XCode 2.4 is out... (late!)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
XCode 2.4 is out... (late!)
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-08-09, 13:01

Hi there..

I was actually nosing around for something else on ADC, and noticed that XCode 2.4 has been out for a few days...

In all the excitement with WWDC and XCode 3.0 I must have missed that..

Anyway, for those that knew, sorry, and those that didn't, here's the link..

http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
washington mac user
can't read

2006-08-09, 13:15

Thanks scratt. Man that's a huge file 915MB. Must have alot of new stuff.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-09, 13:26

The Xcode download has always been huge like that. The download contains a full installation of all developer tools, not just updates.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-08-09, 13:26

Well, Web Objects is bundled as well. WO is probably 50% of the download, with documentation eating up another ~300MB, IIRC. The actual Xcode and Interface Builder programs represent a very small portion of that 915MB.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-08-09, 13:39

WebObjects is only about 60 MB. The bulk is the documentation.
washington mac user
can't read

2006-08-09, 13:49

This is awesome! Xcode 3.0 looks awesome too!

this is for you chucker

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/8/9/4932

you probably already saw this cause your a fan of it.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-08-10, 07:22

2.4 seems to have some issues..

It broke on a very large piece of code that compiled fine yesterday on 2.3
Part of the problem was something to do with OpenAL.
It refused to accept any of the header files from a version that has been fine for months.
I ended up finding another version kicking around on my hard drive it was happy with!
Still not 100% sure what that was about.. But I have resolved it, so "carpet brush under head sand.."

So I've "solved" that and then had some issues with '__isnanf' which is part of OpenSceneGraph, which I also use in my project. Something to do with 10.2 and pre 10.2 compatibility!

I am thinking perhaps that something had been updated that I missed, so I got a new version of OSG and that has the same problem.. That build is specifically set up for Universal Binarys and so on..

I am looking into this now, but it seems that 2.4 does some crappy stuff when it installs, and I am at a loss to find what...

Tread lightly with this one..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'

Last edited by scratt : 2006-08-10 at 08:06.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-08-13, 18:44

Good to know, scratt. I'll hold off on installing this one.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-08-13, 18:56

scratt, seems like there were some bugs with Xcode 2.4 - I know Mozilla had posted a workaround for some issue with building Firefox using XCode 2.4, some problem with one of the header files.

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...roubleshooting

Last edited by MCQ : 2006-08-13 at 19:16.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-08-13, 19:03

I guess I'll hold off on downloading this one. My first thought was "Damn it! I *just* finished downloading 2.3! Now I have to do that again!".
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-08-13, 21:28

Another thing that seems to have 'broken' in 2.4 is error indicators in source files... You know, the little red dots that show you where errors are after compiling, which also show up in the scroll bar in each editor window..

Now the only place I get errors is in the main compile report window in the swathes of text that compiling produces..

Is there an option somewhere I am missing, anyone? I guess at best that could simply be a prefs problem.

Hurumph!

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-08-15, 03:39

*bump*

It's been officially announced now..
Don't know if the problems have been addressed.

Quote:
Xcode 2.4, the latest release of Apple's integrated development environment for Mac OS X, is now available for download from the ADC Member Site. With this new release you can now develop for 64-bit Mac Pro Systems and create four-architecture Universal applications (32 and 64 bit for both Intel and PowerPC).
I have resolved most of my issues, and found that a lot of them have to do with preferences being set back to defaults. I am guessing this may be because of some of the new options such as 64 / 32 bit for both Intel and PowerPC.

It may also be because certain compile options for older projects are now invalid, or don't match the new feature set fully.. But that's just a guess, as I am not digging into it, because my stuff is now working!

Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-08-15, 12:34

Oh, is that all it was? I mostly use the defaults, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for me. Speaking of preferences, do any of you know where I can tell it to put my company name instead of "__MyCompanyName__"?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-08-15, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Oh, is that all it was? I mostly use the defaults, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for me. Speaking of preferences, do any of you know where I can tell it to put my company name instead of "__MyCompanyName__"?
defaults write com.apple.Xcode PBXCustomTemplateMacroDefinitions '{ "ORGANIZATIONNAME" = "My Company";}'

(You could have just Googled for "__MyCompanyName__" but whatever.)