Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Price speculation of Intel PowerMacs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Price speculation of Intel PowerMacs
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-10-03, 19:08

I realize we may still be a year away, but where do you see Apple positioning it's pro towers in terms of price.

Today's multiprocessor lineup range from $2000 to $3000. Of course not knowing the specs makes it difficult to guess. But given that it's still targeted to a pro market, but can we assume a prices still in the same range?
Dave Hagan

2005-10-03, 19:55

I would hope at a minimum Apple would go back to starting off at $1,599. $1,999 at the entry level is steep.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-03, 22:57

...but then again, Apple could simply introduce a midrange desktop (a.k.a. Cube Redux) starting at $999...

...the Power Macs might start at $1,499 again, who knows. That'd be nice - desktops at $499, $999, and $1,499, with AIO versions of each desktop for $300 more. Assuming, of course, we saw a $1,799 "oMac" with Power Mac specs...
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-10-03, 23:57

I think Mac's are going to be based on two things in the future. How many cores and how fast those cores are. The industry is going that way and in three or four years I think it might be hard to buy a machine with only one cpu with one core.

I can't wait for the day when I can be a Quad Core Whore. LOL I think from now on we can term that QCW for short.

Mile 1
namachtag
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2005-10-04, 00:11

Is it just me or is it kind of early for IntelMac pricing? Go look at AlienWare or Boxx websites.

http://alienware.com/

http://www.boxxtech.com/

dellwho?

Browse the top end (true custom) configs then add 30% or more to the bill.......don't they have Xmas stuff out already too?
awilso

Send a message via Yahoo to awilso  
2005-10-04, 04:27

Personally, I think we have seen the end of "defined" processor boxes, the software Mac has developed will allow people to plug and play with multiple processors. So for example I have a dual core and need to upgrade my processing power, I pop in another two and the system re-configires and recommends some more memory. Desktops will take a leaf out of server-rack technology. Why bother with a new unit when you can bolt on anything you need?

The force is strong in this one
Anthem

2005-10-04, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilso
Personally, I think we have seen the end of "defined" processor boxes, the software Mac has developed will allow people to plug and play with multiple processors. So for example I have a dual core and need to upgrade my processing power, I pop in another two and the system re-configires and recommends some more memory. Desktops will take a leaf out of server-rack technology. Why bother with a new unit when you can bolt on anything you need?
Cool idea from the consumer's side, but Apple's not about to put out a unit like that. They make their money on upgrades; once you buy mac you never go back. They need to keep you on the treadmill. Plus, they make their money on the margins of high-end products. They won't give that up until they have to.

My Shuttle XPC is already like that, though. I've been upgrading a piece at a time for a couple years now. In another year or so (assuming Apple doesn't steal me with a cube), I'll make buy a new one to take advantage of the killer AMD X2 processors out there.

Actually, if that 64Mb of VRAM stays standard, I'll almost definately go with the high-end mini when it switches to Mactel. It's too sweet of a machine to pass up, it will do everything I need, and it's dead silent. Plus I can triple boot from it!
Nemesis

2005-10-05, 03:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hagan
I would hope at a minimum Apple would go back to starting off at $1,599. $1,999 at the entry level is steep.
PM is not an entry-level machine. iMac starts from $1.299