My Predictions for the Mac in 2006

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
My Predictions for the Mac in 2006
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-16, 18:32

Macworld has come and past, and it has painted a clearer picture of what the rest of 2006 will look like. Apple has not "downplayed" the fact that their computers are now using Intel processors, nor have they even treated it like a normal processor jump - no, they surprised us all with an "Apple + Intel" ad and a whole new section of their online store devoted to the "New Intel Macs." Even if they rushed the Yonah iMac and MacBook Pro out in time for Macworld, there's no doubt that they've hit the ground running.

So let's turn to the rest of 2006, and see what they have in store for us.

Note to Pscates: This is speculation.

Mac OS

The most important news this year - and I do mean this year - will be Leopard. (I still think we'll see it in late 2006 - I don't see Apple waiting until 2007.) Ah, Leopard, the all-important Version 10.5. As Leopard marks the half-way point of our journey through the feline family (has it been five years already?), and since Apple performed a minor and seldom-publicized processor swap this year, I think Leopard will be the most significant upgrade to OS X yet. (That's not even taking into consideration the fact that Apple is finally recieving competition from Redmond with Windows Vista, and that Apple has been working on this upgrade of OS X longer than any other.) It will "cap off" the Intel transition, making the Mac ready for what might be it's biggest holiday season ever. (More on that later.)

I think one of the most important upgrades we'll see when Leopard hits will be resolution independance. This will allow Apple to include higher-resolution displays with its Intel hardware (or, in the case with the current Intel hardware, their Merom/Conroe revisions), because people who don't want to squint to read on their MacBooks won't have to.

MacBook

Speaking of MacBooks, the successor to the iBook line may very well be the next Intel product we see. Core Solo-powered Macbooks should arrive in time for the education buying season this April (possibly at an Apple anniversary event). Unlike the new MacBook Pro and iMac, the MacBook will be based on an all-new design - the iBook G4 design is the oldest in Apple's current line-up, dating back to the G3 era. I'm expecting only one model, with a 13" or 14" widescreen. The appearance will also be more in line with Apple's current style - I'm expecting a "tighter" design, perhaps akin to the Mac mini. The price will stay the same - $999 and up.

MacBook mini

However, I'd be extremely surprised if the fall student buying season came and went without a MacBook mini. The notebook, which will be inevitably billed as Apple's smallest ever, will have a 12" or 13" widescreen, and - I'm going to go out on a limb here - it'll come in colors. (Shut up, Pscates.) Like the iPod mini, we'll all fall in love with it until we see the price - $799 will undercut the MacBook, but not by as much as some will be expecting. (Hey, that small design has to be paid for somehow.) However, like the iPod mini, it'll be extremely popular regardless.

Power Mac + Cinema Displays

I'm expecting the Power Mac to recieve a small update in April or so. That's right, I said "Power Mac" and "small update" - the Power Mac can't go Intel until Woodcrest chips are available late in the year (unless they decide to axe the "Quad" model, which seems counterproductive), so we'll probably see a speed bump (to 2.7 GHz on the Quad) to carry it until the Intel-powered "Mac Pro" arrives.

A price drop on the Cinema Displays will accompany the Power Mac updates, and this time, the 20" display won't be left out in the cold. I'm thinking $499 for the 20", $999" for the 23" and $1,999" for the 30". Yep - in 2006, Apple displays will finally be competive with 2005's prices. Go figure.

As far as the Woodcrest-based Mac Pro goes, it should sport a smaller (black?) enclosure when we finally do see it. It also might be the first Mac with a Blu-ray Drive. New Cinema Displays will be unveiled to match, and they'll support even higher resolutions (Resolution independance, remember?) and they'll inevitably feature HDCP support. Yay...copy protection!

Thirtieth Anniversary Macintosh

Of all my predictions, I readily admit that this is the least likely...but a list of "My Predictions for the Mac in 2006" wouldn't be complete without it.

Any "Special Edition" Macintosh has to feel like it, so just as the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh was impressive because it had a flat-panel display (how futuristic!), the Thirtieth Anniversary Macintosh would be impressive because of the sheer size of its screen. I'm thinking it'll look very similair to a 30" Cinema Display, only colored black, and only upon close inspection would you realize that - "Oh shit!" - there was a computer in there. Expect specs similair to a high-end iMac, with a fast Core Duo. (If Apple wanted to really impress, they'd get a 3.0 Ghz PowerPC G5 in there, just so Jobs could finally be true to his word.) If Apple does drop the price of the 30" Cinema Display to $1,999, there's a chance that this could cost a mere $3,000! (Not $2,999 - the zeros look classier.) Not a consumer product, to be sure, but it's a hell of a lot better than the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh's $7,500 price tag. No word on whether a tuxedoed man will personally deliver it to your house this time.

iMac

The iMac kept its current design when it lept ahead to Intel, but that won't hold true for its leap to Conroe. Believe it or not, Paris AppleExpo 2006 will mark two years with the current iMac design - and, if you'd recall, two years was the lifespan of the previous iMac incarnation, the iMac G4.

I'm not expecting quite the massive shift in design direction we've seen for iMacs past, though. The Conroe iMac will likely share a similair "guts glommed behind the display" design, but the visual change will be greater than the shift from the Revision A and B iMacs to the Revision C iMac + iSight. I'm expecting the 17" model to no longer exist, as Apple apparently thinks 20" is the ideal desktop display size. A 23" model may be in the cards. Expect it to match the next-generation Cinema Displays, which should bow at about the same time (late 2006). The base price will stay the same - $1,299.

Mid-range "Headless" Desktop

Yes, in 2006 we will finally see the fabled "headless iMac" we've all been waiting for. It'll be in between the size of the Mac mini and the Mac Pro, and I'm sure Apple will find a way to make the design appealing, such as, say...making it a cube. In the new Mac naming system, the mid-range desktop would simply be named "Mac," and while that would be pretty cool, expect a name like "Mac Cube." It would be similair spec-wise to the Conroe iMac, and would thus be priced at $999. The Conroe iMac would thus be $200 cheaper than buying the Mac Cube and Apple's 20" Cinema Display, but you'd expect it to be, right?

Mac mini

I, for one, don't think that the Mac mini will "evolve" into a media center. Apple will probably introduce a media center, sure, and it may even bear a striking resemblence to the Mac mini, but the Mac mini will stick around as Apple's low-end desktop.

The Mac mini will probably go Intel alongside the MacBook in April - maybe a little later, so as to secure enough Core Solos for the schools buying MacBooks. When the Merom, Conroe, and Woodcrest roll around, expect the Mac mini to take the low road with the Merom.

MacBook Pro

Those dissapointed that Tuesday's MacBook Pro wasn't an entirely new computer will be satisfied in (wait for it) late 2006, when the Merom-based MacBook Pro hits. A 17" version should also be made available, and possibly a smaller version, too - there's a pretty big gap to fill between the $999 MacBook and the $1,999 MacBook Pro. Oh, and it'll be black. I promise.

In conclusion...

I think the most important change of all this year might be one of Apple's philosophy. This year might be the year Apple - inspired by the success of the iPod - finally takes the Mac to the masses, so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised to see a massive Mac push this holiday season. Just look at it - Apple, having just completed a transition to a new processor architecture, have the most new models ever and the most complete line-up in recent memory...and to top it all off, they introduce a major upgrade to OS X, Leopard, that should propel Mac OS another five years ahead of Windows Vista.

If that is what the Mac line-up looked like at the end of 2006, I couldn't be happier, tablet be damned. Apple would have succesfully moved from a two-tiered "i/Power" matrix to a three-tiered "mini/Mac/Pro" one, and that's what really matters. Two sizes don't fit all in the computer world. (Neither do three sizes, but Apple has to choose their battles.)

I'm probably too ambitious - these predictions call for an all-new version of every Mac, save for possibly the Mac mini - but hey, it is a major architecture transition.

Even if none of these come true, as long as Apple makes 2006 the Year of the Mac (shocker), and actually decides to use this prime opportunity to push the Mac - I'll be overjoyed.

Sadly, that's possibly the least likely of my predictions.

Your thoughts?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
shell

2006-01-16, 18:53

I think we'll see a price reduction in the iBook line. I remember I bought my iBook in 2002 for $1799, that's PowerBook territory now, at the time the cost of owning a PB started at $2000+. But times change, speed goes up and prices go down, and the iBooks are starting to look seriously overpriced to my eyes. I see no difficulty of releasing two new low-end MacBooks:

13.3 inch wide screen
1.5 Ghz Core Solo
PCI graphics with 64 Mb of VRAM
40 Gb Hd
$799

15.2 inch wide screen
1.66 Ghz Core Solo
PCI graphics with 64 Mb of VRAM
60 Gb HD
$999

That's what they need to do to remain competitive. If you look at the PC side of things, these specks are easily achievable. All that and the new versions will probably be lighter and slimmer than the iBooks they replace, they may take on a more PowerBook-esqe look, even if they stick to the polycarbonate shell, featuring both black and white varieties.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-16, 18:58

In essence, we're saying similair things, except that I think the smaller, $799 MacBook will be called "MacBook mini." I also doubt we'll see a 15" MacBook, but our ideas are similair.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
shell

2006-01-16, 20:40

Hmmm. I just thought about the prospect that iSight may be included on all MacBooks, in which case $799 might be a bit optimistic. Personally, I hope that there is the option to get one without a camera and save a few bucks. It's a cool feature, but it's not right for everybody.

I think you're spot on about the mini. There may be a media center, but it will be an entirely different product for two main reasons. If the mini was to become a media center it would leave the Macintosh without a low-end option. The iMac is more than some people want, and if last year was any indication they will continue to aggressively upgrade the iMac as new technology becomes available. Also, it's not the right shape for a media center, it would need to be rectangular, with the long end to the front like most VCRs or DVD player's; home entertainment center's are designed to accomodate such shapes.

Last edited by shell : 2006-01-16 at 20:51.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-01-16, 21:06

There will not be a mid-range, 'headless imac', new cube...whatever. The mini is the new cube, and the iMac(especially with monitor spanning) is more than enough for the average user. Apple doesn't like to cater to the DIY market, because the DIY market fucks shit up. I am positive on this much.

Other thoughts:
iSights will be included in all apple portables, and there might be a price drop/spec boost on the standalone iSight. If you don't like it, that's too bad, it doesn't cost apple much to do, and the benefits really do outweigh the occasional naysayer. I wouldn't be surprised if we see iSights embedded into apple's displays, but, perhaps not since they are definitely pro displays and many people run them concurrently, it wouldn't make sense to have 2 iSights.

I don't think we'll see leopard, but I wouldn't completely rule it out. Vista will be making headlines later this year, if for marketing purposes alone it might serve apple to have their next release ready sooner than later.

The current iMac case is perfect. The only thing apple could do is make it trimmer. I'm sure they will do this, but I don't think we'll see any major case design revisions for some time. If we do, it'll be an improvement on the current design in someway, perhaps an improved stand(with rotational capabilities)

I think we'll see a light, under 1" thick widescreen notebook from apple. It will probably replace the iBook. Though I wouldn't preclude the possibility that apple might diversify their portable lines some more, adding many models. Especially since their notebooks outsell their desktops.

I do not think there will be a special 30th anniversary mac, but I wouldn't rule out a 30th anniversary iPod. Something simple, costing $50 than a regular iPod, but with some simple commemorative engraving.

I think the mac mini will step into the set-top box territory a little. I don't think apple will go full on with that market just yet, but I suspect when the mini is updated it will get more extensive video out options, a TV card and front row.

Out of the ballbark idea would be the idea of apple making a 40-50" TV with a built in computer. Or apple making an HD projector with a computer built into it. Both of these are kinda silly ideas but, apple does seem interested in the media center experience, but they are stepping into it delicately so far. It's not totally outlandish to say a computer company would make a plasma TV(gateway sells plenty of plasma TVs). I don't know if apple's name would be strong enough to market such a product, and it's a small enough niche that it mightn't be worth it at all. But, I would still love to see it. heh.
ronmexico

2006-01-16, 21:14

Great post Roboman! I am curious about your iPod and iTunes predicitons for 2006...
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2006-01-16, 21:35

Nothing on the iPod?

I suspect we will see them make one in 16:9 aspect (turned sideways) with video--that is, the entire top will be the screen. That would give them about 4-5" screen to compete with Archos and others. However, I cannot think how they will control it--maybe a wireless separate controller?

Then they need to figure out how people can put there own DVDs on it (legally)--perhaps some registration.
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-01-16, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by macosXrumors
A device comprising: a display area; an array of display elements located within the display area, each display element capable of displaying a pixel of information, either alone or in combination with other display elements; and an array of image elements located within the display area, each image element being capable of capturing visual information from a source in front of the display area; wherein each image element has a lens that does not interfere with any display elements.
Maybe we won't see built-in isights in the displays for long.
shell

2006-01-17, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2
Nothing on the iPod?
Actually, I expect this to be the year of the Mac, and don't expect to see anything major happening with iPods. We'll probably see increased storage capacity, especially on the nano, and an ever increasing number of shows to be downloaded on iTunes. But none of that could be called revolutionary.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-01-17, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell
We'll probably see increased storage capacity, especially on the nano, and an ever increasing number of shows to be downloaded on iTunes. But none of that could be called revolutionary.
Wouldn't they have to move to hard-drive based memory in order to do this? I thought that the biggest flash memory chip is a 4 gig. Unless you think there will be a bigger chip this year..

edited b/c of grammar

Deal with it.
The Grim

2006-01-17, 14:06

For me, Merom would be good enough for new iMac. Conroe is mean for Desktop, and Merom is for Laptop. iMac is not a very Pro Machine, so it does not need a High-end CPU. Conroe would be more expensive, more heat, and more power consumption then Merom. I would put Conroe only in iMac 23". I will be staying in Thailand more where the temperature is very hot, so I do not need a mini radiator in my bedroom unless I live in State. I do not like to turn on A/C all the time, so I would appreciate if the new iMac produce less heat and quiet. This web give good information about Intel next chip Conroe and Merom http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...222123818.html and http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...316084519.html.
Anybody know when the next Macworld Paris will be?
shell

2006-01-17, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnick4
Wouldn't they have to move to hard-drive based memory in order to do this? I thought that the biggest flash memory chip is a 4 gig. Unless you think there will be a bigger chip this year..

edited b/c of grammar

No, I don't have any information, but I doubt that 4 gig is the zenith of the technology. From what I understand flash memory is a very active area of research right now - largely fueled by the explosion of MP3 platers in the last couple of years.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-17, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2
Nothing on the iPod?
Note that these are "My Predictions for the Mac in 2006." I'm sure something will happen on the iPod front, but my post was long enough without delving into Apple's media player!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
There will not be a mid-range, 'headless imac', new cube...whatever. The mini is the new cube, and the iMac(especially with monitor spanning) is more than enough for the average user. Apple doesn't like to cater to the DIY market, because the DIY market fucks shit up. I am positive on this much.
I disagree. (Duh.) I think that Apple showed a renewed commitment to "headless" desktops when they introduced the Mac mini (effectively replacing the aging eMac). I don't think Apple can take the Mac to the masses with just the Mac mini and the iMac. I think introducing a mid-range desktop will be a key part of making 2006 the Year of the Mac, along with Intel and 10.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim
For me, Merom would be good enough for new iMac. Conroe is mean for Desktop, and Merom is for Laptop. iMac is not a very Pro Machine, so it does not need a High-end CPU. Conroe would be more expensive, more heat, and more power consumption then Merom.
I would agree, but you must remember - Apple put a G5 in the iMac. It's clear that they want the iMac to be a fairly capable machine. Also, I'm sure even the Conroe will run cooler than the G5 did.

You have to look at other desktops. Will other $1,000 desktops be running notebook processors? I don't think so.

I think the iMac (and mid-range Mac) will get the Conroe. The Mac mini will get the Merom, and the Mac Pro will get the Woodcrest (it needs to, for multiple processor support).

Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-01-17, 16:11

We will see more laptops. Ranging from 799 to 2499, in 200-300 increments -- we might see as many as 9 configs, and less need for BTO.

Look for iBooks to get bigger screens. Look for a light/slim model to slot in between iBooks and Macbooks.

Look for a more robust headless machine and/or a 23/24" iMac.

Smaller "Powermac" cases.

Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-01-17, 16:19

Come and past?
noah

2006-01-17, 21:54

You totally forgot a replacement for the 12" pbook. Your macbooks dont make a suiting replacement for a high speed pro laptop for around 1500.

Whats your prediction?
Reid

2006-01-17, 22:05

I'm not convinced that a MacBook mini would be the low end laptop. I think Apple would aim it at mobile executives seeking the ultimate ultra-portable, and price it accordingly. Think 1.8" hard drives, thinnest-ever enclosure, etc.

Most ultra-portables on the market today are NOT aimed at the bottom of the price bracket. Entry-level consumers care less about their laptop being super small, because they're not looking for a second computer to take on the road. They're looking for a desktop replacement. And that, to most people, would have to include a big hard drive and a screen of reasonable size.

Look for this to be the year when Apple's lineup begins to more closely resemble that of your typical PC manufacturer (in function and price point, if not in style!), now that direct comparisons are more likely to happen than ever.
ZachPruckowski

2006-01-17, 22:21

I don't see a need for a 23" iMac. Any more pricey and you're moving into PM territory. I could see a headless desktop with the iMac stats at $200-300 lower, in a bid to lure mid-range PC users. These could also have more customization options, since size is less of an issue. They could be Xbox360 sized: smaller than a standard PC tower, but bigger than the iMac (or at least roomier).
patrickatm08

Send a message via AIM to patrickatm08  
2006-01-17, 22:40

Apple has finally caught up with Dell in terms of stock value, I think it's about time they really take off. The world finally knows about them due to the iPod, regular people are ready to go Mac. I was just talking to my friend this morning about getting his mom an iBook, and I think more people are thinking along these lines. It's finally feasible for them to shoot the moon, they're expanding their brick and mortar stores, switching processors to something common people are at least familiar with, and the iPod has become a household item. 100 iPods a second? I think that's unbelievable. This is definitely the year of the Mac, I'm excited.

White Macbook 2.0, 1gb RAM, 60gb HDD
1gb Shuffle, 4gb 2gen silver Mini
Shure e4 headphones
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-17, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah
You totally forgot a replacement for the 12" pbook. Your macbooks dont make a suiting replacement for a high speed pro laptop for around 1500.

Whats your prediction?
Believe me, I didn't forget about it - the 12" Powerbook is one of my favorite Macs ever, even if it is the black sheep of the Powerbook family. I'm just not sure what the future holds for a small pro notebook. I don't think Apple will ignore one - that'd create a $1,000 gap in the MacBook line - but I'm not entirely sure we'll see one...it's possible Apple just drops the price of the MacBook Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I'm not convinced that a MacBook mini would be the low end laptop. I think Apple would aim it at mobile executives seeking the ultimate ultra-portable, and price it accordingly. Think 1.8" hard drives, thinnest-ever enclosure, etc.

Most ultra-portables on the market today are NOT aimed at the bottom of the price bracket.
Yes, but Apple has always done it differently. If the iBook grows in size when it becomes a MacBook (like it almost certainly will), I can see Apple making a small notebook (slightly smaller than the 12" Powerbook) to be positioned below it - as if the 14" iBook became the MacBook, and the 12" iBook became the "MacBook mini," both shrinking a bit in the process (the current designs are four years old, after all).

I think that, by fall, Apple could make a new MacBook mini a bit smaller than the 12" Powerbook, even at $799 (and without using 1.8" drives, to boot). While the 12" Powerbook is "tighter" than the iBook, it's still encumbered by the same four-year-old design - a MacBook mini could be thinner, if nothing else.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-17, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski
I don't see a need for a 23" iMac. Any more pricey and you're moving into PM territory. I could see a headless desktop with the iMac stats at $200-300 lower, in a bid to lure mid-range PC users. These could also have more customization options, since size is less of an issue. They could be Xbox360 sized: smaller than a standard PC tower, but bigger than the iMac (or at least roomier).
The 20" iMac was originally what, $2,199? That didn't stop Apple.

If the base iMac gains a 20" display, Apple would be able to offer a 23" model for $1,799 or so.

rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-01-17, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Believe me, I didn't forget about it - the 12" Powerbook is one of my favorite Macs ever, even if it is the black sheep of the Powerbook family. I'm just not sure what the future holds for a small pro notebook. I don't think Apple will ignore one - that'd create a $1,000 gap in the MacBook line - but I'm not entirely sure we'll see one...it's possible Apple just drops the price of the MacBook Pro.
That doesn't fix anything. I personally wouldn't buy a 15" Laptop - It's just too big. There is an absolutely essential need for something between 12.1 Widescreen - 14.1 Widescreen. A 14.1 is even cutting it. And I'm not talking about a subnote either. That range is where a Subnote is just not fully featured, but a computer needs to exist.

It's really quite stupid of me to be arguing this of all things out with people who have no control over it :P
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-01-18, 02:18

Oh. I get it. Come and passed.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-18, 02:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
That doesn't fix anything. I personally wouldn't buy a 15" Laptop - It's just too big. There is an absolutely essential need for something between 12.1 Widescreen - 14.1 Widescreen. A 14.1 is even cutting it.
A 14.1-inch widescreen laptop would barely be any bigger than the current 12.1-inch iBook. A 13.3-inch widescreen laptop, in fact, could even be slightly smaller.

If my calculations are any good, that is.

I think Apple will want to keep one laptop offering that retains the current 12-inch PowerBook "no borders to the side of the keyboard" style. Since it'll be widescreen, it'll be less long.
The Grim

2006-01-18, 03:35

Quote:
The 20" iMac was originally what, $2,199? That didn't stop Apple.

If the base iMac gains a 20" display, Apple would be able to offer a 23" model for $1,799 or so.
I would like Apple to make iMac 23" as special edition 30 anniversary, and I do not care if it use Conroe or Merom. Both Conroe and Merom will be 64 bit, I wonder what Apple going to do about it with regard to system ram that can use more then 4G. I hope Apple give us more Ram slot (4 slot *2G=8G), but I just do not know how for the iMac. Give me a handle and a case, so I can carry my iMac everywhere when I travel overseas.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-18, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
That doesn't fix anything. I personally wouldn't buy a 15" Laptop - It's just too big. There is an absolutely essential need for something between 12.1 Widescreen - 14.1 Widescreen. A 14.1 is even cutting it. And I'm not talking about a subnote either. That range is where a Subnote is just not fully featured, but a computer needs to exist.
Well, as some would say, Apple would have a MacBook - maybe even a MacBook mini - for those who want a smaller notebook than the MacBook Pro.

Yeah, I don't think that fits the bill, either, but...

It's just hard to pin down a small MacBook Pro...and that's not even taking into account the "cooler...much cooler" rumors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artap99
Oh. I get it. Come and passed.
Whoops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim
I would like Apple to make iMac 23" as special edition 30 anniversary, and I do not care if it use Conroe or Merom.
But a Thirtieth Anniversary Mac should have a 30" screen! Apple makes them, so why not? "Anniversary" Macs should be nothing less than top of the line, and a computer built into a 30" Cinema HD Display would be impressive indeed - it could look exactly like the normal display!

Any 30th Anniversary Mac wouldn't be able to use Conroe or Merom, though, unless they ship it months later than the actual anniversary. (Actually, the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh was introduced a calender year after the anniversary - it shipped in 1997, not 1996.)

I stand by my earlier prediction - the next-generation iMac (with Merom) will grow to 20" standard, and a 23" version may be available.

oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2006-01-18, 13:18

I just hope that this is the year that all Apple Machines will be able to process 1080p on the fly and not skip a beat and if the right size screen is attached then I expect it to be displayed natively. Now I do not expect 17" screens or smaller to display this content natively this year but in two or three years the minimum size screen needed to display 1080p should be smaller and much cheaper.

In 2010 if I can't get a 15" notebook that will process and display 1080p natively with out running out of battery power before the movie is over and without burning my lap, then the industry is failing us.

Mile 1
Reid

2006-01-18, 13:59

Quote:
But a Thirtieth Anniversary Mac should have a 30" screen! Apple makes them, so why not? "Anniversary" Macs should be nothing less than top of the line, and a computer built into a 30" Cinema HD Display would be impressive indeed - it could look exactly like the normal display!
Great point! A 30" LCD iMac, in glossy black, would be a kick-ass living-room PC. And they could offer a 40" version as an upgrade. Of course, with panels that big they'd have to price them at like $3-4,000. Might just be the "plasma macs" O'Grady was talking about...
halo1982

2006-01-18, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnick4

edited b/c of grammar
I wouldn't be surprised to see 6GB or 8GB nanos, considering there is room for an extra flash chip on the nano, and some (crazy) people have already modded their nanos to support 8GBs.
shell

2006-01-18, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu
We will see more laptops. Ranging from 799 to 2499, in 200-300 increments -- we might see as many as 9 configs, and less need for BTO.
Here, here. Except the top priced model will be more than $2499, as that is the price of the current 15''. The 17'' will be a true powerhouse when it comes out.