User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Applecare Skullduggery: Serial Number Policy?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Applecare Skullduggery: Serial Number Policy?
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-03-15, 14:06

Some of you may remember that when I bought my MacBook Pro, I got offered an insane discount over the phone, so I tricked it out and got Applecare with it too.

About a month into the lifespan of the machine, OS X decided to apparently randomly delete the Terminal from existence, and I called Apple Support to get advice on what was best to do - in the end, I did an archive and install. The gentleman on the phone asked if I had Applecare, I said I did, but when Apple shipped the machine although the Applecare booklet arrived separately and with the Software Utilities CD, there was no S/N with it. The guy on the phone was perplexed by this, but after speaking to his supervisor told me that their 'new policy' was that when the 90-day warranty runs out they issue the Applecare code.

Anyway, I never got the code but was in the process of quitting my job and going back to University, so I didn't think too much of it - except now my Superdrive has super-died, and I need to get it repaired in a 5-week window of opportunity (Easter / Spring break). But I typed the serial number of my MBP into Apple's support page and it doesn't have Applecare linked with it - presumably because I haven't linked the Applecare S/N with the Hardware one?

The only evidence I have that Apple ever sold me Applecare is the order status screen from apple.com, the Applecare handbook and the software utility CD (which now, obviously, is useless, since my Superdrive is broken). Does anyone have any advice on the best course of action? I don't especially want to speak to people on the phone at the moment as I have bronchitis.

TIA.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-03-15, 14:15

Funny enough, same thing happened to me only few weeks ago.

I wasn't aware that I was supposed to register Applecare for iMac and when I had to do a replacement on keyboard, was informed of the fact. Except that it was like two years later, and I can't remember what I did with my Applecare box, which had the enrollment number.

After explaining to Applecare my situation and offered them the original invoice which I still had a copy. After getting thumbs up from higher ups, I was then enrolled based on the fax of my invoice.

I hope that your order status has a invoice number, which will be invaluable in proving that you did purchase a Applecare among with your computer, and of course your computer's serial number.

Good luck.