User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

15" TiBook DVI to LG 42" Plasma RGB Problem

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
15" TiBook DVI to LG 42" Plasma RGB Problem
kuhmfufu

2005-03-03, 17:03

I recently purchased an LG 42" Plasma TV (Model DU-42PX12X) and want to connect my 15" TiBook. The Plasma TV has a DVI connector, but it is in use with my Digital Cable box. The Plasma also has an RGB input. So, I decided to use the DVI-to-VGA adaptor that came with my TiBook.

When connected the second screen image on the Plasma is VERY green, even after calibration. I also hooked my TiBook to a 17" VGA (Viewsonic G771) monitor with the same result.

When connecting, I connect the TiBook last. The only common items when connecting are the TiBook and the DVI-to-VGA adaptor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Marcellus Wallace

2005-03-04, 08:28

Maybe I didn't understand your problem fully... but you did restart your TiBook after everything is connected?
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-03-04, 09:27

try to see if the problem still exists while running in clamshell mode (the internal screen off and lid closed... you need as external mouse and keyboard tho.

also, have you experienced any problems using the dvi port in general? try just temporarily removing the DVI connection from your cable box and see if it will work for the Ti...

Do you still have applecare? Do you have the 667/800 or 867/1.0 series?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
kuhmfufu

2005-03-04, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus Wallace
Maybe I didn't understand your problem fully... but you did restart your TiBook after everything is connected?
Marcellus-
I have tried all variations. I restarted the TiBook with the monitor powered up and not powered up. I plugged in the monitor connection to the TiBook (TiBook Last and Monitor Last) In all cases the green screen on two different monitors (LG Plasma TV and ViewSonic 17") persisted.
kuhmfufu

2005-03-04, 12:06

Paul - The problem still exists in Clamshell mode. I will try just a straight DVI connection this evening. I don't have Applecare on this book which is a 1GHz series.

Hope that helps narrow it down.

Thanks for responding.
Marcellus Wallace

2005-03-04, 12:39

Don't want to sound stupid but i think that if any colors (red, green, or blue) are missing, maybe the DVI-VGA cable simply is broken... can't imagine that it has something to do with resolution... so... bent or broken pins in the cable connector could cause an improper connection... ah well, probably it isn't all that simple... good luck to you!

Denkend aan Holland zie ik breede rivieren traag door oneindig laagland gaan, rijen ondenkbaar ijle populieren als hooge pluimen aan den einder staan.
kuhmfufu

2005-03-04, 12:44

Quote:
Don't want to sound stupid but i think that if any colors (red, green, or blue) are missing, maybe the DVI-VGA cable simply is broken... can't imagine that it has something to do with resolution... so... bent or broken pins in the cable connector could cause an improper connection... ah well, probably it isn't all that simple... good luck to you!
Not stupid at all. Problems like these are always one stupid step from being solved. I will re-check the pins.

Thanks Marcellus!
kuhmfufu

2005-03-07, 10:56

Quote:
So...I checked the DVI-RGB adaptor....sure enough...a bent pin on a brand new adaptor. So many times it comes down to the stinkin' cable! SO...not stupid at all...I'd dare say...genius!

Thanks again!!
Marcellus Wallace

2005-03-07, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhmfufu
So...I checked the DVI-RGB adaptor....sure enough...a bent pin on a brand new adaptor. So many times it comes down to the stinkin' cable! SO...not stupid at all...I'd dare say...genius!

Thanks again!!
Wuhaaa! You're very welcome, kuhmfufu... enjoy your RBG!