that over cheap gas.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-08-07, 09:47

Pblt. Universal health care is a red herring. :P