MC 1.0: TerraNova

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC 1.0: TerraNova
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-12-11, 00:39

The thread title was an accident, I swear.

A small group of us have focused our efforts on improving the area around the original spawn point, replacing a significant fraction of the desert there with a grassy plain. Much is done, much more is needed. To balance development with work effort, we have decided that our group efforts to terraform will be minimized while we invite other players to terraform their own chosen plots of land, dirt will be provided until it runs out.

The following image is a map of the desert outlined in yellow. The areas shaded red are the no build areas within the desert in the outline. These are the locations of several communal projects, or I should say individual projects that are designed for community use, and pre-existing structures like the developments of Stevuh and RowdyScot.

Desert Terraforming by billybobsky, on Flickr

709 has additional plans for communal buildings in the terraformed desert. He will likely want to extend and modify the no-go redzones above. All land claims in the desert will need to be posted in this thread before you can start to build. Veto power is granted to nearest neighbors, to the general player pool for particularly tall or obtrusive structures, and, in the case of construction near communal projects, their original builders (709 and myself). Paths should follow the sandstone, double slab constructions extant in the terraformed zone currently.

Elysium has terraformed a section of river near the south east of the plot (by way of Sun travel). If you choose a river side plot, please follow this aesthetic.

Plots requested should be reasonably sized (an example of an unreasonable size is the red outlined shape on the north west of the desert where LS is building *something* -- she is getting grandfathered in, however, no one else should expect this same freedom).

All the rules of the Good Neighbor Guidelines thread must be followed.

Edit:
Off-topic (click to toggle):
the outline looks like a woman in a seductive pose, no?
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-11, 00:46

Additionally: Please note that the ravine that leads off from the stairs to the mob trap/xp grinder is underneath that red triangle like protrusion. There is no construction allowed atop it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-11, 01:03

I think you should do more than request that the paths follow a certain material guidelines - go ahead and define a few major thoroughfares, to give structure for us to grow around. In fact, go ahead and subdivide the thing up into plots now. I'd help, but I'm notoriously in and out of the game.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-11, 01:17

No. The plots can be free form. Thus some paths are bound to not fit completely in a grid. Perhaps the paths that currently exist can be extended to their logical conclusions, but new paths should be allowed for that accommodate structures of various sizes.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-12-11, 01:45

I think before any claims are made, we should let 709 claim what he needs for his other community developments. I know he is planning the farm, at the very least.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2011-12-11, 02:00

I am glad my island does not have an HOA.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-12-11, 02:47

Ok, I'll bite:

I'd like this site (yes, it's quite large) for the TerraNova Arts Centre - a new theatre complex. About 3 stories high - 4-5 in a small spot for the flytower. It's probably a little wider than I need but I'd like some greenspace at the sides.

Last edited by Bryson : 2011-12-11 at 03:08.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-11, 16:17

So I just built something that's seasonal. It's not claimed land, but needs to be there at least until the New Year's Eve. Still working on it though.

Edit: Done!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2011-12-11 at 21:24.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-12, 02:21

Where we're going, we don't need roads.

But drew, trained to believe that all city planning needs core roads to be established, has insisted that roads be designated. never mind the fact that there are no utilities to deliver in minecraft, no cars to accommodate, no real disadvantage to spontaneously generated cityscapes, but i digress.

These are my proposed starting point roads in blue:

Roads by billybobsky, on Flickr

You will note they are sparse. This is intentional. I don't want people believing or being encouraged to think that every plot of land needs to be rectangular. It doesn't. If someone feels strongly about these proposed routes, speak up. Nothing is permanent in minecraft except lots and lots of tnt.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-12, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So I just built something that's seasonal. It's not claimed land, but needs to be there at least until the New Year's Eve. Still working on it though.

Edit: Done!
A couple more seasonal additions have arrived.
Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2011-12-12, 15:51

I like the FSM, very nice touch
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-12, 17:46

I see that. Nothing like creativity and even able to get the FSM done enough that I could actually tell what it is from the map. Nice work.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-12, 17:57

I saw it too!!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-12-13, 11:45

So like... people from other communities, can they stumble upon your TerraNova world, or is it server by server (isolated civilizations)?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-13, 11:50

We are isolated. Some servers like us operate in a white-list so only approved players can play on it. I'm pretty sure visitors can come onto our server but they can't do anything without white-listing.

Some servers are open for all.

None are really joined though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2011-12-13, 14:52

Here are my proposed areas for the farmer's market and subway terminal:

Initially I had thought about placing the grazing lands over the mob trap, but it seemed like a waste of perfectly good central property that could otherwise by used for something cooler (provided it has no basement ). Plus, the braying and sqoinking of the animals would probably drive anyone camped out at the xp trap mad. So I've decided to move the grazing to the E towards the river.

The subway terminal placement is the best I could find while still being downtown, but is totally open for discussion. I think it will miss most of the underground areas we want to preserve (see the cardinal & ordinal direction lines), but there will be a couple areas around the mall, chasm and trap we'll need to skirt at first. Some of the tunnels will be obvious who they go to, others will remain unbuilt until new settlements pop up in those directions.

I'm thinking along the lines of:

W: to Elysium and then bobsky
NW: to Turtle's then Dellphi & Drew
NE: to SpecMode's
SW: to Steveh & Rowdy then towards New Spawn
SE: to InvaderJak's
S: to the Arts Centre
N & E are unused at this point

Of course there would be connecting lines once the main ones get built, but I think that's a good starting point.

Tunneling very long distances isn't realistic, so I propose we keep transport lines underground within city limits, then have the option to transition to skyway once clear (keeping future city-sprawl in mind). Thoughts?

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-13, 15:05

I like. Perhaps we should start with the route that will have to avoid the trap etc. As drawn it passes through the trap. It will need to go east, veer north and then head NE...
¡Damned!

2011-12-13, 16:15

Thinking about this a bit more, I'm not sure that the ordinal lines are going to work. Burrowing out a bunch of diagonal tunnels isn't really the best way to encourage development downtown, so I'm re-submitting the idea as such:

The station will have slightly wider tunnels facing NSEW, with each tunnel meant to split at some point into 2 smaller directional tunnels (N/NW, E/NE, S/SE & W/SW). I think the tunnels should be directly below streets too to ensure that they won't be dug into and to clearly mark where land is available to build on.

How does that sound?

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-13, 17:14

Perfect, because it allows for stations to be built!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-13, 17:16

This, I'm liking it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-13, 17:23

I would like to build a nice, modern in-town apartment near all of this stuff. Question: does lightning/rain happen in this biome?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-13, 17:25

Nope.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-13, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I would like to build a nice, modern in-town apartment near all of this stuff. Question: does lightning/rain happen in this biome?
The desert was chosen for terraforming to use for these central facilities specifically because it never rains!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-12-13, 18:05

I'm liking the ideas here.
¡Damned!

2011-12-14, 03:05

Much fun tonight chasing Drew and his fucking sock puppets around, and helping build a small but entirely awesome side project initiated by bobsky made tonight thoroughly enjoyable.

I'm warming up to this world. It's starting to feel like home.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-14, 06:20

The Benny Hill music made it funnier. The worst part though was when I warped to Dellphi, followed closely by Bruce. After 2 laps around the place I noticed a creeper standing at the front door, waiting to borrow a cup of BOOM..... so I let him in.

Ooops.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-12-14, 16:01

So I'm officially a citizen of Terra Nova! I got a post office box. That makes it official. My post office box number is 8, because Mrs_Turtle took 27.

There are 8 letters in werejack, and also in my real name, so that should be a handy mnemonic. There are also eight letters in "mnemonic!" Words with eight letters are everywhere.

Also, it means I get a view of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I'm really impressed by how much stuff has been built so fast. You people are dedicated/crazy! I also saw Brad's city (with nuclear power plant, wuuut?) and the armory was much appreciated (thanks, T!).

I like the holiday decorations, too. Except, somebody needs to build a festivus pole.

Thx to rowdy for the tour

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-14, 16:56

Holy cow, HE REALLY IS BACK.

Nope. I'm not gonna believe it though until I encounter him in-game myself.

Nuh-uh.

Impostor.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-12-14, 17:56

So it sounds like you guys encounter one another on the server, running around construction sites, seeing Murbot in the red light district, etc. Is there like a little name bubble over your heads? How do you tell each other apart? Does Drew have a Pirate's beard and peg leg?

...into the light of a dark black night.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-14, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
So it sounds like you guys encounter one another on the server, running around construction sites, seeing Murbot in the red light district, etc. Is there like a little name bubble over your heads? How do you tell each other apart? Does Drew have a Pirate's beard and peg leg?
Oh heck yeah. We regularly collaborate on projects, too. Here's a really old pic from the old "Bridgeport" world I took after we completed the APPLENOVA sign together.

As you can see, there's in-game chat too.

Everyone has their own custom avatar (else you get the "Steve" default) and a name placard over their head.

edit: And a couple more from when we finished the passive trap in the old world:

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.