User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Tekkit! The future of AN MC?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Should we use Tekkit?
No, I'd rather we stay on regular Minecraft. 4 33.33%
Yes, let's try Tekkit for a while. 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

MC: Tekkit! The future of AN MC?
Page 4 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5  Next Thread Tools
delphi

2012-09-13, 04:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Oh, and speaking of the nether!

I built a platform around 0,0 so if you die in the nether and respawn there, hopefully you'll have a better chance of escape instead of getting caught in an infinite loop of falling into lava and dying again.
Thanks for taking the time to build that platform.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-13, 08:23

I need to do a bit of nethering soon so I can get me some glowstone and connect my island to spawn for quicker visits... and down to the place in the sound for faster sand harvesting! Thanks for making that safe.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-13, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi View Post
Thanks for taking the time to build that platform.
Did the platform manage to catch you safely the next time you reconnected?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-09-13, 10:02

Question - don't know who it was that used the Tower of Fanatics last night. Whoever it was was nice and left a sign, but they didn't say if it is their stuff still in the bottom floor one or if they put my Dark Matter back inside the Condenser. Just wondering if what is currently inside it is mine or someone else's? I think what I will do is leave signs by each device, and whoever is currently using can leave name, material, and amount needed. I'll put chests on each level, too.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-09-13, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Weird. I'm on a 2+ year old hackintosh (Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 512 MB GeForce 9800, Mac OS X 10.6.8) and rarely have problems. At least, I certainly don't have any more performance issues than I've had with vanilla Minecraft.

What settings are you guys using? I use the "normal" viewing distance, graphics set to "fast", advanced OpenGL off, and "performance" set to VSync. I also tend to quit most other running apps and only have iTunes and Chrome (usually with a few tabs on wiki pages) in the background.

The only lagging I encounter tends to be due to network congestion, as far as I can tell. I have network and CPU monitors in the menu bar, and I'm never maxing out the CPU on my machine.
I haven't tweaked my settings in Optifine enough yet. I ws stubborn and insisted on the settings I had on the vanilla MC (far, fancy, etc. ). I'll have to make some tweaks, but the CPU doesn't seem to be the issue. Seemed to be RAM (Safari and Tekkit don't play nice) and network congestion.

Turns out I guessed wrong on my graphics card and it was a Geforce GTX 260 1GB instead. So yeah, I shouldn't be having issues.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-09-13, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Question - don't know who it was that used the Tower of Fanatics last night. Whoever it was was nice and left a sign, but they didn't say if it is their stuff still in the bottom floor one or if they put my Dark Matter back inside the Condenser. Just wondering if what is currently inside it is mine or someone else's? I think what I will do is leave signs by each device, and whoever is currently using can leave name, material, and amount needed. I'll put chests on each level, too.
Hi Rowds. Sorry - that was me. Shortly after that, I fell in the hole, and couldn't get out. And had to get Drew to come help me. But then couldn't place a block because the bottom level is all chests and condensors. And accidentally made 48 bajillion arrows. Which I then had to transport back to the recycler at my house. But I accidentally left an arrow in the input slot, so when I came back, the chest was full again. And then make glowstone to replace the block I had to break to get out of the hole. It was a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

That thing is bloody powerful. I wonder if a design using pistons to vary the glowstone proximity might help with lower EMC production?

So, in short, I forgot I left stuff in the repair chest. I think it's just a couple of ruby tools in the bottom right-hand corner.

The Dark Matter in your chest and in the replicator are all yours. I restarted the Dark Matter once I was finished.

In other news: I have many arrows if anyone wants any.

Oh, and my recycling got me a grass block, so if anyone is trying to get a seed block for grass without building one of those weird staircases, hit me up.

Last edited by Bryson : 2012-09-13 at 12:24.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-09-13, 13:14

I really need to finish mining out my caves so I can concentrate on the fun stuff with a huge resource pile at hand.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-09-13, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Hi Rowds. Sorry - that was me. Shortly after that, I fell in the hole, and couldn't get out. And had to get Drew to come help me. But then couldn't place a block because the bottom level is all chests and condensors. And accidentally made 48 bajillion arrows. Which I then had to transport back to the recycler at my house. But I accidentally left an arrow in the input slot, so when I came back, the chest was full again. And then make glowstone to replace the block I had to break to get out of the hole. It was a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

That thing is bloody powerful. I wonder if a design using pistons to vary the glowstone proximity might help with lower EMC production?

So, in short, I forgot I left stuff in the repair chest. I think it's just a couple of ruby tools in the bottom right-hand corner.

The Dark Matter in your chest and in the replicator are all yours. I restarted the Dark Matter once I was finished.

In other news: I have many arrows if anyone wants any.

Oh, and my recycling got me a grass block, so if anyone is trying to get a seed block for grass without building one of those weird staircases, hit me up.
LOLOL! You can place stuff on them if you are sneaking, so a sneak jump and place works. I don't know what to do about the two-deep hole, though. I've tried considering other ways.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
¡Damned!

2012-09-15, 11:02

Just thinking ahead here, but what solar panel system is best to use? I notice on the Tekkit wiki that there's 2 types: the IndustrialCraft one and the RedPower one that produces "Blutricity" - whatever the fuck that is. The thing that I like about the RedPower type is that there's a Light Sensor. I could see big uses for that.

Can you mix this Blutricity thing with regular old electricity or do I have to choose one or the other?

Thoughts? Halp?

So it goes.
gerlocian

2012-09-15, 15:10

So to answer your question the IC2 solar panels are only good for IC2 machines and the red power ones are only good for red power machines so in essence, both. Depends on what you are trying to power.

If you need IC2 solar panels, there is a machine that makes them in the rig near the reed farm. Those are for everyone. The machine automatically makes one every 1.5 minutes so you can grab a handful if you need them.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-09-15, 15:52

I thought there was a way to convert...
gerlocian

2012-09-15, 16:13

Ok, just for informational purposes:

IndustrialCraft (IC2) - EU (Energy Units)
The energy needed by IC2 machines. A generator block produces it and it's carried to it's destination via cables. It's important to note that EU's travel in packets of varying sizes and that the packet size / distance traveled determines the cable that you should use to transfer the energy. Packets can be defined as amount of EU's per tick.

EU's packets come in 4 flavors:
* Low Voltage (LV) - packets of 32 or less EU's. Produced by Generators, Solar Panels, LV Solar Panels, Geothermal Generators, Water Strainers, Wind Turbines, and Water Turbines or converted using a LV transformer. Carried by Tin Cables (packets up to 5 EU's only), Copper Cables, and any of the higher voltage cables. Can be stored in Batboxes and higher.
* Medium Voltage (MV) - packets of 33 - 128 EU's. Produced by MV Solar Panels or coverted using MV transformer. Carried by Gold Cables (1 and 2 times insulated) or higher voltage cable. Can be stored in MFE's or higher.
* High Voltage (HV) - packets of 129 - 512 EU's. Produced by HV Solar Panels, Nuclear Generators, or using a HV transformer. Carried by HV Cable (1, 2, or 4 times insulated), Glass fiber cable. Can be stored in MFSU's.
* Extreme Voltage (EV) - packets higher than 513 EU's. Produced by Nuclear Generators. Carried only by HV Cables up to 2048 EU packets (any higher and no cable can carry it). Nothing can store it unless stepped down with a HV transformer.

Cables have different rates of EU bleed. You can see them here: http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/Cables#Cable_Efficiency
When reading the chart, it's important to note that the EU loss is per packet. So if you are sending LV packets over Insulated HV cables, you will end up with less energy at the end unless you upconvert multiple LV pakets to HV packets.

Example:
Uninsulated HV cables can carry EU's up to Extreme voltage and bleed one EU per packet every block. Consider the difference between sending 1 HV packet (512 EU's) versus 16 LV packets (32 EU's) over 20 blocks. At the end, you would expect to have the same amount of power, since 16 32 packet EU's equals 1 512 EU packet. However, since the energy loss is per packet, you would lose only 20 EU's in total with the HV packet (1 EU loss * 20 blocks * 1 packet), versus 320 EU's in total with the LV packets (1 EU loss * 20 blocks * 16 packets). In the end with the LV packets, you would end up with 192 EU's. With the HV packets, you would end up with a whopping 492 EU's.

The best cables in my opinion are the glass fiber cables, which can carry HV packets and lose 1 EU per 40 blocks. However, because they require diamonds to make, they can be very prohibitive to build if diamonds are rare where you live.

Finally, there are 3 storage options for storing your unused EU's for a rainy day.
* Batbox - stores up to 40,000 EU's and will accept and release in LV packets.
* MFE - stores up to 600,000 EU's and will accept and release in MV packets.
* MFSU - stores up to 10,000,000 EU's and will accept and release in HV packets.

If you have any questions, ask here or catch me in game. In a week or so, I'm going to forsake the magic and begin living the scientist lifestyle, so if anyone wants to join me and see this in action, let me know.
gerlocian

2012-09-15, 16:16

You can convert Buildcraft energy into IC2 energy with certain machines, and back from IC2 energy to Buildcraft energy with an Energy Link, but as far as blutricity, I don't think that's possible.
gerlocian

2012-09-15, 16:17

More information on IC2 energy.

The energy needed by IC2 machines. A generator block produces it and it's carried to it's destination via cables. It's important to note that EU's travel in packets of varying sizes and that the packet size / distance traveled determines the cable that you should use to transfer the energy. Packets can be defined as amount of EU's per tick.

* Low Voltage (LV) - packets of 32 or less EU's. Produced by Generators, Solar Panels, LV Solar Panels, Geothermal Generators, Water Strainers, Wind Turbines, and Water Turbines or converted using a LV transformer. Carried by Tin Cables (packets up to 5 EU's only), Copper Cables, and any of the higher voltage cables. Can be stored in Batboxes and higher.
* Medium Voltage (MV) - packets of 33 - 128 EU's. Produced by MV Solar Panels or coverted using MV transformer. Carried by Gold Cables (1 and 2 times insulated) or higher voltage cable. Can be stored in MFE's or higher.
* High Voltage (HV) - packets of 129 - 512 EU's. Produced by HV Solar Panels, Nuclear Generators, or using a HV transformer. Carried by HV Cable (1, 2, or 4 times insulated), Glass fiber cable. Can be stored in MFSU's.
* Extreme Voltage (EV) - packets higher than 513 EU's. Produced by Nuclear Generators. Carried only by HV Cables up to 2048 EU packets (any higher and no cable can carry it). Nothing can store it unless stepped down with a HV transformer.

Cables have different rates of EU bleed. You can see them here: http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/Cables#Cable_Efficiency
When reading the chart, it's important to note that the EU loss is per packet. So if you are sending LV packets over Insulated HV cables, you will end up with less energy at the end unless you upconvert multiple LV pakets to HV packets.

Example:
Uninsulated HV cables can carry EU's up to Extreme voltage and bleed one EU per packet every block. Consider the difference between sending 1 HV packet (512 EU's) versus 16 LV packets (32 EU's) over 20 blocks. At the end, you would expect to have the same amount of power, since 16 32 packet EU's equals 1 512 EU packet. However, since the energy loss is per packet, you would lose only 20 EU's in total with the HV packet (1 EU loss * 20 blocks * 1 packet), versus 320 EU's in total with the LV packets (1 EU loss * 20 blocks * 16 packets). In the end with the LV packets, you would end up with 192 EU's. With the HV packets, you would end up with a whopping 492 EU's.

The best cables in my opinion are the glass fiber cables, which can carry HV packets and lose 1 EU per 40 blocks. However, because they require diamonds to make, they can be very prohibitive to build if diamonds are rare where you live.

Finally, there are 3 storage options for storing your unused EU's for a rainy day.
* MFSU - stores up to 10,000,000 EU's and will accept and release in HV packets.

If you have any questions, ask here or catch me in game. In a week or so, I'm going to forsake the magic and begin living the scientist lifestyle, so if anyone wants to join me and see this in action, let me know.
gerlocian

2012-09-15, 16:19

Example:

gerlocian

2012-09-15, 16:30

Cables have different rates of EU bleed. There is a good chart over at the Tekkit Wiki that describes this really well. When reading the chart, it's important to note that the EU loss is per packet. So if you are sending LV packets over Insulated HV cables, you will end up with less energy at the end unless you upconvert multiple LV pakets to HV packets.

Example:

SpecMode
Wait what

2012-09-16, 05:36

Wooo! First nuclear reactor on the server, thanks to gerlocian (seriously, he did more work on this thing than I did!). It is now powering all of the electrical equipment at my place without breaking a sweat, and I need to start coming up with more stuff to use it for.
¡Damned!

2012-09-16, 09:50

Spec gave me the tour late last night/early this morning. Friggin awesome. This Tekkit stuff is seriously cool.
¡Damned!

2012-09-16, 10:40

Aaaand... I think we should make it a point to keep the nuke stuff away from Spawn. Kinda goes without saying, but there you go.

"Mob Hill Crater" does have a nice ring to it though.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-09-16, 13:23

I am missing everything. *sadface*
gerlocian

2012-09-16, 17:16

Sorry about the multipost. No idea what happened.
gerlocian

2012-09-16, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Wooo! First nuclear reactor on the server, thanks to gerlocian (seriously, he did more work on this thing than I did!). It is now powering all of the electrical equipment at my place without breaking a sweat, and I need to start coming up with more stuff to use it for.
That setup is really cool Spec. I just took your design and ran with it.

For those of you using computer craft, make sure you move every so often before the server drops you.
¡Damned!

2012-09-16, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I am missing everything. *sadface*

I'd just consider this a head start, because once you're up to speed you're going to rock it.
gerlocian

2012-09-16, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Aaaand... I think we should make it a point to keep the nuke stuff away from Spawn. Kinda goes without saying, but there you go.

"Mob Hill Crater" does have a nice ring to it though.
Yes I wholeheartedly agree. I would add that if you build a reactor, you should insulate the rest of the world with at least 1 layer of reinforced stone around it.

Also, building it far underground wouldn't be a bad idea.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-18, 00:59

Spec took me on a tour of his tekkit reactor and it looks SO simple!

I'm super crazy impressed with the replicator thingy.

And it's fun to see the plebes flying around now.

I won't get this advance, owning mainly to my laziness and ability to be distracted by my own projects IRL.

Still, VERY impressed with what you've all accomplished in such a short amount of time!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-19, 12:23

Has it rained yet in this world?

It doesn't seem like it has.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-09-19, 20:00

I dont recall seeing it either. No complaints from me!

Grey and I shared the very first beer on the server earlier.
¡Damned!

2012-09-25, 15:31

I'm loving Tekkit, but I have a question wrt to the integration of plain 'ol MC into it. I understand that Tekkit is a bunch of hand-picked mods that are pretty robust and cool, but what I don't understand is why we had to go back to 1.2.something. Is it that the mods aren't all compatible with 1.3? Or is there a separate team working on 1.3/1.4 integration with the vanilla MC?

Wooden-flavored slabs, for a simple example. Do all the mods need to be updated to make something like that happen, or is it dependent on one or two mods? Or does it have nothing to do with the mods? Not complaining mind you, just curious as to the why and what.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-25, 20:32

Quote:
what I don't understand is why we had to go back to 1.2.something. Is it that the mods aren't all compatible with 1.3?
Correct.

Quote:
Or is there a separate team working on 1.3/1.4 integration with the vanilla MC?
Tekkit is a suite of mods built by totally separate developers. The individual developers are working on updating their mods to MC 1.3.x. Some of the mods are ready now for 1.3.x (and have been for a while), but some of them still are not. When all of them are ready, Tekkit will be updated to use MC 1.3.x.

Quote:
Wooden-flavored slabs, for a simple example. Do all the mods need to be updated to make something like that happen, or is it dependent on one or two mods? Or does it have nothing to do with the mods? Not complaining mind you, just curious as to the why and what.
The problem with new official blocks from Mojang is that their internal IDs overlap with IDs that the mod developers have already selected to be used by their new blocks. So, either the MC block IDs need to be changed, or the mods need to be changed (and the world "fixed" at the same time to convert the mod blocks to their new IDs).

For example, the 1.3.x birch slabs use the same IDs as Tekkit's Equivalent Exchange mod's antimatter relay mk 2, IIRC. I saw this when I imported the old world to copy over a few structures like the tree arco and Turtle's house, and I had to explicitly convert or remove blocks that were mapped to something else. Something will have to be done to either rewrite MC's slab IDs (and any other new blocks) or convert old Tekkit blocks to their new IDs so the antimatter relays (and other blocks) don't suddenly vanish and get replaced with wooden slabs.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-10-10, 01:58

So, I haven't had a chance to try it for myself, but this thread on the Minecraft forums has a mod/patch that should fix the crippling lag issues most of us have been encountering in the Nether. (Since we're basically running MC 1.2.5, you can ignore recent posts about compatibility with 1.3+).