User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Tekkit! The future of AN MC?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Should we use Tekkit?
No, I'd rather we stay on regular Minecraft. 4 33.33%
Yes, let's try Tekkit for a while. 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

MC: Tekkit! The future of AN MC?
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-03, 17:53

A few nights ago I revealed a secret plan to 709 and turtle that I've been considering for a couple of weeks. That plan is Tekkit. About a month ago, a coworker and fellow gamer (gerlocian in Minecraft) convinced me to set up a Tekkit server on my home computer so he could connect and give me a tour of what he'd been raving about. He sold me on the idea, and I've been trying to think about if/how to bring the AppleNova server into the fold.

TLDR: Should we use Tekkit? Please vote and discuss after reading.

So, what the heck is Tekkit?

Tekkit is a suite of mods for both the Minecraft server *and* client. Its name is a portmanteau of Technic and Bukkit. Technic is another set of Minecraft mods, but it's only for single-player use. Tekkit, on the other hand, is designed for multiplayer use.

Tekkit has ~18 mods of which the most noteworthy (IMO) are Industrial Craft, Equivalent Exchange, and Buildcraft. I could spend days trying to explain everything these mods do, and honestly I'm still very much a beginner to it all. What I can do here is point out a few of the features that sold me on it.

More ores, more blocks, more items. Even if you don't want to try the more "advanced" features in these mods, right out of the box you get more things in nature to play with. There are new ores, new gems, new trees, new stones, new gems, and new flowers/plants. These alone would make the game more interesting. For instance, you can make all the standard tools with the new gems, and you can take the new tree logs and plants and use them decoratively.

Here's an example of a volcano that generated with a huge cone of basalt, one of the new stone types. Also, volcanoes!

Electric devices. Industrial Craft adds a number of new blocks and items that require electric power to operate. Don't confuse this with redstone power; this is much more analogous to real electricity. You'll need generators, wires, and batteries. There are furnace-like generators, solar panels, wind mills, water mills, geothermal generators, and last but not least nuclear generators.

This is the rubber tree. If you build anything that needs electricity, you will probably need rubber to make insulated cables. That "knot" on the side of the tree can be tapped for sticky resin which can be crafted into rubber. Come to know and love this tree.

One example of the simplest machine setups you probably want to build has a generator and macerator. The generator is what it sounds like: a block that uses fuel (like coal) to generate electricity. The macerator is an electric machine that takes ores and grinds them into dust (iron ore becomes iron dust). You can then cook the dust into ingots. Why go through this extra step? Normally, 1 ore yields 1 ingot. In this setup, 1 ore yields 2 dust, and 1 dust yields 1 ingot. So, you've doubled your output! There are also some new dust recipes, such as adding gold dust to redstone to get glowstone dust. With the right machines, you can even turn coal into diamond.

(Psst... you can craft powered mining lasers and jetpacks too.)

Magic. Equivalent Exchange adds a suite of items and blocks that make alchemy, transmutation, and magic items possible. You can create divining rods, repair talismans, torches that repel hostile mobs, magic rings that let you fly or change your environment, devices that condense energy into items (such as diamonds), and more. In EE's view, every item in the game has an EMC value, and that value is used for transmuting one type of object into another. For example, cobblestone has EMC 1 but diamond has EMC 8192. Some items go as high as 2.5 million EMC.

Automated mining. BuildCraft adds "engines" that allow you to automate mining with quarries and "pipes" to move items back and forth. I haven't really gotten into this stuff yet, but it sure looks neat. Here's a picture of four quarry engines!

OK, so, this all sounds great, but what's the catch?

There are several.

First, the Tekkit server is very resource hungry. We can't run *both* regular Minecraft and Tekkit Minecraft on the same server. We have to pick one or the other.

Second, because Tekkit requires client-side mods, this means you'll have to download a separate Minecraft launcher app to connect to Tekkit servers like ours. Fortunately, the Tekkit/Technic people have made this very easy. It's a single download that automatically updates itself just like Minecraft.

Third, because Tekkit relies on a bunch of mods working together, and because these mods are fairly complex, most of the mods aren't kept up to the latest version of Minecraft. As a whole, Tekkit behaves like Minecraft 1.2.5 (not the latest 1.3.2). This means that a few of the newest MC features like villager trading, sidewise logs, and temples/pyramids are not present.

Forth, and this is the last one, because Tekkit adds a bunch of new naturally-generates ores and plants, we'd need to torch our current world and start fresh again. We could use the same seed if you like (the Tekkit version with the same seed actually looks identical on the surface), or we could pick a whole new world. That said, if you've invested time in building something that you'd like carried over to the new world, like Ely's arena or 709's Arco, I can transport them just as before.

Thoughts? Does this sound like a good or bad idea? How interested are you guys in something like this?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Foj
Veteran Member

2012-09-03, 18:22

I have played on a Tekkit server and at the moment my feeling is 'meh'.

Maybe it's because I haven't really gotten the hang of Tekkit, but I'm leaning more towards sticking with regular Minecraft.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-09-03, 19:45

One thing I was thinking about is that maps would not be easy but possibly not impossible. I don't know if we can do a map since there are custom blocks.

That said, I'm open to it personally. Why not, it seems cool enough that I'm totally willing to give it a shot. I might even figure out a way to set up both MC servers here.

What resources are needed that would prevent both from running on Lenny? Let's see how easy this is to overcome.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-03, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
One thing I was thinking about is that maps would not be easy but possibly not impossible.
Yeah, I thought about this after I posted and forgot to come back and mention it. The generated world map would technically still "work", but the new blocks would be invisible just like the new-to-1.3 blocks are already invisible now. We could leave it on, but something else Tekkit gives you in-game is the...

Minimap! You can toggle it on/off and configure its appearance, but this certainly helps to fill in when you don't have a "proper" map.

Quote:
That said, I'm open to it personally. Why not, it seems cool enough that I'm totally willing to give it a shot. I might even figure out a way to set up both MC servers here.
I was thinking I'd give this a couple of days on the forums to get feedback, then pull the old switcheroo if people are in favor. I'd time it, of course, so that we could get a bunch of people to experience that thrill of the first night in a new world. Maybe this Friday.

Quote:
What resources are needed that would prevent both from running on Lenny? Let's see how easy this is to overcome.
I've been trying to get a handle on exactly what kind of resources it would need, and unfortunately there's no good real data. It's just a bunch of kids throwing numbers in the air. The default Tekkit launcher allocates 4 GB just to the JVM. I think that's probably overkill, but from the sheer volume of classes I've seen these mods load, I would expect that a solid 2 GB is probably a reasonable starting place. Then there's disk IO. I would expect Tekkit to be a fair bit chattier than Bukkit again due to the nature of many of the mods. Tekkit will also be heavier than Bukkit on the CPU because there are more active threads and "tick" operations also due to the mods. How much exactly is dependent on how many things are active at a given time, though even the baseline should be a little bit higher too.

Basically, it's a big bag of unknowns. The biggest likely candidate is RAM, and I don't know whether CPU or IO comes next after that.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-09-03, 21:26

OK, well there is currently 4GB of RAM in the system and it can be bumped up. The RAM I'm using is here. So right now it's ~$50 per 2GB stick. I can fit another 4 sticks in there. (Six ECC DDR-2 667 SDRAM DIMM sockets for up to 24GB of memory.)

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-09-03, 22:35

Well I guess it's a good thing that I haven't embarked off on too much building.

I'm in favor for the basalt and volcanoes alone. All the added ores, alchemy, machinery... BOOM!

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-03, 22:53

Well, it figures... I found a good spot this time around and was really getting it explored and building like I knew what I was doing... had my own enormous underground ravine/rift, multiple dungeons, a cove, was close to spawn.... kind of a bummer, but I won't stand in the way of progress

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-03, 22:57

Look on the bright side: more new caves and dungeons to crawl!

I'm going to be testing various seeds over the next few days to find another good one like the one we've been on. The current world is so great because we're at a river, not far from the ocean, and have pleasant biomes in all directions. I won't just throw us at some random garbage that doesn't stand a chance of offering a hospitable spawn area. (We got the current world only after extensive testing on my part.)

Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2012-09-03, 23:12

I say we slice the boy in twain so you each get half.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-09-03, 23:50

I've seen the Yogscast Tekkit videos, so I have somewhat of an idea what it can do...and, well, I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. I guess the new stuff might be cool enough to play around with, maybe counteract the general 'meh' feeling I've had toward the game for a while now.

Either way, I'm unlikely to have much time to play for the foreseeable future, what with school starting last week and working 20 hours a week on top of that. We'll see, I suppose.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-09-03, 23:51

I like the idea in theory, but not at the cost of burning the vanilla server. Is there really no way to get both? Even adding another server?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-04, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I like the idea in theory, but not at the cost of burning the vanilla server. Is there really no way to get both? Even adding another server?
Well, bear in mind that all of the "vanilla server" features continue to work (save for bleeding-edge ones like villager trading). If you want to just mine, smelt, craft, farm, and build like we do in the current world, you're still free to do exactly that without ever touching a single machine or alchemical block. These mods just add more options to the game.

I hesitate to run both servers side-by-side not just because it'll tax our resources but also because it would fracture our already small community. I'd rather us go all-in or not at all. If we vote no, we stay vanilla.

I mentioned this earlier as an option: if we want to ease into this, we can certainly use the same seed as the current world, and I can copy over some of the structures as requested. We can't just continue to use the same world file because none of the new ores and plants would exist in any of the explored areas. We'd have to trek out a thousand+ blocks in any direction to find anything new.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-04, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
I guess the new stuff might be cool enough to play around with, maybe counteract the general 'meh' feeling I've had toward the game for a while now.
This is really how I feel about Tekkit. I've become bored with Minecraft and want something new to do (which is why I've tinkered with programming my own Bukkit plugins). Tekkit delivers newness is spades, enough to keep one challenged for a long time.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-09-04, 00:57

My worry - how resource intensive is it for the client side? I'm chugging along on a pretty old MBP at this point, not to mention I don't have the best ISP. The features look like a lot of fun, but if it is too much for some of us to run it, it may not be worth it.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-04, 13:43

Well, just so that it seems like there was a rounded and fair discussion of this I'm going to vote 'no', though I suspect that 'yes' will win.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-04, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
My worry - how resource intensive is it for the client side? I'm chugging along on a pretty old MBP at this point, not to mention I don't have the best ISP. The features look like a lot of fun, but if it is too much for some of us to run it, it may not be worth it.
Unfortunately, I don't know either. This weekend could be a trial run. If it looks like it's too taxing client-side, that would be good reason to rollback to regular Bukkit/MC.

Tekkit does include a copy of Optifine. That should help to some degree.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-09-04, 15:34

That's fair, Brad. I think a weekend trial would give all of us a better gauge on if we like it or not.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-09-04, 16:14

My other concern is that it makes the barrier to entry (tech-savvyness-wise) pretty high...

How about we give it a try for a "rev". (ie; I think we've all come to terms with the idea that a shiny new world is required once every few months - we could try it for a "world" and see what we think.)

The industrial stuff makes me afeared of what Bobsky will achieve, though.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-04, 17:09

Quote:
My other concern is that it makes the barrier to entry (tech-savvyness-wise) pretty high...
I thought so at first too, but the Tekkit launcher really is actually pretty easy. The only extra step is downloading it and choosing "Tekkit" the first time through.

1. Download and open the launcher.

2. Chose "Tekkit" from the drop-down menu (only necessary the first time; this is remembered after first launch) and hit login (same as regular MC).

3. Done. It looks mostly like regular Minecraft.

The very first time, it'll auto-download/install the mod packages with progress bars, but that's about it.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-04, 17:20

Does your cut/paste from the old world include explored caverns and such? If I could have that it wouldn't be quite as bad.

EDIT: but what happens when Minecraft updates? What is the likelihood that this 'branch' of the tree will become outmoded, unable to be reconciled with future MC updates? (which I suppose to mean, how stable and reliable are the group doing this business?)

Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2012-09-05, 01:04

I'm cool with trying something different. I've always had it in the back of my mind to build a brewery anyways, and it looks like you can grow hops and ferment all kinds of styles of beer with this. !!!

Plus, ruby blocks. I've been whining for ruby blocks for forever now.

It'd be cool if we moved some of the community-asset buildings over as well. Not so much scrambling for wood, paper/sugarcane (RUM!), colored wool and whatnot.

If we stick with the seed that we're running now I'd be fine with that too. Drew can have his island back, Elysium sounds like he found a spot he likes, I like my dual-mountaintop that I've just started on, etc. Though, if we do move some of the buildings, we may want to set the Arco a little farther from spawn... it does loom, and there's been a few good natured digs. I'd be willing to give the IOI up too if we wanted to use that island so close to spawn as an area to set up our initial town - could be fun for everyone to have some beachfront property and a more tightly-knit starting city. Plus there's mad caves underneath.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-05, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Does your cut/paste from the old world include explored caverns and such? If I could have that it wouldn't be quite as bad.
I can preserve underground passages, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Explored caves/ravines will be depleted of resources, but with Tekkit there are whole new resources that you'll want to gather. You'd be better off preserving just your shelter and supplies. The caves themselves will regenerate just fine in the same locations and shapes as they are in the current world, and they'll be repopulated with tasty tasty ores.

I did some experimenting locally, and it looks like the copy-pasting should generally work. Any new-to-1.3.x blocks (namely: colored wood stairs, colored wood slabs, sideways logs, emerald blocks, and cocoa pods) will need to be mass-removed by me because in Tekkit the IDs for those blocks are now something totally different. That's not too bad, though.

If you're thinking you'd like me to copy something over from the current world to the new world, go ahead and pick out the coordinates. All I need are the opposite corners of the "box" in 3D space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
EDIT: but what happens when Minecraft updates? What is the likelihood that this 'branch' of the tree will become outmoded, unable to be reconciled with future MC updates? (which I suppose to mean, how stable and reliable are the group doing this business?)
Tekkit is already behind "MC proper" as far as updates go. Tekkit is currently based on Minecraft 1.2.5, not Minecraft 1.3.2. Tekkit is able to get around this, though, by having its launcher (effectively) download a specific older version of the minecraft.jar and use that.

What about when Tekkit itself updates to support 1.3.x? I don't know, honestly. I guess we'll find out when that happens.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-09-06, 00:55

So, in the interests of research, I've downloaded Tekkit and am trying it out single player.

Thoughts so far:
  • Installation is indeed a breeze. I'm impressed.
    It doesn't break your existing Minecraft install. (This is a good thing.)
    Gosh, there's a lot of items. A LOT. There's content for years in this thing.
    Will the "Too Many Items" grab-what-you-want interface persist in Multiplayer? Or is that configurable? Because it seems to resurrect the creative mode problems of the previous world.
    I found OIL. Am I rich now?
    Minimap makes my danglies tingle.
    I can see the storage rooms now. They'll be enormous and confusing.
    Interdiction torches are amazing.
    Nukes are going to be A Problem.

Last edited by Bryson : 2012-09-06 at 01:29.
¡Damned!

2012-09-06, 01:10

Imma skeered of bobsky projects too.

Skyranch? Feh. How about a nuclear Skyranch!!! 3 Mile fucking floating island.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-06, 02:42

I'll try to get on and mark out my place.

I suppose that I want to keep:

- the constructs on top of my island
- at least the first few lower levels under my island
- the skellie trap to the east of my island and
- the illuminated rift just to the east of my island

The remaining passages could be re-explored, and I suppose filled with the new ores and candies and such.

Is that a huge task for you?

Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-09-06, 04:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Imma skeered of bobsky projects too.

Skyranch? Feh. How about a nuclear Skyranch!!! 3 Mile fucking floating island.
bwahahahaha.... I just wish i had time/internet...

b
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-09-06, 10:17

Checked out the Tekkit wiki last night...that's...a fuckton of information to absorb, LOL!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-06, 14:42

Quote:
Installation is indeed a breeze. I'm impressed.
It doesn't break your existing Minecraft install. (This is a good thing.)
Yep! It's super easy to fire up Tekkit vs. Minecraft. They are different launchers, and they put files in different places. Tekkit puts its support files in ~/Library/Application Support/techniclauncher/tekkit. I'm working on an updated texture pack for Tekkit, and it'll go in there instead of the normal Minecraft directory.

Quote:
Gosh, there's a lot of items. A LOT. There's content for years in this thing.
That was kinda the idea of why I decided to push this. Even if Tekkit lags behind the official Minecraft releases, there's plenty to keep one occupied until the update finally comes.

Quote:
Will the "Too Many Items" grab-what-you-want interface persist in Multiplayer? Or is that configurable? Because it seems to resurrect the creative mode problems of the previous world.
Not really. The "Too Many Items" item-browsing mod will still exist client side (or you can remove it manually if you like), but in the SMP setup, it only gives items to ops. This is actually more a nuisance than you may think, and I plan on opting out of op because of it (server-side commands are good enough anyway). For non-ops, clicking an item shows you the recipe for it! This is far far more useful.

Here you can see, for example, that the iron furnace has two possible recipes. You can also see that it's not entirely happy with my texture pack...

This basically makes it so you don't have to constantly reference the wikis to figure out how make things. It works for most items, but it seems there are a few that it doesn't work for.

Quote:
I found OIL. Am I rich now?
Grab it with a bucket to get an oil bucket! You can use oil to power BuildCraft machines, I think. I've encountered lots of oil in my tests but have no idea how to really use it or effectively harvest it.

Quote:
Interdiction torches are amazing.
YES. Crazy expensive too, so it'd better be worth it. Here's the recipe!

That pink thing in the middle is a Philosopher's Stone (a central item for the magic stuff in Equivalent Exchange). Here's its recipe!

Quote:
Nukes are going to be A Problem.
Potentially, yes, but it'll be a while before people have the resources to make nuclear reactors (except for 709 or bobsky). Generally speaking, you want three things when you build a nuclear reactor: build it as deep underground as you can, build it with lots of coolant and shielding, and build it a moderate distance away from your main HQ.

The nuke the weapon is admittedly much cheaper to build than a nuclear reactor. If someone decides to build and set those off, well, we may have to revise the membership list.

¡Damned!

2012-09-06, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
(except for 709 or bobsky)

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-06, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The nuke the weapon is admittedly much cheaper to build than a nuclear reactor. If someone decides to build and set those off, well, we may have to revise the membership list.
Also, I just found out that there's an audit log when anyone places a nuke. So, you can easily spot the troublemakers.

Quote:
15:57:14 [INFO] Player BradSmith placed a nuke at -62/65/288