User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

just got an i book..quick question..

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
just got an i book..quick question..
urbanswashbuckler

2006-06-23, 19:56

hi everybody..been lurking on this forum for months, thinking about making the switch..though at some point i'ee probably be getting an intel iMac...
i got a 12 inch 1.2ghz g4 ibook(with 512and 60 gb) for a good price on ebay, because i really wanted to try out OSX to see if i like it and if i really want to spend that kind of money .

so far so good, and this really is a nice machine..but i have a slight problem.
i installed firefox, but everytime i open up firefox an icon appears on my dexktop and wont leave unless i quit firefox and send it to the trash.

is there anyway i can disable or get rid of this, and does this happen with anyother down loads?

also, is there a way to open up multiple windows for interenet browsing?
i'll click on the FFicon in the dock, but no new window.

thanks in advace.

U.S
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-06-23, 20:03

In firefox, to make a new window just hit Apple-N. Also, have you tried tabbed browsing? Apple-T will open up a tab in the same window so you can have multiple pages open at the same time.

As far as an icon appearing on your desktop every time, what is the name of the file/icon that appears, and what does it look like? Did you install any extensions to firefox? Also, how did you install firefox? If you're running it off a disk image or the like, that could happen. Make sure to drag the firefox application to your applications folder so that it's properly installed.

The firerfox/icon problem is weird enough I'm going to move this over to the Genius Bar.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2006-06-23, 20:46

are you running firefox from the disk image, perhaps?
if you are, next time you open the disk image, just drag the firefox icon to your applications folder
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-06-23, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit
are you running firefox from the disk image, perhaps?
if you are, next time you open the disk image, just drag the firefox icon to your applications folder
This sounds like exactly the problem.

You probably dragged the icon from the disk image directly to your dock. Drag it out and replace it with the one from the Applications folder after following ThunderPoit's instructions above.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-23, 22:26

You may want to try Camino too. It's made by the FireFox developers, but designed for Mac OS X.
urbanswashbuckler

2006-06-24, 00:13

you know what, thats excactaly what i did, draged teh disk image right to my dock as opposed to application folder...now i know for future down loads...

i told somebody today that i was thiniking of making the switch, they asked me how i was doing, because i went for a lost cost alternative, like i said, if i like it, i keep the ibook for portable stuff and sufin the net and the like, an dget an imac for my main home/work computer , but if not, then i resell on ebay, and i gave it a shot...

everything is moving pretty smoothly,
it took me a bit to ge hooked up to my home network where i use a netgear wireless router (since its set up asa a private network, the ibook didnt find it, i had to seek it out with the network name and right passowrd, now its just fine)
i told the person it was like driving a car in europe. you know how to drive but its alittle different because its on the opposite side, but once you get used to it, its all good.

of course, this ibook sisnt have ilife installed, which is one of the things i wanted to try...

but soon enough, as well as getting a good word processor and such..then i start really messing with it, s well as getting some good pron on it too..hehe

thanks for the help you guys, and i know ill really be abusing the search button now.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-24, 00:54

Just to let you know. Press "" "shift" and ";" And it will spell check for you.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-24, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
Just to let you know. Press "" "shift" and ";" And it will spell check for you.
Not in Firefox.

One of the many reasons Firefox sucks.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-06-24, 01:05

When you show me script blocking and ad blocking in Safari you might convince me. Until then I can live with misspellings.
urbanswashbuckler

2006-06-24, 02:44

and sometimes i type to fast i just dont bother...or i really have to pee...

spelchek, smelsnek....hehe
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-06-24, 05:47

Script blocking? Not sure what that is...

For ad blocking, I'm not using PithHelmet, but a css called UserContent.css -- it's working pretty well, and I don't realize what ads I'm missing until I view the same sites on another browser.

Link:
http://www.floppymoose.com/

And, urbanswashbuckler -- it didn't come with iLife? That's a bummer, really. I'd say to snag a copy, and get iWork while you're at it.

Try using TextEdit for a while as a word processor, too.