User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Think Secret opens the MWSF floodgates (iLife, mini Mac, iWork, flash iPod)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Think Secret opens the MWSF floodgates (iLife, mini Mac, iWork, flash iPod)
Page 3 of 12 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-29, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Once you lay down the $499, yeah you've made a commitment. But I'm saying, I think the mental barrier is great enough that a lot of people who you consider frustrated will not put down the $499 because of that. I think anyone who uses a mac for two weeks, and learns how to do everything that the PC does, will prefer the mac.
Well that's the thing, then. I realize - and totally accept - that not everyone is going to switch...even if it was FREE.

But if Apple gets off their ass and pushes this just a bit (assuming it's even true, of course), I feel confident there would be enough who would. If Apple directly addressed and tackled some of those prominent "mental barriers", that might go a long way toward getting people past that.

It can be done. It isn't as though it's some radical, unheard-of idea or notion (touting your products and informing the public).

It's just something Apple seems to have a mysterious issue with.

But, no...if they "promote" this $499 Mac in the same manner they have the iMac G5 (and everything else that isn't an iPod), then it'll be a massive flop, and deservedly so.

It's 50/50 right now...history tells me one thing, the optimist in me - totally surprised that Apple actually got around to considering such a product - hopes they follow through properly, and doesn't just let it sit there and hope people stumble across it all on their own.

Dave K.

2004-12-29, 11:28

Since nobody brought it up...

Will we see new Apple branded monitors to go with the iMac mini?

I would love to see an inexpensive 17" and 20" LCDs to go with these new computers (inexpensive compared to the the current Apple LCD monitors that is).

What about different colors?
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2004-12-29, 11:32

Wow! Steve is totally going to put the smack down on whoever leaked this!

This is a really good move for Apple, they have lacked an actual desktop since they killed the cube and this would fit into an entirely different price category, ie: the right price category, that would appeal to all the Dell/eMachines bargain hunters out there. They totally need to market the bejesus out of this thing though, some people don't even realize that Apple sells computers.

The future is tomorrow!
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-12-29, 11:40

concept i found at mac rumors
from applepete.com/concepts

now make it iPod mini colors and we are all set

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-12-29, 11:42

though i think it needs a speaker and a fan

and i like the suggested name of mymac

g
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-29, 11:46

Am I wrong to say that mockup makes me tingle a bit? Makes my jeans feel a bit tighter? Did I say that out loud?

Seriously, I'd be proud to own something that sleek and small for a computer...or to give it to a hard-headed PC user or two that I know. Too bad it's not a future-looking G5 in there...but still!

Is that drawing based off any true info, or just someone's "guess" as to what it MIGHT look like? I would not mind it looking like that one bit.

Dave K., I brought up the standalone 17" display a page back.

A white 17" widescreen standalone, meant to go with this thing...

Does this thing, standing up like this, affect the drive speed and performance. I just remember Steve talking about that during the iMac G4 introduction. I realize the iMac G5 has vertically mounted drives, so either Steve was bullcrapping in 2002, or the issue has somehow been addressed?
Quagmire
meh

2004-12-29, 12:12

Ai reports that this headless iMac was going to have a built in iPod dock. But, they scrapped it. Also they say apple is going to intro there own iPod speakers and say the imac headless will be sub $600. I wonder why ai and ts ignore apple's commands to tell who are the sources?

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=802

giggity
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-12-29, 12:20

Basically it's a switcher machine for the PC crowd and a server for us Mac-heads.

Anyway, Apple will run a commercial....the greatest computing experience, for only $499. The lowest priced Apple Computer of all time.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-12-29, 12:24

the reason this is a great move for apple is that $500 is below the "significant purchase" threshhold for a lot of people.

people can and are willing to toss $500 at a possible solution to a everyday problem (read Windows, adware, spyware etc).

it's much harder to take the risk on $1,000 computer.

the problem Apple has now is their cheapest machine is the eMac, which has an embedded CRT monitor. any potential switcher is going to already have a computer, which likely has a monitor with it. let them use the monitor they already have, and just switch the CPU. it's cheaper, and more cost effective. the other option (iMac) on the low end also has a built in monitor. you have to move up to a PowerMac to use your existing monitor. for people with nice monitors already, that's just too expensive an option just to switch.

the cheapest PowerMac is $1,500. this unit would be $500.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-29, 12:29

Yeah, I saw where AppleInsider is now talking about it. Their "sub $600" thing worries me because that basically translates to $599.

$499 just sounds SO much better, and is at that ideal mid-way mark, halfway to $1,000. I do hope TS's price info is accurate.

Man, this is genuinely exciting. Something totally new and different might be on the horizon...been a long time since that's happened (I realize the iMac G5 is fairly new, but even that was simply an update to an existing product...and AIO "consumer" machine).

This little thing is something completely new and different, and represents quite a departure for Apple. This, maybe an eMac G5, maybe a new, cheaper iPod and some great software...shaping up to be a very enjoyable keynote if the rumors and speculation hold true.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-12-29, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
Well, if they really decided to go down that path, you'd damn well hope that they put in a FX5200 or better for the GPU (it'd look pretty bad to be synchronising introduction of a machine which can't even take advantage of all the features of the OS, even on paper).

For that matter, you'd hope that they'd upgrade all of their lines to have programmable pixel shader support by then. We'll see.

For the record: are you sure that "potential ease of use" is really the goal, as opposed to selling lots of machines to cash-strapped people and switchers/adders?
I don't know if ease of use is the goal, but there were some notes about it in the TS article regarding surveys, etc. Most of it was related to software. My main reason for saying to have Tiger come with it (or do the $20 upgrade fee) is because the search technology in it is a good "ease of use" feature. Smart mailboxes, Smart folders, and Desktop search rock.

As far as the GPU, I'm guessing that it won't be CI compatible. Maybe they have an upgrade option to potentially have one. Given their propensity to balance out their lines with some ATI, some Nvidia, it's kind of a tossup as to what they put in there. If it's ATI, then it'd likely be some sort of 9200, which would not make it CI capable. I don't particularly see a reason for Apple to make this thing able to take advantage of CI.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-29, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
the reason this is a great move for apple is that $500 is below the "significant purchase" threshhold for a lot of people.

people can and are willing to toss $500 at a possible solution to a everyday problem (read Windows, adware, spyware etc).

it's much harder to take the risk on $1,000 computer.

the problem Apple has now is their cheapest machine is the eMac, which has an embedded CRT monitor. any potential switcher is going to already have a computer, which likely has a monitor with it. let them use the monitor they already have, and just switch the CPU. it's cheaper, and more cost effective. the other option (iMac) on the low end also has a built in monitor. you have to move up to a PowerMac to use your existing monitor. for people with nice monitors already, that's just too expensive an option just to switch.

the cheapest PowerMac is $1,500. this unit would be $500.
Everything this man says is true, and it's what I've been saying since summertime (and even further back, in many ways).

Alcimedes is dead on..."switchers" already have computers, most likely a tower and separate display. They aren't going to take a chance on a $1500-plus Mac (if they're bent on keeping their display). But they WILL part with $500. Hell, the spyware crap alone is worth $500 to some people!

It will be interesting to see what sorts of options/upgrades this might have attached to it (SuperDrive, better graphics, large hard drives, internal Bluetooth, etc.?)
mama's left eye

2004-12-29, 12:38

At $500 dollars I hope it doesn't come with "Apple Extreme" GPU with 64mb of shared memory
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-12-29, 13:14

The only question that remains now is: How long will it take before so many people have these things that hackers start nailing the Mac platform!?
Dave K.

2004-12-29, 13:20

Agreed. If Wintel users didn't upgrade their PCs then stores like Circuit City, Best Buy, Staples, OfficeMax, Office Depot, etc., wouldn't be selling and having sales on so many upgrade components.

This is a very valid reason why Wintel people don't choose Macs. Upgrading (or replacing) components on iMac G4 is very difficult. My QuickSilver case can't accept any optical drive. This is a reoccurring oversight made by Apple.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-12-29, 13:26

Even if Apple made their computers upgradable this way, most of these places would claim otherwise or would still manage the mangle your Mac in the process. It's mostly about perception.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-12-29, 13:57

$499 is at the point that one could spend the money comfortably without feeling like they've made TOO much of a commitment. Especially considering the resale value of a Mac. At most, if someone makes the purchase and changes their mind, they lose $100 or so. I think it would be great.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-12-29, 14:00

We live in an upside down world when people are willing to spend $250-300 US on an iPod but balk at a full-blown computer priced over $500.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2004-12-29, 14:00

A easily user serviceable/upgradeable system would give folks confidence in buying the new machine. Easily installed RAM, hard drive and and graphics card would seem like good ideas.
shatteringglass

2004-12-29, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
The only question that remains now is: How long will it take before so many people have these things that hackers start nailing the Mac platform!?
I share that concern too, but another part of me thinks that since Windows will always have a larger percentage of the market, if I was a virus writer, which piece of the pie would I target, the larger one, or the smaller? Still, there may be a few new Mac viruses out, but nothing like an epidemic on the PC side.

I'm beginnning to see the Newsweek print ad campaign now: "Sick of viruses, spyware, junk mail, pop-ups? Right this way." Then, with a huge picture of the new iMac, and under that, the price tag: "$499."
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2004-12-29, 14:47

If they make it a slab/tablet shaped thing, it will probably be similar to the iMac –*i.e. take off the back to replace the HD/RAM, which wouldn't be too difficult. Unfortunately, if it's that shape and thin, then it probably won't have a replaceable graphics card. There just wouldn't be enough room.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-29, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteringglass
I'm beginnning to see the Newsweek print ad campaign now: "Sick of viruses, spyware, junk mail, pop-ups? Right this way." Then, with a huge picture of the new iMac, and under that, the price tag: "$499."
I'm really hoping they get aggressive on that front, and tackle, head on, that particular aspect of using PCs. When my Dad or some other PC user in my life spends about 15 minutes on my PowerBook, they are so appreciative of how nothing bugs them, popping up and so forth.

You shouldn't have to BUY software and utilities to get rid of pain-in-the-ass, shady OTHER software and utilities! And you shouldn't have to spend 1/3 of your computer-using time fixing, updating, worrying, etc.

Hell, these ads would almost write themselves if Apple just got out of the way and went with it.
¡Damned!

2004-12-29, 15:42

It's curious that there's no mention of the iPod flash in TS's new report...or is that introduction just a given?

Last edited by 709 : 2004-12-29 at 15:47. Reason: probably shouldn't have posted that last bit...
JayReding

2004-12-29, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
How much space is truly needed for a computer of that type (1.25GHz G4)? Could the guts of the eMac be placed into a, say, 10" x 12" x 2" (or smaller) rectangular box? The size of a large LaCie or Maxtor external drive?

If so...wow. That's almost a "tuck it under your arm and take it with you" computer. Not a true portable (no screen or battery, of course), but certainly easy enough to take to a friend's house, or to and from work, as needed?
Here's what I'm thinking: take a 12.1" iBook. That has roughly the same form factor you describe. That's $999. Subtract $129 for the battery, which you won't need. How much is the LCD on an iBook actually worth? I'd imagine that's a pretty spendy item. Let's say $250 conservatively. Now you're already at $620, which isn't too far from the magic $499-$599 price point.

Apple doesn't normally operate with loss-leading products, but with the incredible success of the iPod, I could see them moving in that direction in order to capture some additional marketshare.

Think of Steve Jobs as a crack dealer - the first hit's always cheap, and then you're hooked.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-29, 16:03

You can also remove the keyboard (what, $1.42? )

But seriously...I wonder about the speaker situation on such a device? Internal? Bundled externals? One crappy internal so you can hear the start-up "boing" and alert sounds, but nothing too high quality?

Maybe Apple has some small new ones on tap to replace those clear "tennis balls" that came with the iMac G4.

I do hope it comes with 64MB graphics. Think it'll just have 5400rpm drive, or 7200? I'm guessing 5400, huh?

Because this is geared at a totally different, unique segment (although plenty of Mac people would buy it, I'm guessing), it will be interesting to see how Apple goes about this: I'm imagining lots of prime-time TV spots, and full-page ads in PC and news magazines? Billboards? Radio spots?

They can't do their usual thing (sit on their hands and rely on the iPod)...it won't work for this type of product. They'll be forced to get a little vocal and aggressive if they don't want this to flop all to hell...
TednDi

2004-12-29, 16:05

what about an apple KVM switch...

that would be sweet....

like sugar!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-12-29, 16:18

I imagine this thing having 128 MB graphics like the chip-set found in the 15'' PowerBook G4. It'll probably have speakers built-in like the original iMac G4 did. I'm betting that the hard drive will be a 5400 RPM 40 GB and 80 GB option. Makes sense to me.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-29, 16:23

128MB graphics?!?!

That's not even found in the $1899 20" iMac G5, for crying out loud. And you have to pay EXTRA to get it in the 15" PowerBook, Chris.

*SMACK!* Wake up and put down the pipe!

Hell, I think 64MB is pushing it...and it would not surprise me AT ALL if they ship it with 32MB. Don't lose sight of what this machine is, and represents. It's not a honkin' muscle Mac. Isn't supposed to be. And you can only get that much on the top tier of current pro Mac stuff, approach $2,000 and higher.

If it has 128MB graphics (at $499), I'LL buy that damn pink iPod mini and we can send it to that little girl you told us about. Deal?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-12-29, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
I imagine this thing having 128 MB graphics like the chip-set found in the 15'' PowerBook G4. It'll probably have speakers built-in like the original iMac G4 did. I'm betting that the hard drive will be a 5400 RPM 40 GB and 80 GB option. Makes sense to me.
Absolutely not on the 128MB VRAM (and certainly not Radeon 9700 caliber if that's what you're implying). That would be more than a slap in the face to iMac G5 users.

Edit: Pscates beat me And I think he's right about the possibility of 32MB.
04BlackWRX

2004-12-29, 16:44

Since no one has brought this idea up yet what about using the myMac as a mini Server or iServe. Think about the potential IF you could put 2 HD's in that case for up to 800GB of storage and 1GB of RAM. I know I would love to have one of those next to my PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz. It would be so much easier to work on all 4 of my Mac's. I could do processing on one and then be able to login in on my iMac by running Mac OS X Server "Tiger" on the myMac and still have access to all of my files. Think of a mini network for your house. I mean routers are good and all but the ability to have a server in your house with a G4 1.25hz or 1.5Ghz running Mac OS X Server for about $1,000, I would jump on that in a heart beat. I paid $1,800 for my iMac G4 800Mhz 15" with a Superdrive and waited over a month to get it. I could see big potential here for those of us that can't afford to shell out over $3,000 for an XServe G5 Dual 2.0Ghz but Need that kind of a network. Just some thoughts.